The Nielsen Company

3.4
1,286 Reviews

The Nielsen Company Chief Executive Officer Mitch Barns
Mitch Barns

Pros
  • They have a great work life balance with work from home options available (in 89 reviews)

• Flexible work hours and the ability to work from home when necessary (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is challenging given the workload is often too much (in 110 reviews)

• depending on your role, you could be working long hours in some stressful environments (in 70 reviews)

More Highlights

32 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great training program, salary + commission

Current Employee - Membership Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Membership Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

company car, laptop, cell phone, printer, and a company credit card.

Cons

The constant pressure to go above quota is annoying.

ruthless idiots

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the Nielsen name on your resume, which isn't even worth very much any more. Your power point and excel grunt-work skills will be great after a few months here. By then you will also have more than enough material to write your own dilbert comic strip series.

Cons

Extremely cutthroat environment. rampant scapegoating, rumors, lots of people throwing each other under the bus, and trying to escape the blame because most of the products have chronic issues and the data is always screwed up (business units like BASES and OCR have better product & data quality but culture issues still remain). It doesn't help that people here also take themselves and their jobs way too seriously. Clients often return data; even the non-research/data clients find glaring mistakes on a regular basis. Several syndicated products are in such poor shape that every single year they have a team of black belts come in, spend a week putting up post-it notes and reformulating all their processes, but inevitably nothing helps and the exact same thing happens next year. The roots of this culture go back to the management history; after the company was saddled up with debt and sold to private equity, they wanted to do anything they could to cut costs, recoup their money, and have a successful IPO. During that period before the IPO, which lasted several years, clearly managements priority was milking the business enough to have a strong IPO, not running or growing it in a way that was any way sustainable. Those same management practices have continued. The only 2 circumstances I would recommend working for this company - 1) if you are a huge jerk you will fit right in, or 2) if you are a fresh college grad who has gotten into the Emerging Leaders Program, AND don't have a better offer elsewhere. That rotational program actually provides quite a bit of exposure to different businesses and can be a good experience.

put up more motivational posters. those really helped.

Great Company

Current Employee - Campaign Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Campaign Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Wonderful Organization that is growing and evolving. Lots of room for opportunity. The culture is open and pretty young. Its a relaxed environment but still everyone is productive and doing their job..

Cons

It is a large organization and it is hard to be noticed. It has corporate bureaucracy and it is hard to move up. They also have horrible brand awareness for a company that has been around for 90years.

Find ways to find and raise up leaders that are hidden within the organization. There are many but because of the size it is hard to get ahead and be seen.

Don't stay too late...

Former Employee - BASES in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - BASES in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time

Pros

-Great people to work alongside—especially the younger employees
    -Industry leader in many different verticals
    -Respected company in the data/research world

Cons

-Company is old and bureaucratic
    -Lots of red tape to cut through in order to get any new ideas/approaches put into practice
    -Very much a "this is how we've done it" attitude when it comes to rationale for using outdated tools/methods
    -Terrible hours that, at times, can have you working around the clock (quite literally)
    -Work can become very monotonous, to the point where you feel like a cog in a hamster spinning in a wheel
    -Clients constantly whip you for data and essentially treat you as a data vendor; clients place little value on consultative advice
    -Technology, programs, tools, etc. are always broken and nothing seems to work. Not to mention, they are all insanely outdated

-Practice what you preach. "Simple, open, and integrated" are the alleged values, but you hardly ever practice them.
    -Transparency here is a joke Huge opportunity for improvement here.
    -New talent is bringing a lot to the table and bringing solid perspectives to the table. Listen to them and consider what they have to offer.
    -Compensation is horrendous compared to other companies in the area. If you don't stay competitive, few will stick around

Decent company, easy to get comfortable

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible telecommute policy (although my calls start at 6 am and don't stop until 10 pm).

My managers are awesome, and I love my teams. Teams are a hybrid of the old acquired company (where I come from) and Nielsenites.

I actually really love my job, but I also have a unique position that was created specifically for me.

Easy to get comfortable. Lots of team building (if you can spare the time). Happy hours fairly regularly.

Fairly progressive company, at least in my unit. Actively hires and promotes females and minorities from within (all thought the opportunities are few and far between).

Cons

The idea that Nielsen can compete in a tech-centric world is a joke. Everything is run on Internet Explorer. Seriously? IE?

Off-shore tech support is basically useless.

My company was acquired three years ago. Zero on-board or integration training.

Disorganized and lack of central focus. I have no idea what 90% of Nielsen does. Business units don't collaborate, and sometimes compete with the same clients for projects.

Growth in my business unit is limited. I'd have to jump ship to move up, but given that our business units are not all aligned I would basically be starting over as a newbie. Upward and lateral transitions only really benefit senior management.

Benefits package is really disappointing compared to what our previous company had.

Nielsen will suffer if it cannot drag its technology and platforms into the 21st century. We are so embarrassingly far behind the times.

We need a more united vision and better integration as a company. Our business units are actively competing with each other for client work.

Decent company

Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexible hours and work from home.

Cons

There was a bit of dishonesty amongst coworkers and the leadership team.

Managers should actually take a seminar on laws in the workplace. What to do and what not to do.

Some really inspiring and talented individuals

Former Employee - Vice President Communications in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President Communications in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company if you are ambitious, smart, and willing to move in order to gain more experience and rise through the ranks.

Cons

If you are ambitious, you need to push hard for exposure to executives in HQ in order to rise.

Nielsen would be so much more successful if staff spent less time on internal politics and beating those they perceive as their internal competition, and more time focused on understanding external trends and competitive forces.

Great place to start and grow

Current Employee - Field Service Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Field Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great perk like company car, computer, phone, and benefits

Cons

If you want to move up within the company you have to be willing to move around the nation

good place to start your career - get out as fast as possible

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

very structured entry level analyst program that really does reward the top performers in the first 1-2 years if you work hard and SMART. good strategic frameworks for use later on / good techniques to apply in the future. great learning experience, great network, very smart people. EXCELLENT happy hours / good comradery among analysts and managers - will be friends with these folks for life!

Cons

very political environment the higher up you get. lots of in-fighting between the different sectors of the company. inability of direct management to motivate analysts or offer meaningful benefits for work completed. accepted negativity among analysts given the often insurmountable workload. some teams display a major lack of "we're all in this together". if you are in the CPG division, you will not be able to get a job outside of CPG if you stay at nielsen for more than 2-3 years. additionally terrible benefits / HR team, lots of empty promises from senior management, too much corporate jargon and pandering.

recognize that the market is changing and more and more companies can/will make do without nielsen-branded data and information.

Great people, great clients, great company name.

Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work with amazing people who are super helpful.

Cons

Low compensation and buggy tools

Invest in the tools we use.

The Nielsen Company Photos