The North West Company Reviews

Updated March 30, 2015
18 reviews filtered by
2.6
Edward S. Kennedy

Pretty good company but some of the best people I've met.

I have been working at The North West Company full-time

Pros

People from all over the world work here so there's a lot of diversity. So much to learn.

Cons

Training is difficult because there aren't any instruction manuals, everything is learn as you go.

2. Status quo is a desireable outcome here, thinking is old fashioned, stale, depressing.

Former Employee - Category Assistant Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Category Assistant Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at The North West Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

easy to get a job here

Cons

low diversity, very low tech, old software, old fashioned business practices, department heads don't value suggestions or new ideas, gross office, department heads only value employees who are exactly like themselves.

Advice to Management

It's not 1995, stop operating like it is, and no one respects your haughty attitudes.

3. My first time and the best of me.

Current Employee - Mantnaince in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Mantnaince in Bronx, NY

I have been working at The North West Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I had worked for a Work study program and a Puerto Rican dare care center and I liked working with kid's.

Cons

I am a clean person like to see everything as clean as possible like to be on time and finish my job on time

Advice to Management

I always ask if I don't understand something I also have other experience that will be use for the growth of the Company

Good Company to Start Your Career and Get Experience

Current Employee - Category Manager Assistant in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Category Manager Assistant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at The North West Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is very easy to get in the door into the lower positions and possible to build up good experience and knowledge of all aspects of the retail grocery industry. Unfortunately they only hire from outside for the better paid positions and it is not possible to move up within the company.

Cons

Work is done very inefficiently leading to mountains of busy work that gets passed down the food chain. Huge discrepancies in pay between the workers and the management. No vision or planning from the top and priorities and strategies are constantly shifting. Turn over is very high and there is no institutional memory to draw from: you can count on one hand the number of employees (workers and management) that have been there longer than two years.

Advice to Management

Invest in technology and employees to grow the business rather than giving exorbitant performance bonuses to management. Don't over-value in-store retail experience when looking at applicants.

Painfully low morale, No respect or compensation for excellence.

Current Employee - International Division in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - International Division in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at The North West Company

Pros

Lots of openings, so if you are proactive you may be able to move up.

Cons

Serious trouble with treatment of employees leading to low morale. All about squeezing every last cent out of their customer.

Advice to Management

Stop burying your heads in the sand about the issues. Acknowledge them and work towards fixing them.

7. Worst. Company. Ever.

I worked at The North West Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lot of free department lunches.
    Dealing with some of the employees from the stores was great, for the most part.

All the stress and abuse you can handle, for FREE!

Cons

Worked in a dept. of 20-25 people. Out of those people, I had 6 Supervisors. So if you made a mistake, which happened a lot due to insufficient - and non-existant - training, you got to hear about it from one, two, sometimes 5 different people! The "raises" were an absolute joke - first year I got a 60 cent raise, second year it was 30 cents (and they tried to blame that one on the real estate bubble bursting, third year I got 29 cents, and the very last year I was there, they offered me an extra 10 cent raise! Yay me!! I told them they could keep the 10 cents, because obviously the company was hurting a lot more financially than I was.

My job had no official title, but I was expected to do roughly 2 dozen smaller jobs, most of them at the same time - didn't mind this that much, because it kept me busy - but then they had us answering the phones as well. When it came to Tax Time, we were supposed to answer any Tax calls, and then speak with Revenue Canada with the customer on the line, for which I received absolutely ZERO training, and asked for repeatedly. Not to mention, this effectively DOUBLED everyone's workload, and were we compensated whatsoever? Guess what the answer to that question is...

I loved the work I was doing, however, the department I was in was full of drama, butt-kissers, and backstabbers. The greatest day of my life was when I was laid off from that company. Keep in mind that I was laid off THE DAY AFTER having a "private" meeting with HR to see if I could transfer anywhere else in the Company. I later learned they had laid off several high ranking employees, many after 20+ years of service, and they are still doing this to this day. Stay classy, NorthWest!!!

Advice to Management

Learn how to deal with your employees, and learn how to treat them like human beings.

8. Labourer

I worked at The North West Company

Pros

Very Nice people and it is quite an organized place to work

Cons

Low pay and the always changing staffs was not the greatest

The opposite of progressive. Innovation is bad word

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I have been working at The North West Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation, work-life balance, location, Flexible scheduling

Cons

The company is very silo based and very set into the status quo. There is no desire to innovate or improve technologies to help improve the company. Individual departments are more concerned with their individual incentive plans that what is right for customers or the company.

The company values consultants more than its own employees.

Advice to Management

There's a reason that revenues have remained relatively flat. There is no one willing to innovate or improve store processes. There is very little concern for the schism that exists between departments.

Systems are decades old, but the executives continue to direct funds to the wrong initiatives.

Absolutely Horrible! it is beyond me why this company is even allowed to operate in the manner it does in Canada!

Current Employee - Current Management in Unknown (Bangladesh)
    Current Employee - Current Management in Unknown (Bangladesh)

I have been working at The North West Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

From My experience there is NO positives working with NWC, they say there is room for PIP or Bonus, but that remains to be seen. This Company is a farce. 400 a year raise that's what they call reward for working sometimes 100 hours in 1 week. no compensation for providing relief for other management. Lower management must cover the butt of upper management for nothing not even a thank you. Don't be fooled by the recruitment process sounds so promising until they dump you in a gross staff house, in a remote location, with no support. So many labor laws broken. you'll want to take mental health leave before the first year. Although I have heard major markets division is not as terrible.

Cons

No respect for there staff
    Substandard housing for staff, in poor condition and almost condemnable in this case
    They do not honor there promises
    Substandard Facilities
    HR has no regard for the conditions and work environment
    extreme long hours with no over time or compensation
    Laughable raises
    No communication from the higher ups
    Unfair Staff treatment
    Entrapment within northern communities
    Will not provide a transfer even in the most adverse conditions
    no regard for abuse of power by individuals
    Just Plain Terrible Company to work for, do not be fooled by their recruitment videos, they are all cotton candy and fluff.

Advice to Management

Listen to your front line staff! they know what's happing in your communities and the stores. stop thinking about the dollar and consider they people who make the money for you.

11. Great learning experience

I worked at The North West Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Community oriented company that cares about its people and its customers

Cons

wish I could work there again

Advice to Management

keep up your community spirit

The North West Company Photos

Non-perishable freight arrives once a year by sea. Sea containers provide additional storage outside the store.

+ Add Photo