The North West Company

Updated September 26, 2014
Updated September 26, 2014
2.8

Edward S. Kennedy

Pretty good company but some of the best people I've met.

I have been working at The North West Company full-time

Pros

People from all over the world work here so there's a lot of diversity. So much to learn.

Cons

Training is difficult because there aren't any instruction manuals, everything is learn as you go.

My first time and the best of me.

Current Employee - Mantnaince in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Mantnaince in Bronx, NY

I have been working at The North West Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had worked for a Work study program and a Puerto Rican dare care center and I liked working with kid's.

Cons

I am a clean person like to see everything as clean as possible like to be on time and finish my job on time

I always ask if I don't understand something I also have other experience that will be use for the growth of the Company

Good Company to Start Your Career and Get Experience

Current Employee - Category Manager Assistant in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Category Manager Assistant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at The North West Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is very easy to get in the door into the lower positions and possible to build up good experience and knowledge of all aspects of the retail grocery industry. Unfortunately they only hire from outside for the better paid positions and it is not possible to move up within the company.

Cons

Work is done very inefficiently leading to mountains of busy work that gets passed down the food chain. Huge discrepancies in pay between the workers and the management. No vision or planning from the top and priorities and strategies are constantly shifting. Turn over is very high and there is no institutional memory to draw from: you can count on one hand the number of employees (workers and management) that have been there longer than two years.

Invest in technology and employees to grow the business rather than giving exorbitant performance bonuses to management. Don't over-value in-store retail experience when looking at applicants.

Painfully low morale, No respect or compensation for excellence.

Current Employee - International Division in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - International Division in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at The North West Company

Pros

Lots of openings, so if you are proactive you may be able to move up.

Cons

Serious trouble with treatment of employees leading to low morale. All about squeezing every last cent out of their customer.

Stop burying your heads in the sand about the issues. Acknowledge them and work towards fixing them.

The opposite of progressive. Innovation is bad word

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I have been working at The North West Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation, work-life balance, location, Flexible scheduling

Cons

The company is very silo based and very set into the status quo. There is no desire to innovate or improve technologies to help improve the company. Individual departments are more concerned with their individual incentive plans that what is right for customers or the company.

The company values consultants more than its own employees.

There's a reason that revenues have remained relatively flat. There is no one willing to innovate or improve store processes. There is very little concern for the schism that exists between departments.

Systems are decades old, but the executives continue to direct funds to the wrong initiatives.

Absolutely Horrible! it is beyond me why this company is even allowed to operate in the manner it does in Canada!

Current Employee - Current Management in Unknown (Bangladesh)
    Current Employee - Current Management in Unknown (Bangladesh)

I have been working at The North West Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

From My experience there is NO positives working with NWC, they say there is room for PIP or Bonus, but that remains to be seen. This Company is a farce. 400 a year raise that's what they call reward for working sometimes 100 hours in 1 week. no compensation for providing relief for other management. Lower management must cover the butt of upper management for nothing not even a thank you. Don't be fooled by the recruitment process sounds so promising until they dump you in a gross staff house, in a remote location, with no support. So many labor laws broken. you'll want to take mental health leave before the first year. Although I have heard major markets division is not as terrible.

Cons

No respect for there staff
    Substandard housing for staff, in poor condition and almost condemnable in this case
    They do not honor there promises
    Substandard Facilities
    HR has no regard for the conditions and work environment
    extreme long hours with no over time or compensation
    Laughable raises
    No communication from the higher ups
    Unfair Staff treatment
    Entrapment within northern communities
    Will not provide a transfer even in the most adverse conditions
    no regard for abuse of power by individuals
    Just Plain Terrible Company to work for, do not be fooled by their recruitment videos, they are all cotton candy and fluff.

Listen to your front line staff! they know what's happing in your communities and the stores. stop thinking about the dollar and consider they people who make the money for you.

Great learning experience

I worked at The North West Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Community oriented company that cares about its people and its customers

Cons

wish I could work there again

keep up your community spirit

In The North

I have been working at The North West Company full-time

Pros

Housing and groceries are paid for by the company. Promotions are there, you just have to outlast everyone else. Benefits are decent. Bonus is good, based on you salary, so it's as good as you make it. You can ask for more than they offer and you'll get it most of the time. Some of the people you meet are amazing.

Cons

Long, long hours. Little consideration for work/home life. Complete disregard for employees personal life and stress levels. Do not care how the job is done just want it done and cheaply, then complain when not done correctly.

Rely on the field staff more. Be understanding of the stress that comes with the job. Don't forget it's a whole different world where the stores are located.

Great place to build your experience ... but ...

I worked at The North West Company

Pros

Work environment is good for the most part. Corporate gym and workout activities are excellent. Work to personal life is pretty balanced. No job, if you want to succeed, is an 8 - 4 out the door. If you are a recent grad this is a great place to build experience, but that's about it. You will not get any farther than an assistant. Get a year or 2 in then move on. Bonus structure is very lucrative and is based on a % of your salary. Excellent to see your hard work pay off at the end of the year.

Cons

Career succession planning is appalling there. Leadership from the top down, other than Edward K. is suspect in my opinion. Even Edward was judging himself if he's the right leader to move the company forward seeing is that he has been at the helm for 20+ years. That's quite long in CEO years for sure. If you think you are working hard for a promotion think again. I guess like any other business it's really who your butt kissing is how far you will move up. I thought TNWC was different being such a reputable company but no.

The Norwester spirit has been lost for a lot of current employees. That's a shame but business is not all about the fun and games, it's about $$$. Would like upper management to 'sincerely' look at their workers and give them the respect a lot deserve. That would go a long way to have employees enjoy going to work everyday. I would like nothing else but success for the company but leadership is not an easy job and finding the right people for that job is always a challenge.

A once great company now controlled by greed and dishonesty

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I worked at The North West Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Gym for employees
    Healthy food in cafeteria
    Dental plan is free
    Chance to work with various charities through company

Cons

Expect employees to put in unreasonable amounts of unpaid overtime
    Sketchy location with no security in building or parking lots
    Senior level staff who only worry about their bonus, see employees as dollar signs, not people; mislead staff with false promises and operate without honesty
    Weak HR who work to protect company

You have moved away from what it means to be an NWC employee, serving the North. Get rid of the outsiders at the senior level and start valuing the experience already in the building. Learn to be honest.

The North West Company Photos

Non-perishable freight arrives once a year by sea. Sea containers provide additional storage outside the store.

+ Add Photo