The Nielsen Company Reviews

3.3
1,187 Reviews

The Nielsen Company Chief Executive Officer Mitch Barns
Mitch Barns

Pros
  • They have a great work life balance with work from home options available (in 81 reviews)

• Work hours are very manageable, work from home possibilities are nice (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is challenging given the workload is often too much (in 100 reviews)

• depending on your role, you could be working long hours in some stressful environments (in 67 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work at as long as in the right group

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Oldsmar, FL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Oldsmar, FL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. Challenging opportunities
    2. Flexible working hours, possible telecommute if needed.

Cons

1. Limited Manager interaction - primarily happens during performance appraisal.
    2. Poor Work-Life Balance
    3. Single vendor outsourcing impacted delivery quality to large extent negatively

Not the worst

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time

Pros

The company has a good focus on culture. It is also global which allows for diversity in the type of people you work with. I believe the salary was competitive.

Cons

There is bad process, or in many cases lack there of. People seem to continue to complain even though there is a lot of rewards given out to many employees (not sure if it is just a 'favorites' game).

Out on an island

Former Employee - Nielsen Field Representative  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Nielsen Field Representative in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great training, car, and system daily dashboards. A fraternity of field techs. Lots of driving in New Mexico. Meet lots of interesting panelists. Learn a lot about audio and video feeds. Excellent demographics sample.

Cons

Monitoring equipment is outdated compared to televisions and home audio, games, DVD players. Customers constantly change their source signals. Lots of overtime.

Update your monitoring technology. Simplify it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Could benefit from better management.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very flexible work environment. Many employees work from home regularly and managers are generally fine with employees staying home or coming in late/leaving early to accommodate schedules.

Cons

As a global company and internationally recogized brand, I expected Nielsen to be a better organized institution. There is not a lot of communication across departments; it's hard to learn the full scope of the business; org charts barely exist. As nice as many managers are, they lack the true leadership skills to nurture employees for success and future growth. It seems to be an every man for himself type of mentality. I don't see the emphasis on mentorship as I have with past companies I have worked for. All employees could truly benefit from a rigorous management training program. Managers should learn that their role means more than having direct reports, but actually leading their teams to do their best work. This includes providing regular constructive feedback, establishing a relationship with team members, taking the time to really learn about their role and day-to-day work.

Invest in leadership training. Focus on achieving more diversity in senior leadership roles (specifically C-suite).

Great Job...

I have been working at The Nielsen Company

Pros

Not micromanaged, free reign to do your job, company car(can be either a ford fusion or escape), gas card, iPhone, management where I am is great, very very flexible, off weekends, good benefits. Very good pay if you hit bonus which is not hard. You can pretty much move anywhere in the US, and they will pay relocation costs.

Cons

We are supposed to be self scheduling reps, but the ladies in the office will at times schedule appointments and move things around in your schedule without asking. You're by yourself all day, so it does get lonely. Emails constatntly coming in, so you feel like you're on call. Equipment is old, but new equipment is on the way.

Nothing. Overall, a great job. They're constantly trying to improve the environment for their employees.

Top heavy and Stagnant

Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst  in  Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance (regular hours 9am-6pm), autonomy is how you do you work, relatively good insurance package, summer hours, annual cost of living increases

Cons

The culture for junior associates is terrible. This is a very top heavy organization where the tenured people stuck together and are very cliquish, making it difficult for junior people to collaborate. As always your manager can make a huge difference. I've had great managers in the past, but my manager now refuses to help me grown (though I have made many attempts to add value and ask for feedback), and HR and upper mgmt could care less. If you want an easy pay check and a good brand in your resume, this is a good company for you. After that, move on to a company that has more value in its employees. A lot of the people I've interacted with here are very rude and full of themselves.

Don't assign direct reports to managers who are not qualified to handle them it affects morale. Train managers to mentor and encourage junior associates who demonstrate value and ask as for feedback.

A formerly great place to work has been hurt by the General Electric culture instituted under Dave Calhoun

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time

Pros

More opportunities to work in different types of marketing research than any other company in the world

Cons

They don't appreciate the people who meet their revenue goals year-in and year-out.

Middle management seems to have been devalued in favor of former consultants and recent college graduates. Middle managers are critical to the development of the new hires.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Intern  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Intern in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at The Nielsen Company as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Opportunities for development
    People and the Culture
    Meritocracy
    Global Company
    Leadership company
    Senior management accessible

Cons

Not many international opportunities
    Not many vacation days
    Low pay for interns

Inspiring co-workers, challenging work, and a "bring your whole self to work" environment make Nielsen a great company!

Current Employee - Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My favorite part about working at Nielsen is the people. The smart, friendly people make coming to work something I look forward to every day. As far as the company culture, Nielsen can best be described as open and flexible. As long as you keep performing at a very high level, Nielsen will never count hours or days in the office - it's more about the quality of work you do than when you do it. Additionally, Nielsen's culture of meritocracy recognizes those that do perform at a very high level and invests in their personal and professional growth and development.

Cons

Like many companies, Nielsen creates a very fast-paced work environment which can sometimes be a challenge given limited time and resources.

Very enjoyable

Current Employee - Client Manager  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Client Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Motivating, well-managed, easy to move roles

Cons

Difficult to manage clients and work life balance

Worked for The Nielsen Company? Contribute to the Community!