The Ohio State University Reviews

501 reviews filtered by
4.0
The Ohio State University Interim President Joseph A. Alutto
Joseph A. Alutto

Pros
  • Work-life balance can be really good for staff (in 13 reviews)

• Great benefits, I felt that I was professionally honored for my role (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is low but at least you're not going into debt for it (in 18 reviews)

• Work environment is not very good (in 6 reviews)

1. Department of Recreational Sports, Member Services Crew Chief.

Current Employee - Member Services Crew Chief in Columbus, MO
    Current Employee - Member Services Crew Chief in Columbus, MO

I have been working at The Ohio State University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very helpful in knowing student body especially you are into careers such as student development, sports management. A lot of room for you to learn and develop leadership skills. Professional staff in the department are extremely friendly and helpful. The university focuses on people and environment, and you can see that everywhere on campus.

Cons

The main recreation center on campus (RPAC) is the largest college facility in the nation. The facility capacity is tremendous, and the issues and emergencies you encounter every single day might be intimidating and overwhelming. It does take some time to adapt to the environment there.

The department does great job in staff hiring and training. The communication is efficient among teams that oversee different areas.

2. Research

I have been working at The Ohio State University

Pros

Some very good people and research being conducted here

Cons

Need to be careful about whom you pick to work with. Some people are great, others kinda...

3. Great place to work. Would love to go back and work there but the need more cash.

Former Employee - GTA in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - GTA in Columbus, OH

I worked at The Ohio State University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people great benefits. Had a lot of freedom and access to resources in order to do job.

Cons

Not much place to move around in this business. I wish there was just more to do.

5. Review of job as Student Assistant at the Human Nutrition Office at The Ohio State University

Current Employee - Student Assistant in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Columbus, OH

I have been working at The Ohio State University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work is very relaxed, medium paced. Get to meet a lot of faculty and students. Its on campus, so dont need to travel a lot

Cons

Sometimes work can be tiring. Changing posters and banners and setting up/tearing down for events occassionally

6. Working at one of the largest universities in the country has pros and cons

I have been working at The Ohio State University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It has great benefits, excellent location, and treats employees well.

Cons

There is lots of red tape and complex HR system that is not always well documented or explained.

7. Great University

I worked at The Ohio State University

Pros

Love the university so much! A lot of renovations were undergoing on buildings, labs, gyms, and other facilities. Life in surrounding areas was very affordable. And football tickets were so cheap :)

Cons

Job was stressful based on personal experience. Winter was kind of long so no much fun for outdoor activities, and no great views in surrounding areas.

8. Excellent university.

Current Employee - Graduate Student
    Current Employee - Graduate Student

I have been working at The Ohio State University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As a graduate student, I was able to work on my own schedule (but that depends on your adviser's style). Columbus is a great city. The stipend is very livable because the cost of living is not high.

Cons

Not too much to do in Columbus. However, that could just be me. Football season traffic sucks.

This is not a company with a single management level. So I am unable to comment or provide advice for management.

9. Residence Life makes such a big institution so intimate

Former Employee - Area Director in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Area Director in Springfield, MO

I worked at The Ohio State University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ohio State University is expansive and offers so many opportunities for growth and connection. While I did work in residence life, I made connections with Resident Directors, Area Directors, Graduate Assistants, Resident Managers, Resident Advisors and Office Assistants all over the entire campus. Residence Life has given me the opportunity to make those connections. Furthermore, OSU Residence Life fostered my connection with the University and the city of Columbus. I am proud of my employment and experience at Ohio State University.

Cons

In Residence Life, the days are long, but you have to expect that you can and most likely will receive a call in the middle of the night.

10. Research Associate

I have been working at The Ohio State University

Pros

Good stipend level is provided

Cons

no con is found yet

11. student instructional assistant

Former Employee - Student Instructional Assistant in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Student Instructional Assistant in Columbus, OH

I worked at The Ohio State University

Pros

flexible hours helps out very much

Cons

the hours are short so the pay may seem low

The Ohio State University Photos