The Oregonian

Updated Apr 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

N. Christian Anderson

Recent times at The O have been restrictive.

Portland, OR

I worked at The Oregonian as an intern for less than a year

ProsWonderful colleagues - incredibly quick witted and intelligent - kept me coming back day after day.

ConsMoney was tight while I was there and that meant that layoffs always lingered and morale suffered. It was morbid and hard place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementJump, with both feet, into the future. Instead of reacting, learn to a bit more proactive about how technology intersects with content.

Where good sales people go to die...

Media Consultant (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at The Oregonian full-time for more than a year

ProsBrand recognition in an ever declining market space

ConsPrint is dead. This place is a dinosaur. The online portion of the business is owned by a different company, so selling print and online advertising together- which is a great idea- is nearly impossible. Two different sets of internal processes that don't add up to a successful way to run the business. Pay is terrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire everyone who has worked here for more than 10 years. There is so much dead weight at this company that the halls are literally decorated with driftwood. MadMen is a TV show, not a recipe for success in 2014.

A good place to work, but it's being eroded

Reporter (Former Employee)

I worked at The Oregonian full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSmart colleagues, interesting beats, a strong emphasis on writing. The newsroom has its share of gripes (unsurprisingly), but the work done here is really good. As a newspaper, the O generally punches above its weight.

ConsThe erosion of the journalism industry is taking its toll on salaries, jobs, everything here. It's become a much more depressing place to work, and I don't think anyone really knows how to turn that around. It's heart breaking to watch.

Changing, maybe not fast enough

I worked at The Oregonian

ProsGenerally the personnel care very much about doing the best they can. The company takes good care of its employees, good benefits. Pay is probably on par with other similar businesses. As a newspaper, it continues to do a great job. That being said, it's a job that fewer and fewer consumers are asking to be accomplished. The digital side of their business is not integrated well with the legacy side. That being said, OregonLive does a good job covering the community.

ConsLittle future here. It still remains to be seen if the newspaper can stand to publish 7 days a week. If it drops to 3-4 like some of its sister newspapers, that would not be the death of the company, but a better job of digital integration is needed ahead of time. Top leaders of the company don't seem to have a long term vision of maintaining presence in the market, seem to be milking current assets for the time being.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart sharing long term vision, provide a clear career path for those in the business side of the operation. Start to build a pipeline of future talent. Look long and hard at bringing in any outsiders, if you do, clear a path for them to do their job.

As print has declined, The Oregonian manages to decline even faster.

I worked at The Oregonian full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCorporate culture was positive while growing. Some effort made to transition to digital media makes a decent, short-term opportunity for knowledgeable young people.

ConsBenefits steadily and drastically decreased, with pay cutbacks, increased hours, and generally tighter corporate atmosphere crowding in. Suits aplenty roam the cubicles looking for something to do. The Oregonian has become a caricature of the newspaper publishing industry: an old man trying to reinvent himself while leaner creatures ignore and outdistance him. Nobody in the Broadway building knows what to do about the internet and those who might have an idea increasingly find no point in speaking their minds.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your brand and loosen the reins. You're a newspaper: act like one. Raise editorial standards to beat the internet in terms of quality; bring in the biggest local names for the opinion page; focus R&D on capitalizing on your distribution network. And, please stop it with the middle managers who don't know how to run a newspaper. Thrive or die already.

Used to be a great job, but now it's extremely stressful.

Media Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Oregonian

ProsVery good benefits package, the people are nice

ConsToo much time spent pushing paper for management, no open communication between management and front line. Many systems are very inefficient and leadership has a very shotgun approach which also slows down sales process. Goals are arbitrarily set for the month (at the beginning of each month) after sales gives their revenue estimates to their manager, which often kills incentive to sell more.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk the sales staff, "How can we help you sell more?" and then really listen. You have a lot more collective experience from your staff than you give credit for.

Hard work...

ProsGreat benefit/vacation package.
Very flexible with family leave.

ConsNo growth prospects for the future.

Great company facing decline

I worked at The Oregonian

ProsSalary, benefits, accommodations to personal needs all 5 star.

Top quality employees at most positions makes overall job easier.

ConsShrinking resources force company to reduce staff, increasing workloads, decreasing effectiveness.

"Everyone for himself" environment with constant rumors of layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove employee morale in spite of "layoff" environment by informing them, supporting them, and rewarding them with cash and recognition.

Great Product, Great People, Great work life balance, but no where to grow.

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Oregonian

ProsGreat Product. Everyone LOVES the paper and working with paper. Respect. Pretty good money for reps. Great work life balance.

ConsGlass ceiling. There is no where to go. So many changes due to the new way people receive information.

the oregonian sales

I have been working at The Oregonian

ProsThe benefits offered to part time employees is exceptional: medical,dental and vision.
Commisions paid to Inside Sales Associates is exceptional.

ConsThe working hours are a combination of afternoon,evening,and Saturday.
Rules and processes are defined but are not enforced.
Associates are pressed for sales and ethical standards of honesty are not enforced.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe rules and processes established for sales associates to increase customer satisfaction and retention. Associates should be held accountable for honest statements and not ignored for sake of a sale.

Worked for The Oregonian? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Oregonian reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Oregonian CEO N. Christian Anderson . All 12 reviews posted anonymously by The Oregonian employees.