The Oakleaf Group

Updated October 1, 2014
Updated October 1, 2014
2.3

Matt Smith

Just gave my 2 weeks notice!

Current Employee - Manager in Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at The Oakleaf Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They pay higher than market for Fannie Mae jobs. However, they should rename the company "Fannie Mae Staffing", because that describes the company's core business model.

Cons

The drama! You get to go home and discuss the drama, the gossip, the management fights, the dysfunction! Senior management is contemptibly obnoxious and doesn't seem to do any real work.

Provide real leadership in Client Delivery roles. Diversify your client base. Spend time working to retain your employees.

Oakleaf

Current Employee - Core Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Core Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Oakleaf Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is good; Work/life balance is good for some; terrible for others. Colleagues are bright and hard-working.

Cons

I've been at Oakleaf for more than 3 years. Recently, I have had to keep my resume updated, because I am not sure if I might get laid off when my project ends like everyone else. Management egos get in the way of real work. Fannie and Freddie nepotism is rampant. The company is struggling because there is absolutely no continuity or consistency. Very high turnover, people keep leaving.

Disappointed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Oakleaf Group full-time

Pros

The president seems like a nice guy who cares about his business, and he's very knowledgeable about the industry.
    The pay is good and this is one of the few companies who will take you as a W2, 1099 or corp-to-corp. The recruiter has control, and you can negotiate basically anything with him.
    If you do a good job for your client, there's a lot of opportunity to work long term or even get hired on there.
    A lot of good coworkers who know how to be consultants.

Cons

No one in management cares about the employees. It's a really small company, and yet they can't even seem to get my name right. Ever. There's no engagement from management (what little management there is), and no respect.
    Management does not follow through on promises, suggestions, etc.
    No W2 last time around (still waiting this time), and no HR department to fix it. No real internal structure.
    There's a lot of turnover. Most of the really good people leave or get let go.

You're not a consulting firm, but pretty good as a staffing/temp agency. Develop a business model as a staffing company, and you won't have to address a lot of the issues you have right now as a wannabe consulting firm, because expectations are so much different/lower from an temp agency than an employer.

very bad experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chevy Chase, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chevy Chase, MD

I worked at The Oakleaf Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Only the Pay was good

Cons

wrong pay check, no HR person responsible, management is hands off, don't care about employees

be more involved and treat employees with respect

Fast Growing Company

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Oakleaf Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a fast growing company with over 50 people. It's now a full fledge consulting firm where hiring is occuring weekly due to the great work that is going on. I'm new and started recently and this is what my pulse of the firm is now.

Management can be quite busy but they try hard and are dedicated to improvement. this firm has a lot of growth and opportunities ahead of it and if you like a small company growing to a mid-size feel and like to tackle challenges and help them figure out opportunities then you will be in a great place.

Cons

I can understand the feeling others have that it is a "staffing firm" But hey, it's a small company that's working real hard to grow and is.

If you like the big corporation feel with all the departments and bureacracy, this type of environment may not be for you

Keep up the great work in winning more contracts and opportunities but continue to focus on employee engagement and development.

Great Temp Agency.

Current Employee - Contractor
    Current Employee - Contractor

I have been working at The Oakleaf Group

Pros

-quick recruiting.
    -no real boss.
    -great pay.
    -Room to negotiate your own rates since you are the contract consultant.

Cons

-high turnover rate.
    -not a real consulting firm, but a decent temp agency.
    -no real structure to company.
    -no real opportunities to grow professionally. Just a temporary gig.

Use your core competencies more effectively. "recruiting". Eliminate unecessary
    costs-jobs that don't revolve around recruiting.

oakleaf

I have been working at The Oakleaf Group

Pros

Fair treatment, good benefits, President dedicated to expanding workforce. Socail activity

Cons

short contract duration, high turnover

Very disappointing...

I have been working at The Oakleaf Group

Pros

They allow for great flexibility and control.

Cons

There is no business model. Management considers itself a consulting firm, when it really is a staffing firm.

Choose a focus for the company and stick with it. You can't be everything to all people.