The Ohio State University

Updated December 22, 2014
3.9

The Ohio State University Interim President Joseph A. Alutto
Joseph A. Alutto

Pros
  • Work-life balance can be really good for staff (in 13 reviews)

• Great benefits, I felt that I was professionally honored for my role (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is low but at least you're not going into debt for it (in 18 reviews)

• Work environment is not very good (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Work was interesting and personally fulfilling

Former Employee - Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at The Ohio State University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life Balance was very great. It was possible to have a life outside of work.

Extremely Rewarding and Personally Fulfilling (non-financially).

Nearly all the employees I worked with were passionate about what they do for the community and students.

Amount of workload and expectations greatly depended on the nature and type of position.

My 'Middle' managers and lower, and those who worked directly with me and students were generally extremely passionate about what they do- most do the things they do for the students and not necessarily for personal, financial or professional gain. This alone created a great culture and provided a good work atmosphere.

Cons

Upper Management seemed to be completely out of touch with lower level employees' and students' real needs and sometimes even contradictory...

Nepotism and cronyism seemed to be rampant in my departments. This stifled personal and professional growth and advancement. The 3 year turnover rate of the full-time and non-student employees in the departments I worked for, were relatively high- greater than 50%. Sometimes, it was hard getting raises, promotions, or full-time employment unless you personally knew the 'powers that be' or were recommended for a position, raise, etc, from someone who knew 'the powers that be' regardless of performance.

Pay rate and benefits were on the low range for my positions except for high level management and tenure track professorships.

Get to know your students and what they really and truly need; not what you think is best for them or for the financial bottom line. Do not only consider the thoughts and opinions of a relatively small number of students, powerful alumni, faculty, administrators, and staff members as gospel and representative of the whole community.

Better yet, talk with and get to know the janitors, alumni, student employees, skilled professionals, nurses, secretaries, graduate student assistants, non-tenure track professors, etc, for advice on running the university! Many of them know exactly what is needed to greatly improve the community and future trajectory of the university.

Consider the TRIPLE BOTTOM LINE and not just profits. Being blinded by and pursuing the financial bottom line above all else are ruining the lives of some people in the community; most importantly the disadvantaged students and the people of Ohio that you ultimately serve by working at Ohio State.

You run a NOT FOR PROFIT entity, ultimately beholden to and accountable to the PEOPLE of OHIO and therefore must pursue a TRIPLE Bottom Line. The university's mission is to improve lives and not to make a huge profit.

Started well but did not get to move up from OA

I worked at The Ohio State University

Pros

* Easy to work schedule
    * Could get time off
    * Met wonderful people

Cons

* Some Hall Directors are a joke
    * Was yelled at because RA's didn't do their jobs
    * RA's got benefit of doubt even if they were in the wrong

Good working environment, culture. Just working on a thriving college campus helps create an energetic environment.

Current Employee - Human Resources
    Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at The Ohio State University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working for OSU will certainly provide you with job security and opportunities to develop. The benefits are very good and retirement is a major incentive if you can make a career out of it here.

Cons

Bureaucracy is a roadblock to innovation and change. The University is very large and silos certainly exist. Inconsistent application of policies across the campus.

University needs to make a genuine effort to centralize HR services.

Executive Management in IT environment unfocused.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at The Ohio State University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People can be very friendly and helpful

Cons

Unfocused and team you join can be very political

Agree upon a roadmap and work together as a team to make sure it is sustainable.

It's an okay job- not very challenging.

I have been working at The Ohio State University

Pros

Easy, and I can work around my own hours, which doesn't affect school.

Cons

Boring, and not challenging. Nothing to learn

Good place to work

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Columbus, OH

I have been working at The Ohio State University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance can be really good for staff. If you want to continue your education, it is at a very low cost, which is a huge benefit.

Cons

Promotions can be hard to come by if you are doing well at your job. It seems easier if they want to get rid of you in that position.

Part-time on-campus jobs are a good way to get some extra money.

Current Employee - Mathematics Tutor in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Mathematics Tutor in Columbus, OH

I have been working at The Ohio State University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Located on central campus, close to all my classes.
    Work with people your age.

Cons

There is no reward for putting an extra effort.

You're doing a great job.

Work in North Commons

Current Employee - Student Assistant in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Columbus, OH

I have been working at The Ohio State University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

People are pretty nice, and well trained before working,

Cons

Kind of harsh at the beginning

Be flexible in work.

Great benefits

Current Employee - Management in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Management in Columbus, OH

I have been working at The Ohio State University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The salary and benefits are great at Ohio State University. Depending on the area of work, employees are provided flexibility and latitude to make the position their own.

Cons

The HR function at OSU is week. Issues are often ignored and left to fester.

Management need to do a much better job communicating university-wide vision and mission.

Good place to be if you like research

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Associate in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Associate in Columbus, OH

I have been working at The Ohio State University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The department and faculty are usually supportive

Cons

the money is quite low actually.

Increase remuneration