The Nielsen Company Reviews

3.3
1,190 Reviews

The Nielsen Company Chief Executive Officer Mitch Barns
Mitch Barns

Pros
  • They have a great work life balance with work from home options available (in 81 reviews)

• Work hours are very manageable, work from home possibilities are nice (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is challenging given the workload is often too much (in 100 reviews)

• depending on your role, you could be working long hours in some stressful environments (in 67 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent leadership and culture. Great opportunities and lots of interesting challenges. Meaningful work - love it!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Wonderful people - smart, dedicated, focused on solving client problems.
    Meaningful work - leaders really care about connecting the dots
    investment in developing people
    Healthy culture and good communication

Cons

some leaders are really visible, some could do a better job. The town halls are great - could probably do more of these. Most leaders are easy to relate to and very approachable. The ones that weren't are no longer with Nielsen.

keep building the culture - it is a big asset
    develop more digital tools for employees

Nice company to work for

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Tampa, FL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Great autonomy with little micromanaging.
    Managers are very helpful.
    Managers use positive reinforcement
    Great office environment
    Beautiful campus

Cons

Low pay
    Standard office politics
    Working with off-shore teams can be frustrating

Great career where your performance drives opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've had 5 different jobs in the 10 years I've worked here and each one has been more interesting than the last. All were driven by my performance, potential and interest.

I also love the fact that Nielsen still has a lot of room for growth and development... the work I do will leave a legacy for many years to come.

I've had many opportunities to leave since I've been here but each time I keep coming back to the fact that Nielsen is a very interesting company, does great work with our clients and continues to innovate. It's a story I love to tell.

Cons

We don't have all the resources/systems you would expect to see at a big company and we're often dollar constrained from making the investments we should.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Summer Intern at Measurement Science

Current Employee - Summer Intern  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Gain extensive experience in data management and market analytics, the overall working environment is comfortable, working hour is flexible, you can meet a lot of really smart and nice people willing to help you and share with you their ideas and knowledge. Overall atmosphere encourage to you to constantly learn new things to improve yourself.

Cons

The location is kind of in the suburbs, not very convenient.

Great

Current Employee - Software Development Manager  in  Wilton, CT
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Wilton, CT

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Exciting opportunities and can grow and learn quickly

Cons

Very time consuming bc a lot of meetings.

they truly care about their employees

I have been working at The Nielsen Company part-time

Pros

their training is top notch and they care about their employees, from the top to the bottom

Cons

I haven't found any yet

keep up the good work

Decent company, easy to get comfortable

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very flexible telecommute policy (although my calls start at 6 am and don't stop until 10 pm).

My managers are awesome, and I love my teams. Teams are a hybrid of the old acquired company (where I come from) and Nielsenites.

I actually really love my job, but I also have a unique position that was created specifically for me.

Easy to get comfortable. Lots of team building (if you can spare the time). Happy hours fairly regularly.

Fairly progressive company, at least in my unit. Actively hires and promotes females and minorities from within (all thought the opportunities are few and far between).

Cons

The idea that Nielsen can compete in a tech-centric world is a joke. Everything is run on Internet Explorer. Seriously? IE?

Off-shore tech support is basically useless.

My company was acquired three years ago. Zero on-board or integration training.

Disorganized and lack of central focus. I have no idea what 90% of Nielsen does. Business units don't collaborate, and sometimes compete with the same clients for projects.

Growth in my business unit is limited. I'd have to jump ship to move up, but given that our business units are not all aligned I would basically be starting over as a newbie. Upward and lateral transitions only really benefit senior management.

Benefits package is really disappointing compared to what our previous company had.

Nielsen will suffer if it cannot drag its technology and platforms into the 21st century. We are so embarrassingly far behind the times.

We need a more united vision and better integration as a company. Our business units are actively competing with each other for client work.

Client Manager

Current Employee - Client Manager  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Client Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Consulting methods are controlled by you once the management has trust in you. Good work life balance if you can manager your time

Cons

Sometimes too structured, but that is the big disadvantage of a large corporation. Meritocracy and slow promotion prohibit strong performers to stick out. Pay is below competitors in my opnion.

Reward your people faster, don't provide HR excuses all the time

I love Nielsen.

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Recent changes in the executive team demonstrate the company's commitment to promoting talent from within. The CEO and several other members of senior leadership are tried and true Nielsen veterans who have grown up with the company. People here are passionate about doing the right thing for our clients every single day, and there is so much more teamwork and collaboration here than anywhere I've worked in the past. I can honestly say I love working for Nielsen.

Cons

I can only comment on the U.S., where I am based. The benefits are not as competitive as other organizations I have worked for in the past, especially the medical insurance plans.

Great company, a lot of opportunity to drive change

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time

Pros

A lot of opportunity to drive change

Cons

Work/Life balance needs improvement. In some cases, it is expected to work long hours

Worked for The Nielsen Company? Contribute to the Community!