The Oregonian

N. Christian Anderson

This company has clout!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Oregonian full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Oregonian has amazing ties with the local business community. They love working with the company. As print journalism declines digital journalism is on the rise! Last month we averaged over 6mm uniques per month. We are the largest local online platform in the NW.

Beyond Oregonian we are owned by Advance Publications which is one of the largest privately owned company in the country. dvance owns Conde Nast, Vogue, GQ, The New Yorker + 12 other local media companies. With our corporate technology we are able to offer to our clients SEM, SEO, Behavioral Targeting, Social Media Optimization. Our solutions go far beyond the newspaper + Oregonlive.com.

Don't call us the paper, we are a full service digital agency!

Smart industry leaders at the top. =)

Cons

Some of our digital solutions come from our corporate office, so it can be hard to manage internal processes.

Corporate America is different than ever before. The top down approach is outdated. Continually strive for a more flat organization.

Can newspapers evolve itself back to its glory days?

Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Oregonian part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are some really good people on the cutting edge of society that work here and it stood for ethics and the protection of rights for everyone. New chapter in their lives with the move to the new building and the conversion to a compact size edition of the paper.

Cons

Subscribers keep shrinking, revenue not what its used to be, they're always cutting costs...hopefully no more layoffs.

Hard to say, newspapers aren't going away like the pony express but must differentiate itself from other news media somehow. Lower the cost to advertise so as to fill up the paper with more ads or coupons. Make it a cost saving vehicle (more so than it is) so that people need it
    Create maybe a restaurant or activity guide of reviews and coupons or freebies for different regions of metro and other cities in Oregon on Saturdays

Worked at the O more than 5 years ago but left when things started to decline.

I worked at The Oregonian full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Terrific staff--was like family. Was a good place to work back in the day.

Cons

The newspaper industry started going downhill so was like being on a sinking ship.

Plummeting morale, insulting pay, incompetent management.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Oregonian full-time

Pros

Some people are making the best of the situation. A sinking ship can really bring people together. Also, 3 weeks of PTO is reasonable.

Cons

It's hard to think of an aspect that doesn't desperately need improvement. Lack of training and growth opportunities, lack of accountability across teams and ranks, lack of process standardization, lack of advancement opportunities, management decisions that are at best off-base and at worst morale-crushing... it's an incredibly political and immature environment. Pay is infuriatingly unbalanced and unrelated to performance or competition. Change is either too slow to happen, or happens without adequate planning.

I have lost my faith in management heeding any good advice, but for posterity's sake: listen to your employees. Create opportunities for top performers and lift a finger to retain them. Be accountable, proactive, and lead by example. Put the company and the staff before your own emotions and personal gain.

Dysfunctional

I have been working at The Oregonian

Pros

1. Nice office
    2. Competitive salaries
    3. Good benefits
    4. The latest technology

Cons

1. Too much change in too short of time with entrenched middle management that do not respond well to change
    2. Ratio of managers to employees is very high
    3. Managers reward work done quickly, not necessarily accurately
    5. All results in dysfunctional teams and a company culture that fosters political manuvuering

Ideas Move Quickly, Digitally Invested - Lot's of Smart People

I have been working at The Oregonian full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company has made a huge hiring push to bring in talent at every level. This is a great place to go if you want to see your ideas grow. Management is really making an effort to listen to the needs of the salesforce, and the systems are slowly coming around. Good work-life balance. Changing culture and a new facility.

Cons

Changing isn't easy and there's sometimes pain involved. This is a different company than it was even a few months ago. There's a long standing legacy of who this company is, and the external perception is still catching up.

Keep listening to the employees and the advertisers. More testing of product launches, more feedback before launching new systems. Don't be afraid to get aggressive in getting top talent!

Plate maker, inventory planner, safety officer

Former Employee - Plate Maker, Inventory Planner, Safety Officer in Portland, OR

I worked at The Oregonian full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We worked with quite a bit of new technology.

Cons

Restructuring was the norm and managers and executive managers did not care about their emploees. Their job was to reduce wages and elliminate employees to make the company look more profitable. The pay and benefits were great for many years. This company gave out a job security clause then took it away when the economy tanked. The clause said they wouldn't do that but they did. Benefits went away. The culture is nepatistic in nature. Over the years they tried to eliminate that but in the end it still lives. Just look at the employees that are still there and you'll see quite a few that their relatives used to work there.

There's no advice except to listen to your conscious.

Declining fast, morale terrible

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at The Oregonian full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Colleagues and workmates: for the most part, intelligent, motivated (or, used to be), and great people to work with. I can't think of many more positive things to say.

Cons

Used to be a great company, before 4 years ago. The paper is basically run out of New York by Advance Publishing. Major decisions are imposed on local management. Managers are managing out of fear of their supervisors, whether in Portland or in NY. Innovation and independent thinking are punished and/or discouraged, or even worse, sometimes stolen by managers who then take credit for profitable ideas. Employee morale inside the company is the worst I have experienced in any company I have ever worked for.

Stand up for the bright thinkers and smart workers in your department, and kick back against stupid ideas from above, even though it may mean you jeopardize your position. Honestly, your best move would be to quit and find a better company to work for, that values it's employees.

Circling the drain

Current Employee - Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Oregonian full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Medical, Dental and eye benefits

Cons

Favoritism (promotes based on who they like better, not who has the most experience. Doesn't care to save the one thing (the newspaper) that brought it to where it is today. One Dimensional thinking. Sales managers encourage unethical behavior.

Resign.

Outstanding environment for creative minds.

I have been working at The Oregonian

Pros

The atmosphere is set for productive employees who care about what they do. You'll find that people you meet for the first time from other departments are ready and willing to help each other in all things. It is a goal oriented environment that also allows for ownership of your duties and how you get tasks completed. Training in all aspects is continuously provided to help each person be the best they can. Very positive thinking workplace.

Cons

Some advancement opportunities for non sales positions are limited.

It would be beneficial for more constructive meetings to listen to potential solutions from the bottom of the worker chain as many of the best ideas for improvement of processes can be found from the people working with them everyday.