The North West Company Reviews

Reset
3.3
The North West Company President and Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Kennedy
Edward S. Kennedy

Pretty good company but some of the best people I've met.

I have been working at The North West Company full-time

Pros

People from all over the world work here so there's a lot of diversity. So much to learn.

Cons

Training is difficult because there aren't any instruction manuals, everything is learn as you go.

Status quo is a desireable outcome here, thinking is old fashioned, stale, depressing.

Former Employee - Category Assistant Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Category Assistant Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at The North West Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

easy to get a job here

Cons

low diversity, very low tech, old software, old fashioned business practices, department heads don't value suggestions or new ideas, gross office, department heads only value employees who are exactly like themselves.

Advice to Management

It's not 1995, stop operating like it is, and no one respects your haughty attitudes.

My first time and the best of me.

Current Employee - Mantnaince in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Mantnaince in Bronx, NY

I have been working at The North West Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had worked for a Work study program and a Puerto Rican dare care center and I liked working with kid's.

Cons

I am a clean person like to see everything as clean as possible like to be on time and finish my job on time

Advice to Management

I always ask if I don't understand something I also have other experience that will be use for the growth of the Company

Good Company to Start Your Career and Get Experience

Current Employee - Category Manager Assistant in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Category Manager Assistant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at The North West Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is very easy to get in the door into the lower positions and possible to build up good experience and knowledge of all aspects of the retail grocery industry. Unfortunately they only hire from outside for the better paid positions and it is not possible to move up within the company.

Cons

Work is done very inefficiently leading to mountains of busy work that gets passed down the food chain. Huge discrepancies in pay between the workers and the management. No vision or planning from the top and priorities and strategies are constantly shifting. Turn over is very high and there is no institutional memory to draw from: you can count on one hand the number of employees (workers and management) that have been there longer than two years.

Advice to Management

Invest in technology and employees to grow the business rather than giving exorbitant performance bonuses to management. Don't over-value in-store retail experience when looking at applicants.

Painfully low morale, No respect or compensation for excellence.

Current Employee - International Division in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - International Division in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Lots of openings, so if you are proactive you may be able to move up.

Cons

Serious trouble with treatment of employees leading to low morale. All about squeezing every last cent out of their customer.

Advice to Management

Stop burying your heads in the sand about the issues. Acknowledge them and work towards fixing them.

7. A lifestyle change; could be your cup of tea!

Former Employee - Grocery Manager
    Former Employee - Grocery Manager

I worked at The North West Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- A BIG lifestyle change - be absolutely sure you can live without movie theaters, Walmart, malls, McDonalds, Tim Hortons, or any major chain you can think of. The vast majority of the towns in the north have no other businesses other than Northern stores and small corner stores - The company pays for rent to live in their houses. - The people you come across are amazing. They try to make you feel at home because they know you come from far away, and sometimes it can be scary. But they do try to make you feel comfortable. - Bank what you earn. Unless you're a shopaholic like me. Then Amazon is your new best friend. - If you LOVE off-roading or sledding on ATVs or snowmachines, THIS IS FOR YOU! There is plenty to do with both vehicles. The stores sell these vehicles at a price I would say is competitive with stores in the city, but without the hassle of insurance or licensing. - The commute - no longer do you have to travel for 30+ minutes to get to work. Most stores have manager housing right behind the store, and if not right behind, it is no more than a 5 minute walk.

Cons

- Not at all close to family and friends if you're coming from the big city. If you think of leaving the company, it is at least $1000 per person just to fly home. - It is highly recommended you join this company with your significant other or a friend; both people need to be 100% into the job and into the lifestyle, because it really gets lonely in the north for single people. - The weather is really hit and miss, since you are relocated to the far north. But the gist of it is: when it's sunny the sun shines bright, when it rains it rains cats and dogs, and when it snows expect a good 2 feet at any time. Also, the snow doesn't melt in the middle of winter like it does in the cities, so bring Sorel boots.

Advice to Management

- 3 weeks of paid vacation time is not enough for managers who relocate. They need way more time to reconnect with friends and family. This is one of the reasons I left the company. - Planograms do not work. I understand head office wants some organization in their stores, but plain and simple: in a town of 600 people, you are better off focusing on the top selling SKUs than trying to sell something you would be throwing out a month from now. - Stop pushing product that appear on new Planograms. Managers will order it when the time is right.

8. Great

Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I worked at The North West Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice to walk in to work and feel welcomed and happy to be there .. . . . . .

Cons

Stressfull when people are getting layed off and u dont know if your next . . . . . .

Advice to Management

No advice.

9. Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I worked at The North West Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive salary with a decent bonus structure when the company meets or exceeds targets. When the results are poor, don't expect much.

Cons

moral has been declining for several years. Struture has been shifting around. Every few years, they restructure and eliminate positions.

Advice to Management

Look what worked in the past and grow on that instead of trying to change it.

10. Pharmacy Assistant

Current Employee - Pharmacy Assistant II in Moosonee, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Assistant II in Moosonee, ON (Canada)

I have been working at The North West Company (More than a year)

Pros

-Cost-free living -Fully furnished housing -Paid groceries -Paid vacation travel (nearest international airport) -Opportunity for growth -Opportunity to see Canada's North

Cons

-Poor work/life balance for management employees paid on salary -Working up North makes it costly to go on vacation. The North West Company only pays for vacation travel once per fiscal year to the nearest international airport. You only get to visit friends a family once per year, and only for 3 weeks at initial hire. Vacation extends to 4 weeks after 10 years of service.

Advice to Management

allow 2 paid vacation travel (2 return flights to nearest international airport) per year.

11. Excellent learning experience with adventure mixed in!!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

The ability to travel to parts of Canada that most people never get to see, all while learning the retail grocery business with a good company that has an excellent training program.

Cons

Moving from the big city to these remote locations is very challenging, and the communities themselves can be a little scary with drug, alcohol and violence problems.

Advice to Management

Your training program for Store Managers is excellent, as is your compensation packages and the overall experience. Not really too much advice to give as I felt it was a great experience that I learned a lot from.

RSS Feed </> Embed