The Nielsen Company

3.4
1,286 Reviews

The Nielsen Company Chief Executive Officer Mitch Barns
Mitch Barns

Pros
  • They have a great work life balance with work from home options available (in 89 reviews)

• Flexible work hours and the ability to work from home when necessary (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is challenging given the workload is often too much (in 110 reviews)

• depending on your role, you could be working long hours in some stressful environments (in 70 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic company and culture

I have been working at The Nielsen Company

Pros

Driven by values, integrity, and doing the right thing. Smart, collegial people. Interesting work. Serious about diversity Great company to work for.

Cons

Fast changing organization can be confusing. Difficult business environment for CPG clients and retailers. Not for you if you are not detail oriented.

Great opportunity to challenge yourself and expand your professional skills

I have been working at The Nielsen Company

Pros

Nielsen offers a wide range of services and has a client base across 100+ countries that is the envy of their competitors. From a personal perspective, Nielsen gives folks career opportunities which are unparalleled.

Cons

Nielsen has a large client base which offers constant challenges to folks. This could challenge an individual's work life balance.

Intern

Former Employee - For Client Service - Retail Measurement Services (RMS) in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at The Nielsen Company as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The employees really provided guidance and opportunity for interns to learn. They give real tasks with responsibilities (not photocopying/ running errands) and provide constructive feedback for the intern.

Cons

There is not negative feedback with regards to my internship

Keep up the good work!

Have been working in the company for more than 2&1/2 yrs. Extremely professional atmosphere. Very satisfied

Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Learning, cross functional responsibilities, team work, employee care, CSR approaches all these plus everything that one can think to have within an organization, is there in Nielsen. Sky is the limit over here for the right people.One would fail to find any shortcoming in this organization if he/she has a professional approach. Company to spend a lifetime, in short.

Cons

At lower level management there is a lot of bureaucracy

Governance on lower level management.

Great place to start your career

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm writing this from the perspective of a new college hire who joined their Professional Services or Client Service business. Not sure I can speak for other non-salary functions at Nielsen, but in Professional Services, you are given a clear career path and are rewarded for good work via promotions / compensation / additional opportunities. This is good for continuing your career at Nielsen, transferring to other companies, or applying to business school - the skills you gain on the job are definitely sought-after.

1. challenging, impactful work for clients
    2. no better place to do marketing analytics consulting
    3. there's heavy investment in developing people
    4. wide range of opportunities available if you ever get bored with your role or location; global opportunities, which are available after 1-2 years with the company
    5. working from home / flexible work schedule

Cons

1. Compensation for comparable positions at other companies can seem low despite HR saying you're being paid market competitive salary.
    2. Very clear career path for the first 5-7 years of your career and then it becomes hazy how to navigate upwards in such a large company. You have to get good at networking / office politics, etc much like any other company.
    3. Your manager has a large say in your career and it's luck of the draw whether you have a good one or not. Some managers are better than others and Nielsen could likely do some people management training so it's more standardized and best practices are communicated. People are being evaluated against this now though, so that might help.

Continue to promote meritocracy and transparency in how decisions are made. Perhaps train people on how to manage people before you have new hires reporting into them.

Great learning experience

I worked at The Nielsen Company

Pros

Learnt a lot on the job and were very patient in training new interns.
    Great company values - hard working employees passionate about what they do at Nielsen.
    Opportunity to work at one of the world's leading market research companies.

Cons

- - - -

Great career where your performance drives opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've had 5 different jobs in the 10 years I've worked here and each one has been more interesting than the last. All were driven by my performance, potential and interest.

I also love the fact that Nielsen still has a lot of room for growth and development... the work I do will leave a legacy for many years to come.

I've had many opportunities to leave since I've been here but each time I keep coming back to the fact that Nielsen is a very interesting company, does great work with our clients and continues to innovate. It's a story I love to tell.

Cons

We don't have all the resources/systems you would expect to see at a big company and we're often dollar constrained from making the investments we should.

they truly care about their employees

I have been working at The Nielsen Company part-time

Pros

their training is top notch and they care about their employees, from the top to the bottom

Cons

I haven't found any yet

keep up the good work

Great

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Wilton, CT
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Wilton, CT

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Exciting opportunities and can grow and learn quickly

Cons

Very time consuming bc a lot of meetings.

I love Nielsen.

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Recent changes in the executive team demonstrate the company's commitment to promoting talent from within. The CEO and several other members of senior leadership are tried and true Nielsen veterans who have grown up with the company. People here are passionate about doing the right thing for our clients every single day, and there is so much more teamwork and collaboration here than anywhere I've worked in the past. I can honestly say I love working for Nielsen.

Cons

I can only comment on the U.S., where I am based. The benefits are not as competitive as other organizations I have worked for in the past, especially the medical insurance plans.

The Nielsen Company Photos