The Nielsen Company

3.0 1,029 reviews

The Nielsen Company Chief Executive Officer Mitch Barns

Mitch Barns

1,029 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "They have a great work life balance with work from home options available"
    in 80 reviews
  • "Work life balance and work from home flexibility are great perks"
    in 56 reviews
Cons:
  • "Some positions require significant travel, which does impact work/life balance"
    in 90 reviews
  • "Long hours for some (You may start work at 7pm and not leave until 5am"
    in 60 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Intern, professional services

Professional Services, Analyst (Former Employee)
Wilton, CT

I worked at The Nielsen Company as an intern for less than a year

Prosoffice life, support, growth, learning, meaningful contributions, work schedule

Consnothing! I liked the job a lot.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a, I was just an intern

Great company, depending on organization you belong to

Director (Current Employee)
Tampa, FL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIt is a good company. Most teams are OK. There are some bad/incompetent areas. But overall the investing team has brought in the big company culture. I do believe company has become more open because of it. The cultural and global growth of the company for last 5 years has been remarkable.

ConsIf you do not belong to ex-GE or ex-Citi club, your chances for promotions are low. If you are middle management, you will work extremely hard and not get recognized for it, because someone's "friend" got the credit.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people. Look internally before you bring in people from GE and Citi. There is a lot of talent internally within Nielsen.

Great company to work for.

Director (Current Employee)
Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people at Nielsen are incredibly smart and the environment is very synergistic. There are a broad range of opportunities for career growth, and the company places a strong emphasis on developing their employees. Pay and benefits are above average.

ConsSome positions require significant travel, which does impact work/life balance. Also, for those who work in global roles, meetings can be very very early in the morning. While Nielsen embraces change, sometimes things change too fast and without enough thought for the impact/consequences.

Advice to Senior ManagementNielsen does a nice job developing their employees, but they could do a better job retaining top talent, especially after the time and effort they put into training people.

Six Sigma WAhhhh

Nielsen Field Representative (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of opportunity to travel.

ConsYou mess up once your done.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo much focus on six sigma, does not translate in the real world.

Good place to start a career

Human Resources Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at The Nielsen Company as an intern for less than a year

ProsBased on my experience as an intern at Nielsen, the culture was casual yet professional. My team was great to work with.

ConsIt may have been because I was only an intern but I felt like I was "managed" a little too much.

Moving in the Right Direction

I have been working at The Nielsen Company

ProsHas deep relationships with most every major advertiser in US
Well respected by clients
Digital measurement tools are quickly becoming industry standards
Global reach
Many opportunities to move around within company, countries
Smart and hardworking co-workers
Benefits generally very good and progressive
Company cares about communities and strongly encourages volunteerism & mentoring

ConsSmall raises and total comp for those below SVP level are average at best
Executive management all ex-McKinsey & GE
Understaffed in critical areas such as project management & technical ops
Research analysts are extremely overworked & underpaid
Very "corporate" relative to other digital media companies
Technology lags behind industry

Advice to Senior ManagementCommission and bonus structures need to be reviewed.
Not everyone is in awe of the McKinsey way

PT Membership Rep

PT Membership Representative (Former Employee)
Tulsa, OK

I worked at The Nielsen Company part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat company and management. Flexible schedule, home office and reimbursement for mileage. The training is exceptional and lots of opportunity to advance and/or transfer to other cities.

ConsNo benefits and must use your personal vehicle. Full time employees are entitled to company car and benefits.

Great opportunity to learn, longer term prospects not as strong

Associate Client Director (Former Employee)
Schaumburg, IL

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat place to learn, I was lucky enough to work on a big client so there was lots of attention/focus and our client was willing to try some fairly sophisticated analyses.

ConsHard to move up, especially if you are willing to work in the trenches, apparently you need to dazzle them to get a promotion. Also, pay is not great for the hours you end up working, but it is better than the competition.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter path for promotion and what is required, improve ability to be flexible with solutions for clients.

Resume Builder/Placeholder Position

Survey Writer, Evening (Current Employee)
Oldsmar, FL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company part-time for more than a year

ProsThe Ad Solutions Dept. offers paid training, a friendly and casual work environment and upward mobility options. There are many events to attend and involvement in the company is highly regarded. You are not judged randomly by your managers, but instead you are given the chance to see your in-depth metrics, where you also get a chance to set goals for yourself.

Good job for a skilled writer fresh out of college who wants to move up over time into an editing and then managerial role. Promotions are fast if you chase after them. Managers are understanding and time-off is not a problem since people are always looking to work an extra shift.

Because the nature of the job is so interesting, this position is great for building a resume. The people are friendly and there's a feeling of camaraderie in the office. You're also given a pretty nice desk and the offices are secure and modern.

Cons- Evening Shift: This shift is basically overnight, usually from 9 p.m. to sometimes 4:30 a.m.

- As you move up, you will most likely stay in the night shift, even after three or four promotions.

- Management sometimes turns a cheek to employees that act out of line/take advantage of the system, while holding almost too high of standards for others.

- Part-Time for a long time. I've met employees that have been kept at part-time for over a year, which is usually equivalent to 30 hours a week. This may be a good thing because working five nights on the night shift can be difficult and draining.

- Production environment that feels rushed each night.

- Criticism: You need to take it well. Some editors are understanding and others are nit picky.

- High Turnover: New writers all of the time because the nature of the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize and reward employees that perform well instead of giving them harder work while others skate by for the same pay.

Understand that working part-time and for low wages is unfair for college educated and talented writers, regardless of the economy.

Offer more opportunities for evening shift employees across the board.

Due to the part-time work and low wages it will be very hard to keep great employees around. Offer more opportunities for less people and they will stay, instead of wasting money training new workers each month that will likely leave too soon as well.

Excellent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time

ProsLearning environment, good values, smart people

ConsHeavy Workload, compensation,too centralized, sometimes too slow to react to opportunities

Worked for The Nielsen Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Nielsen Company reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Nielsen Company CEO Mitch Barns . All 1,029 reviews posted anonymously by The Nielsen Company employees.