The Nielsen Company

Updated Jul 20, 2014

3.0 1,127 reviews

The Nielsen Company Chief Executive Officer Mitch Barns

Mitch Barns

Pros
  • They have a great work life balance with work from home options available(in 81 reviews)

• Work hours are very manageable, work from home possibilities are nice(in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is challenging given the workload is often too much(in 99 reviews)

• depending on your role, you could be working long hours in some stressful environments(in 67 reviews)

1,127 Employee Reviews

Great Job...

ProsNot micromanaged, free reign to do your job, company car(can be either a ford fusion or escape), gas card, iPhone, management where I am is great, very very flexible, off weekends, good benefits. Very good pay if you hit bonus which is not hard. You can pretty much move anywhere in the US, and they will pay relocation costs.

ConsWe are supposed to be self scheduling reps, but the ladies in the office will at times schedule appointments and move things around in your schedule without asking. You're by yourself all day, so it does get lonely. Emails constatntly coming in, so you feel like you're on call. Equipment is old, but new equipment is on the way.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing. Overall, a great job. They're constantly trying to improve the environment for their employees.

Positive experience in complex business environment

Vice President (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsNielsen offers a high energy environment that is focused on innovation. Another pro is that Nielsen has some very smart people working at the company and it's a very collegial culture.

ConsNielsen has a highly complex organizational structure, so speed of projects is often slowed by too many management layers and decisions by committee.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus in simplifying the organizational structure and allow employees more freedom to experiment with creative ideas.

A Global opportunity for anyone who wants it and actually comes to work!

Senior Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) Oldsmar, FL

ProsGreat environment. Great home/worklife balance. The most diverse company in the U.S.

ConsEvening bus routes are not available to some in need.

Advice to Senior Management92 years a leader in the Industry. I think I'll take my advice from them!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

lot's of opportunity

GBS Emerging Leaders Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosgreat company culture (very flexible, open, and modern), young employees, ability to work remotely, flexible working hours, nice offices, great name to have on a resume, and many travel opportunities.

Consdepending on your role, you could be working long hours in some stressful environments.

it's difficult for me to find other cons....

Good Company, Bad Call Center

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsGreat benefits with casual environment.

ConsShift hours are three to midnight and always have to work either a Saturday or a Sunday without the ability to ever change things around. Management just does not get it!

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop better Key Performance Indicators for the work force and there won't be as much attrition.

Great company, boring job

Panel Relations Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsThe company has great benefits and an awesome culture. It is an easy going environment and participation in activities is encouraged.

ConsBeing a Panel Relations Specialist is extremely boring! Management keeps on you to make more and more calls, with little to no incentive. It is really hard to stay motivated to call people to reprimand them for not wearing their meters every single day!

Ununified Leadership. Lots of messages, inconsistency. Improvement is slow, internal employee change seems frequent.

Analyst (Current Employee) Oldsmar, FL

ProsGreat People work there. not alot of job pressure, helpful co-workers, opportunities are plentiful internally. Benefits are good. time off is liberal without hassles. work is plentiful. casual work environment. Stable.

ConsCompensation is 10-20% below the local average for many roles. Promotion is difficult. In some areas managers change annually. This causes dissatisfaction, re-work, job insecurity, and rapid transfers. The annual review is not based on what you do everyday. It is more of an opinion of your manager. You need to cover yourself constantly. There is alot of turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation is 10-20% below the local average for many roles. Promotion is difficult. In some areas managers change annually. This causes dissatisfaction, re-work, job insecurity, and rapid transfers. The annual review is not based on what you do everyday. It is more of an opinion of your manager. You need to cover yourself constantly. There is alot of turnover.

A big mess of a company

Team Lead (Former Employee) Oldsmar, FL

ProsA lot of challenges and opportunities to learn new things. Mid level management is very friendly and fun to work with.Flexible on working from home, can call in to the early morning meetings. Looks good on a resume.

ConsToo much outsourcing to India, day to day process is very stressful for people who are not used to it. A lot of language and cultural barriers with the local TCS employees, and on top of that it is difficult to work with offshore teams because of the time difference. There is always a lack of clear communications between different teams leading to numerous conflicts and lengthy unproductive meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop relying on the outsourcing so much. The company is not saving money by paying less to the TCS. It is actually losing money because they need 3x more people and 3x time to do the same thing that a local resource could have done properly the first time. The overall skill and expertise level of TCS employees is low, not to mention their English language proficiency. This all leads to a high-stress work environment and causes a lot of anguish for the local US employees.

no worth it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosfree coffee and co workers are nice

Conslow pay, upper management not willing to hear out workers

Okay.

ProsCoworkers were great, flexible hours.

ConsTerrible management, and bad culture.

Worked for The Nielsen Company? Contribute to the Community!