The Nielsen Company

Updated Mar 9, 2014

The Nielsen Company Chief Executive Officer Mitch Barns

Mitch Barns

24 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people, great clients, great company name.

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for less than a year

ProsWork with amazing people who are super helpful.

ConsLow compensation and buggy tools

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the tools we use.

good place to start your career - get out as fast as possible

Senior Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than a year

Prosvery structured entry level analyst program that really does reward the top performers in the first 1-2 years if you work hard and SMART. good strategic frameworks for use later on / good techniques to apply in the future. great learning experience, great network, very smart people. EXCELLENT happy hours / good comradery among analysts and managers - will be friends with these folks for life!

Consvery political environment the higher up you get. lots of in-fighting between the different sectors of the company. inability of direct management to motivate analysts or offer meaningful benefits for work completed. accepted negativity among analysts given the often insurmountable workload. some teams display a major lack of "we're all in this together". if you are in the CPG division, you will not be able to get a job outside of CPG if you stay at nielsen for more than 2-3 years. additionally terrible benefits / HR team, lots of empty promises from senior management, too much corporate jargon and pandering.

Advice to Senior Managementrecognize that the market is changing and more and more companies can/will make do without nielsen-branded data and information.

Excellent place to work, and good teams of people. I enjoyed working here because you were your own boss.

Field Membership Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent pay, with flexible work schedules.

ConsLots of driving in the field, as Field Membership Rep.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. Try to pay more for this field reps, as they very valuable people in their communities they serve. They are not just delivering packages on company trucks. They are executing very hard work, for the ratings report to be created for our advertisers partners.

Powerful and rich, but not real data

Web Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than a year

ProsNielsen is very powerful, with a lot of people (good or bad depends), possibility to travel and interact with big clients.

ConsHaving a career there is very difficult, the salaries are low. The employees tracking system is terrible. The data they sell to the costumers is not always real or exact. The products are automated, you need a lot of manual operations to get what you want.

Advice to Senior ManagementNielsen should hire new software engineers and try to develop better products.

Second rate

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time for less than a year

ProsOpportunity to interface with some of the largest companies in a variety of capacities; ability to travel; breadth of different jobs internally and places to work (throw a dart at a map of the US and you'll likely hit a Nielsen office/FTE).

ConsFeels behind the times; opportunity for innovation is throttled by upper management who appears to have advanced by virtue of their political savvy and client service, versus their analytic chops. For employees in the US, the emphasis is decidedly on the soft skills because much of the heavy lifting is done by folks in India.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe opportunities for Nielsen continue to be huge in the marketing analytics and measurement space; strive to move faster and invest more in people who can keep up.

Good place to work, but opportunities to grow are highly dependent on your manager being able to push upper management

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMiddle level management work hard and are on your side
There is openness about the health of the group, revenue, potential wins and losses
Good work life balance

Cons-Upper management changed frequently during my few years there causing changes in direction and focus. This affected the group as a whole.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to enforce performance management reviews and stress the importance of feedback so that managers have those discussions with their team sooner rather than at the end of the year affecting performance incentives.

Poor leadership, high turnover

Client Services Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood opportunities for training, exposure to high profile clients, smart and motivated colleagues, nice location just outside of downtown San Francisco

ConsLeadership at all levels is lacking immensely, particularly in the Telecom business unit based out of San Francisco. Work/life balance is very poor at times with little concern or appreciation from senior management

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that such high turnover means that management is doing something wrong. Many highly qualified and productive employees are asked to leave and there is a high volume of turnover among those younger associates who must take on greater workloads as a result

Member rep

SAN Fran (Former Employee)

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than a year

ProsPay, benefits, time, flexibility, car

ConsNo work life balance, difficult people to deal with

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair

A very uninspiring place to work

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than a year

ProsBrand name, exposure to large clients, global company.

ConsTerrible morale, problems with attrition, uninspiring middle-managers, lack of transparency, extremely bureaucratic, inflated titles, noncompetitive salaries, too much micromanagement.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a reason every analyst at Nielsen is miserable. It's about time someone started asking the right questions and acting on the problems to turn the morale issues around. Hiring smart people from top colleges and letting them waste away at dead end jobs will not be sustainable for long term growth. Unless of course you're fine with hiring all leaders from outside.

Very dynamic environment where having an entrepreneurial spirit helps.

Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLots of training opportunities
Good support for client service

ConsExperience governed more by client sometimes than by Nielsen itself.

Worked for The Nielsen Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Nielsen Company reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Nielsen Company CEO Mitch Barns . All 24 reviews posted anonymously by The Nielsen Company employees.