The Open University

4.0

The Open University Vice-Chancellor Martin Bean
Martin Bean

Brief but satisfying

Former Employee - Tutor  in  Milton Keynes, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Tutor in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Pros

Working from home, work-life balance was good. Pay is reasonable when students are plentiful. They fund your studies too. Line manager was great.

Cons

Work is periodic and unpredictable. All meetings in Milton Keynes which is horrid to visit and a pain to get out of. Some years I had far too many students, others not enough to be financially viable. Work is often out of normal hours and some students can be overly personal, coming to your house (they have to have your address to post you things) with late assignments and complaints.

Very professional, Relaxed, and Extremely Structured.

Former Employee - Media Assistant  in  Milton Keynes, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Media Assistant in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Pros

I firstly noticed the beautiful campus, the people were friendly and professional. The team were amazing, rewarding, and very caring.

Cons

Getting a permanent position proved very difficult. There is lots of challenging work to be done!

I was passionate about my job with the Open University, but could not compete with the extremely intimidating recruitment process in place. Please consider this as I believe you as an employer are missing out on some really decent candidates.

They cannot be more supportive, appreciative or considerate towards their staff.

Current Employee - Associate Lecturer  in  Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Lecturer in Manchester, England (UK)

Pros

Fantastic training opportunities, consideration of all aspects of the home lives of the staff. They truly live up to their ethos and treat every staff member as an individual.

Cons

As an associate lecturer, progression is very limited. There is no opportunity to work full time in this role, which is a shame.

Please find a way for ALs to take on more hours and possibly combine with writing materials - after all, we're using them!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging whilst rewarding

Pros

It’s a great environment with a huge potential to grow personally and professionally. With the work we do, we really do impact 1000’s or people’s lives for the better. The work/home balance is good and remuneration is competitive.

Cons

As with any large organisation, decisions and actions can sometimes be cumbersome. The amount of acronyms can also be daunting along with some interested ways of working.

Instil a culture of change and fluidity. Allow the chains to be release so new ideas can be trialled easily and quickly in order to make faster more agile decisions.

I enjoyed a degree enough to spend the last 15 years as a tutor.

Current Employee - Associate Lecturer  in  Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Lecturer in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Pros

Helpful line management; of obvious value to many students; and up-to-date technology - for the most part.
    For many students it wouldn't be practical to try out other routes into HE, so the OU widens access.

Cons

Hard work for all concerned, which isn't necessarily a con but does ask quite a lot of students with lots of other commitments.

Cash is always nice :)

Guiding Light

Current Employee - Associate Lecturer  in  Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Lecturer in Manchester, England (UK)

Pros

I am an OU graduate, and now an OU Lecturer, and I can honestly say that it is one of the most enabling setups in the modern world. The OU offers true choices to parents, to people who work, to people with dissimilar backgrounds... A true, global guiding light for many.

Cons

It is sometimes difficult to see "the wood for the trees" - so many options, so much material to choose from - not always looking in relevant places.

I have enjoyed brilliant management. Overall, I think the University needs to offer a wider range of degrees.

Rewarding career with Open University offer opportunity to change lives

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

Pros

I love working at the Open University - it's given me a creative ever changing career with the opportunity to grow and develop as an individual over the past 14 years. I have inspiring and committed colleagues, I do meaningful work that takes me across the world, and I work on a beautiful campus. Terms and conditions are fair, unquestionably one of the best employers in the area.

Cons

Inevitably there's bureaucracy as it's a large organisation. Some individuals, especially academics haven't moved with the times and don't realize that the university also has to operate as a business. Units often fail to address poor leadership.

Take care not to over work the most experienced and committed staff - instead make sure that procedures are in place to ensure that everyone delivers.

Endless opportunities at the OU

Former Employee - Fundraising Campaign Supervisor  in  Milton Keynes, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Fundraising Campaign Supervisor in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Pros

The OU have a certain way of getting you ready, prepared and feeling good about the job you are about to begin. Much the same as when you study there too.
    Fundraising for the charity has been one of the most interesting jobs I've ever had! It allowed me to speak directly with people who have gained personal achievement and success through study at the OU.

Cons

Understanding and the diversity and overall culture of the OU can take some adapting to.

I only have praise for the OU and highly rate it's achievements as a charity! I thoroughly enjoyed working and studying with them.

Inspiring

Current Employee - Associate Lecturer  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Lecturer in London, England (UK)

Pros

OU students are wonderful. I have worked as an Associate Lecturer for over 18 years and I never tire of them.

Cons

Sometimes people in Milton Keynes make stupid decisions but that happens anywhere

Involve ALs at all stages of your work.

Great place to work, equal and open to all, 25years and still enjoying it

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Milton Keynes, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Pros

Great terms and conditions, lovely people

Cons

Good early retirements packages would be ideal

Look after your good staff or loose them

Worked for The Open University? Contribute to the Community!