The Nielsen Company

3.3
1,177 Reviews

The Nielsen Company Chief Executive Officer Mitch Barns
Mitch Barns

Pros
  • They have a great work life balance with work from home options available (in 81 reviews)

• Work hours are very manageable, work from home possibilities are nice (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is challenging given the workload is often too much (in 100 reviews)

• depending on your role, you could be working long hours in some stressful environments (in 67 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst company ever, I'd rate 0 stars if that was possible.

Former Employee - Survey Editor  in  Oldsmar, FL
    Former Employee - Survey Editor in Oldsmar, FL

Pros

Looks good on a resume to employers who have not worked there themselves. And if they have worked there they may hire you based on pity alone for having to work at and deal with such high levels of incompetence.

Cons

Management are bullies and it takes months for HR to do anything about them, if at all. HR usually only acts after droves of team members complain or leave.
    No one has any work ethic or morale because they do not feel valued or secure in their jobs. Management is constantly changing, always for the worst.
    When the team members can't stand the bullying and mismanagement of certain Managing Editors and quit, they aren't replaced so the team members who are left just become more and more over worked and taken advantage of.
    Outsourcing is to the point where you have to call India on your personal cell phone just for them to reset your computer password. It's so hard to understand them that it ends up taking an hour from your day just to have them complete a simple task.
    People are kept in part-time positions for years while people that exhibit clear signs of being psychopaths are promoted based on their skills as manipulative bullies and brown-nosers.
    They claim to promote based on merit but then don't interview every person that applies for a job and choose old white men for jobs over people with metrics twice as good as the old white men.
    Once an employee is promoted to full-time the benefits are expensive and cover nothing. No one ever receives raises except those special people recruited for the 'fast track' to management. Another slap in the face to people who work hard but are passed over and ignored.
    I had one managing editor confront me about not taking a break when I had enough work for 3 employees to complete because we were short staffed. He said he had watched me complete my work and knew exactly how long (down to the exact minute) it took me to do each task. I found it creepy and invasive. I also wonder about exactly how much work he has to do if he has time to sit around and watch other people Big Brother style.
    If your stock is rising so quickly and you have such high profits, then how dare you not offer good benefits and pay to the people who have helped the company.

Stop taking advantage of your employees. Stop outsourcing to India, it's disgusting. Offer full-time positions to every person who works hard and fire the losers who don't put in any effort. Stop promoting people that would make good serial killers.

Very disorganized organization

Current Employee - Membership Representative
    Current Employee - Membership Representative

Pros

Work on your own schedule, company car,

Cons

no work - life balance, no support system, no co workers to help keep you motivated.

learn the changes before intoducing to the field, to much confusion

depends on the manager you have

Current Employee - Client Service Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Client Service Manager in New York, NY

Pros

flexible work hours, interesting work, good ERGs; some opportunity to travel

Cons

vey behind technology wise. TCS outsourcer is very inefficient and has no integrity or ethics.

very poor work life balance; the VPs and SVPs demand 24/7 support

I work for a manager who promotes his favorites and ignores all others.

Get rid of TCS Asap.. their business practices will get you in trouble

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No transparency

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Pros

Nielsen acquired the company that I used to work for, so I can't say too much about the "pros" for this company. My pay scale was decent.

Cons

The company kept touting their "transparency" after the acquisition. However, I found that they were anything but transparent. Perhaps their definition of transparency meant constantly telling us that there were no new developments whenever asked. The secrecy and paranoia is rampant with this company. I'm glad to no longer be with them at this point.

Keep your eyes and ears peeled because this is a cutthroat company.

Great for travelers

Former Employee - Membership Representative
    Former Employee - Membership Representative

Pros

Company vehicle, flexible scheduling, bonus opportunities could almost double salary.

Cons

Lots of travel, in some instances 3-4 states, 3 nights/week in a hotel if working NPM

Decent company to put on your resume

Pros

The company is laid-back, the compensation is okay and the office culture is relatively good.

Cons

Extremely bad management, no room for growth, and there is no morale.

Managers should be trained to do their jobs correctly.

Mobile Test Technical Driver

Current Employee - Mobile Test Technical Driver  in  Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Mobile Test Technical Driver in Lynchburg, VA

Pros

Some of the leaders that I work with are real team leaders. They use words like 'we' and 'us' instead of you and me. In my department most of the leaders seek to really put the employee's before the product and because of that employees put the product before themselves.

Cons

It seems that the more I work for the company the greater responsibilities without gratuitous reward for my work. I am asked to do more and more outside of my work pay as if I am salary when I are not. My pay has not increased for the last three years.

Breathing down my neck is not helping me in my job. I need Nielsen to stop asking for the minutes of every second of what I am doing and let me just do my job. Nielsen shows no trust. When Nielsen bought the company I worked for they said that they liked the format. That was five years ago and they, though they said that they would not change it, have changed it completely.

Change is neither good nor bad, it's simply different.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Columbia, MD

Pros

Company truly believes in community involvement. Career development programs are available for gifted candidates. There are many areas within the organization to apply your skills and experience.

Cons

The immense size of the company sometimes creates delays with integrating departments. Technical support is remote which compounds the delivery of simple requests.

Continue to listen to your employees. They are your number one asset, not technology.

Research Interviewer (RI)

Former Employee - Research Interviewer/Outbound Calling
    Former Employee - Research Interviewer/Outbound Calling

Pros

The company was great to work at for a while. I took pride in the Nielsen name. If you enjoy call center work, but don't like sales, this could be for you. It's OUTBOUND calls with various surveys etc.
    Pay was good, especially if you're bi-lingual. The management team was great, but there's been many changes since I left in late 2010, so I can't comment on it now? It's cold calls, but it's not sales. You'll have to make your own decision.

Cons

The company was sold about a year before my departure. Many overseas personnel were brought in and trained. They then had massive lay-offs as the overseas people took over the jobs of long time employees. They looked for any reason to fire or lay-off people by clamping down on rules & policies. Like many companies, it was about cutting out fat to the bone and dumping the load on those who remained. I left because I thought the company had lost all sense of integrity. If you can't find work, give it a try. Everyone's experience is unique. The company goes out of it's way to give special treatment to Hispanic bi-lingual, including higher pay. If that's you, you'll probably have it mad!

Do "something" about break time. I worked almost 8 hours with a 30 minute lunch, and ONE 15 minute break!
    For years we had a second break, but that was taken away during the squeeze out. The one way to have great, dedicated employees is to pay well and make them WANT to work hard!

Had a great experience at Nielsen, great growth potential

Former Employee - Manager  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Tampa, FL

Pros

They offer great benefits at Nielsen and here you have opportunity to expand and grow your career.

Cons

Having jobs outsourced, long hours

Worked for The Nielsen Company? Contribute to the Community!