The Ohio State University

Updated October 23, 2014
4.0

The Ohio State University Interim President Joseph A. Alutto
Joseph A. Alutto

Pros
  • Great benefits, I felt that I was professionally honored for my role (in 26 reviews)

• Work-life balance can be really good for staff (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay for the amount of work that is required for research (in 17 reviews)

• Not a lot of room for advancement in this particular field (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Loved the great benefits and work for a good purpose.

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant
    Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant

I have been working at The Ohio State University part-time

Pros

OSU offers great benefits to its employees--even GTAs get great healthcare benefits and paid maternity leave. The teaching load is light relative to other institutions.

Cons

Some administrators care more than others about doing their job well, and this impacts students, faculty, and co-administrators alike. While the pay is adequate, GTAs make less than at similar institutions nationwide. Class sizes are also large.

Best places to work in Columbus

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Columbus, OH

I have been working at The Ohio State University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits, the access to services, speakers, professionals, sporting events, and amazing networking opportunities.

Cons

It is difficult to get one's foot int he door, and then once it's in, you are so specialized that it can be difficult to transition outside of your own department, but certainly not impossible.

It is a good place to work.

I worked at The Ohio State University

Pros

The health benefit packages are the best deal you can find, if you are willing to allow monitoring of your personal health information.
    Academic positions have some flexibility in work schedule.

Cons

The pay is generally lower than industry. This is the general trend in academia.

Some upper management personnel need ethics training.

My experience has been positive and rewarding.

Current Employee - Student Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Student Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at The Ohio State University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Ohio State University is a friendly environment and it is good to be able to work with students in all years of college as well as older adults who guide these students.

Cons

Working in the dining services can be difficult because sometimes there are unhappy customers, but as students there is only so much you can do to better the situation.

The best thing to do is stay on top of things and manage your time wisely in order to make sure food items don't run out and things are being cleaned and kept up at all times.

Challenging and Rewarding

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Columbus, OH

I worked at The Ohio State University as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The job, with the Department of Agricultural Economics (name has probably changed now), definitely made time for my studies and made them the focus of my tenure there. My project was very flexible on when I needed to put in my time, so I was able to to a good job with my studies as well as my assigned projects.

Cons

The pay was low for this position, but it was what I expected, so there were no surprises.

Thank you! I think all of the professors in the Agricultural Economics department are great people to work for.

Positive experience with numerous opportunities to expand my technical skill set.

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Columbus, OH

I have been working at The Ohio State University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Numerous research projects with varied application and opportunity to be part of interesting projects. Access to numerous resources for research and the environment helps one learn many new skills. Great experience working with everyone.

Cons

Not any significant cons with respect to my experience

Fair and stable

Current Employee - Academic Coordinator in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Academic Coordinator in Columbus, OH

I have been working at The Ohio State University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance, great benefits, secure employment

Cons

Little room for advancement, lower salaries, lower levels of challenge

Great benefits for graduate school, Salary at higher end of grad school range.

Former Employee - Graduate Research Associate in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Associate in Columbus, OH

I worked at The Ohio State University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The health benefits for grad students are great, better than those for their employees in my opinion. There are also a lot of career support mechanisms in place for students. The campus is beautiful. There affordable is family housing which is great. I also like the diverse international community on campus.

Cons

There is no official vacation time for graduate students and post-docs, this is left to the discretion of your advisor/boss. Therefore time-off is irregular and differs from student to student, which I believe is not fair. There is also no set salary and salary increase mechanism for post-docs.

Give graduate students and post-docs allocated time-off independent of their advisors and you will have happier, more productive graduate students and post-docs. Also, post-docs need a mechanism for set salary increases each year, or else they are prone to being underpaid by their employers.

Great people, Great Job

Former Employee - Grader in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Grader in Columbus, OH

I worked at The Ohio State University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, flexible schedules. They let you work around your school schedule, and are very flexible on the hours.

Cons

The for my position was fixed, and non-negotiable. There were no opportunities for raises.

Graduate Research Assistant in Physics Dept.

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Columbus, OH

I have been working at The Ohio State University part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunities and they pay for your tuition, what more can you ask for. Also has great health insurance.

Cons

Long hours and pretty low pay, but again, they pay for your tuition.

The Ohio State University Photos