The Nielsen Company

3.4
1,265 Reviews

The Nielsen Company Chief Executive Officer Mitch Barns
Mitch Barns

Pros
  • They have a great work life balance with work from home options available (in 89 reviews)

• Flexible work hours and the ability to work from home when necessary (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is challenging given the workload is often too much (in 110 reviews)

• depending on your role, you could be working long hours in some stressful environments (in 70 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to start your career

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm writing this from the perspective of a new college hire who joined their Professional Services or Client Service business. Not sure I can speak for other non-salary functions at Nielsen, but in Professional Services, you are given a clear career path and are rewarded for good work via promotions / compensation / additional opportunities. This is good for continuing your career at Nielsen, transferring to other companies, or applying to business school - the skills you gain on the job are definitely sought-after.

1. challenging, impactful work for clients
    2. no better place to do marketing analytics consulting
    3. there's heavy investment in developing people
    4. wide range of opportunities available if you ever get bored with your role or location; global opportunities, which are available after 1-2 years with the company
    5. working from home / flexible work schedule

Cons

1. Compensation for comparable positions at other companies can seem low despite HR saying you're being paid market competitive salary.
    2. Very clear career path for the first 5-7 years of your career and then it becomes hazy how to navigate upwards in such a large company. You have to get good at networking / office politics, etc much like any other company.
    3. Your manager has a large say in your career and it's luck of the draw whether you have a good one or not. Some managers are better than others and Nielsen could likely do some people management training so it's more standardized and best practices are communicated. People are being evaluated against this now though, so that might help.

Continue to promote meritocracy and transparency in how decisions are made. Perhaps train people on how to manage people before you have new hires reporting into them.

Great learning experience

I worked at The Nielsen Company

Pros

Learnt a lot on the job and were very patient in training new interns.
    Great company values - hard working employees passionate about what they do at Nielsen.
    Opportunity to work at one of the world's leading market research companies.

Cons

- - - -

Great career where your performance drives opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've had 5 different jobs in the 10 years I've worked here and each one has been more interesting than the last. All were driven by my performance, potential and interest.

I also love the fact that Nielsen still has a lot of room for growth and development... the work I do will leave a legacy for many years to come.

I've had many opportunities to leave since I've been here but each time I keep coming back to the fact that Nielsen is a very interesting company, does great work with our clients and continues to innovate. It's a story I love to tell.

Cons

We don't have all the resources/systems you would expect to see at a big company and we're often dollar constrained from making the investments we should.

they truly care about their employees

I have been working at The Nielsen Company part-time

Pros

their training is top notch and they care about their employees, from the top to the bottom

Cons

I haven't found any yet

keep up the good work

Great

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Wilton, CT
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Wilton, CT

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Exciting opportunities and can grow and learn quickly

Cons

Very time consuming bc a lot of meetings.

I love Nielsen.

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Recent changes in the executive team demonstrate the company's commitment to promoting talent from within. The CEO and several other members of senior leadership are tried and true Nielsen veterans who have grown up with the company. People here are passionate about doing the right thing for our clients every single day, and there is so much more teamwork and collaboration here than anywhere I've worked in the past. I can honestly say I love working for Nielsen.

Cons

I can only comment on the U.S., where I am based. The benefits are not as competitive as other organizations I have worked for in the past, especially the medical insurance plans.

Inspiring co-workers, challenging work, and a "bring your whole self to work" environment make Nielsen a great company!

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My favorite part about working at Nielsen is the people. The smart, friendly people make coming to work something I look forward to every day. As far as the company culture, Nielsen can best be described as open and flexible. As long as you keep performing at a very high level, Nielsen will never count hours or days in the office - it's more about the quality of work you do than when you do it. Additionally, Nielsen's culture of meritocracy recognizes those that do perform at a very high level and invests in their personal and professional growth and development.

Cons

Like many companies, Nielsen creates a very fast-paced work environment which can sometimes be a challenge given limited time and resources.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Intern in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Intern in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at The Nielsen Company as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunities for development
    People and the Culture
    Meritocracy
    Global Company
    Leadership company
    Senior management accessible

Cons

Not many international opportunities
    Not many vacation days
    Low pay for interns

Very enjoyable

Current Employee - Client Manager in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Client Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Motivating, well-managed, easy to move roles

Cons

Difficult to manage clients and work life balance

A Global opportunity for anyone who wants it and actually comes to work!

Current Employee - Senior Corporate Recruiter in Oldsmar, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Corporate Recruiter in Oldsmar, FL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great environment. Great home/worklife balance. The most diverse company in the U.S.

Cons

Evening bus routes are not available to some in need.

92 years a leader in the Industry. I think I'll take my advice from them!

The Nielsen Company Photos