The Omni Grove Park Inn
www.groveparkinn.com Dallas, TX 1000 to 5000 Employees

The Omni Grove Park Inn Reviews

Updated Jun 26, 2014
The Omni Grove Park Inn – Asheville – “The Omni Grove Park Inn”

JAMES D. CALDWELL

Worked as a Pastry Cook at Grove Park Inn

Cook (Former Employee)
    Asheville, NC

ProsEnjoyed the teamwork atmosphere and beautiful resort.

ConsFelt like I was fending for myself when first started- HR was not very informative. Parking took an extra 30-40 minutes.

Former Glory Replaced by Management Mess

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Asheville, NC

ProsThe pay is competitive. Opportunities for advancement are there if you're patient and hard-working. Employee cafeteria is inexpensive and convenient. Training is thorough and well-organized.

ConsPay is NOT commensurate with level of work. Guest volume is TOO HIGH (at least within the Spa), which sets the staff up for failure. Management maintains a distance from the service floor and has little understanding of actual issues. Management plays a finger-pointing game in order to "solve" problems. The bottom line defines all policy changes-- which is to say, concern over profitability trumps employee satisfaction and safety. Time off is impossible to get. Requests will sit for months without being considered. Medical schedule requests are denied. Lower level managers are not trusted in their roles and are micro-managed until they're completely ineffective. Upper management is unapproachable and out of touch.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the employee experience more seriously. Require "on-the-floor" time for upper management to help maintain a better understanding of real issues. Limit access so that guests are not stacked on top of each other and staff can do their jobs effectively. Trust your hiring process and your staff members... trust is the most effective empowerment. The aspects of OMNI's culture are great in theory, but are not truly embraced by those in charge although they're read to staff ad nauseam. Simplify the multiple software systems into one.

Only area option for many people looking for work. Staff is underpaid, under appreciated, and the income gap is large.

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

ProsLarge Area Employee. Easy to get a job

ConsAnyone not at the executive / upper management level is paid at the poverty line, has little opportunity to move up. Executives and upper management view staff as uneducated rednecks (because they were willing to take a job with little pay) when in fact many of which have good degrees from respected institutions. They just wanted to live in ASheville and couldn't find work, so they had to go to Grove Park, where they are forever thought of as lower class. Opportunities are based solely on company politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementThin out upper management, flow some of that money to middle management. Promote from within. Realize that just because someone took a $10/hr job out of necessity doesn't mean they are content to stay a $10/hr person. Business Degrees from top 20 schools should mean more that the lowest I was willing to take out of necessity.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disinterested and non-supportive management made a difficult job hellish

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Asheville, NC

ProsI heard employee discount for golf was great. With the exception of the Spa, it seems very hard to get fired (because they're perpetually under-staffed). The employee cafeteria is super cheap, but mostly gross (except for the soups, for whatever reason). The co-workers are some of the most wonderful, dedicated, and competent people I've ever met. Too bad GPI can't see that.

ConsThe pay was so poor, I was on food stamps while working there to make ends meet. Spa misrepresented their salaries. People are often not trained before going live, burden of training going to the poor soul scheduled with them. In the Spa, specifically, they play favorites: I saw one girl be fired for eating an apple in non-designated space (but not in front of a guest), but many other people would no call/no show for multiple days with no ramifications. Transferring within GPI is very difficult; paperwork and forms are routinely lost. Most of the employees were working 40 hours, but designated as PT so they wouldn't be eligible for benefits. I had friends in the cafe who were working almost 10 hour shifts with no lunch break, let alone restroom break (NC labor laws do not require lunch breaks below 10 hours). Parking is ALWAYS an issue, and they were further restricting the available options when I was leaving. There's barely ever a positive word given, or any thanks and acknowledgement. Everything is shrouded, so bad news is sprung on the employee, like management doesn't trust the people in its employ. On the whole, departments behave like adversaries, so it's difficult to get outside help and communication is non-existent.

And finally, management is often not there (depending on the department...and I held 9 different concurrent jobs in my three years there), or they're giving you false information. Anything from applying for a transfer to utilizing an employee discount is wrought with miscommunication and dead ends, so getting anything done is frustrating. There were also off-color jokes and very uncomfortable moments, regularly, and when it was pointed out as inappropriate the managers tended to point out how it was a joke, and how people were too sensitive, and it was a grey area so our concerns were invalid. Most managers I met there seem super nice, but lie and manipulate to avoid responsibility. This is likely due to THEM being overworked, since it's wide-spread behavior, but then that is an issue with upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementGPI used to be something special, but now it breaks people. There needs to be more inter-departmental communication. And I don't know how you train your management, but that might need to be re-evaluated, because GPI's turn-over is FAR too high. Transparency with the company would instil a sense of trust and respect, and reduce occurrences of favoritism and inconsistency. Encouraging respect and valuing the employee would go a long way, and create employee loyalty thereby reducing turn-over and training costs. That saved money could go to paying employees a living wage, which in turn would attract better applicants. And, if I could really dream, an employee parking garage would solve all the parking issues, for both employees and guests.

As a GPI employee, we're told about world class service and the Omni value of mirroring treatment. I sincerely hope Omni actually lives it's values, and works to rectify the VAST discrepancy in treatment.

Great work environment.

Guest Services (Former Employee)
    Asheville, NC

ProsResort atmosphere. Employee cafeteria.

ConsStrict drug policy, large employee population

Good Stepping Stone

Group Sales Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Asheville, NC

ProsGood people, beautiful place to work, and lots of travel perks

ConsNot much room for growth, and job can be high stress

Treated poorly by management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people that do the work are great and become family. The views are fantastic and the hook ups are unmatched. Beautiful place to go to daily.

ConsUpper management over facilities are not qualified and treat workers like trash. Benefits have dwindled and in a flash they will let you go, especially if you have worked there for a long time and are making good money.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck upper management qualifications and the way employees are treated.

Over worked and under paid

ProsDecent benefits, can play golf for a discounted price

ConsAveraged working 16 hour days for several months due to bad management

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people

Great place to work for.

Server (Former Employee)
    Asheville, NC

ProsThe Grove Park in Resort and Spa has excellent staff benefits and great employees. The atmosphere is very much family like there.

ConsThe parking can be difficult. Sometimes guest can be overly obnoxious and demanding.

Advice to Senior ManagementBack up you employees.

Great, but not as great as it was.

Front Desk Agent (Current Employee)
    Asheville, NC

ProsBig place, once you are in a lot of jobs you can transfer too. Free uniforms and on site laundry. Lunch is cheap and decent.

ConsOwned now by KSL who are pretty standard corporate overlords. No longer has that family feel it used to have. Bad upper management, no communication between departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementAny cross department coordination at all would make a huge improvement.....

Worked for The Omni Grove Park Inn? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Omni Grove Park Inn reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Omni Grove Park Inn CEO JAMES D. CALDWELL. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by The Omni Grove Park Inn employees.