The Ottawa Hospital

Add Photos

The Ottawa Hospital President & CEO Jack Kitts

Jack Kitts

Very good hospital

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI loved working in this hospital. The work environment was good.

Consnothing negative to say. I enjoyed working there.

Friendly staff and adequate breaks make it a great place to earn more than minimum wage.

Attendant (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsEveryone can agree with the most important company value: treat patients like loved ones
    Very good paid training for every aspect of your job
    Meetings with supervisor are scheduled often and in a very relaxed atmosphere

ConsVery long time before getting offered part-time (as opposed to casual on-call) work
    Out-dated equipment
    Work either in very hot or very cold environment

Advice to Senior ManagementInstall air-exchangers in the dishroom please
    Don't be stingy with raises, we work hard

Potential is there for a great workplace

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsSalary was competitive, actually above average. For permanent employees, the benefits package is outstanding. Paid overtime and 4 weeks vacation. Some great people.

ConsSome not so great people.
    Employees not promoted based on merit. Can only move up if a more senior position becomes available, and then you must compete for it.
    Lack of support from management.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome big changes are in the works. Things may sort themselves out.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good and bad

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsComes organization so many positive challenges in work

ConsLack of loyalty to staff promotion

Advice to Senior ManagementLeverage and grow internal resources , get human resource departments der control

Review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLoved working there a lot of opportunities

ConsHard to get in and get positions

Not a healthy environment

ProsPay in line with CBA. Friendly staff.

ConsPoor management. Poor financial planning. The hospital will spend a lot of money to appear like we care but fail to provide the tools and staff to provide that care (ie layoff of essential staff, cut backs on patient services such as cafeteria etc.)

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff. Provide a safe environment to give the care that the hospital preaches.

Great place to work

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsCaring and understanding staff. Always something to do at a reasonable pace and there's always shifts.

ConsEarly mornings and fast paced environment

Does Not live up to its values

Staff Nurse (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Prosgood pay and excellent coordinators off hours

Consleaders do not share the true values of the hospital, do not walk the talk

Advice to Senior Managementlive your values and do not punish those if they do follow them

Inconsitency in management

Staff Nurse (Current Employee)

ProsBecause of its size there are many opportunities to gain experience in different areas. Salaries are in line with current collective agreements.

ConsSome of the nurse management is very strong. Nurses feel supported.
    In other cases nurse managers are "bullies" in the true sense of the word. This results in very low moral, fear and a total lack of respect especially when the manager was hired from outside the hospital.

Advice to Senior ManagementDespite being told otherwise --- there is still a lot of fear in reporting management that manage through intimidation and old fashion "bullying" tactics. Currentlyif a manager disciplines you are guily until proven otherwise-this puts the employee at risk of termination before he/she can go through the necessary process to have record cleared. It has resulted in employees having to leave.
    Senior management needs to enforce the code of conduct with unit managers.

great working with the clinical staff to improve technology

Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Pros- some really great people to work with.
    - one of the most advanced healthcare institutions in the area with the most money to spend.
    - seeing the faces of staff when improvements make their job much easier and saves them time.

Cons- parking is limited. took 1 year to get a parking spot, then became a ~ 70 deduction per month.
    - too many things going on in IT and lack of communication between groups within the department.
    - some of the "long term" employees feel to comfortable and set in their ways to become innovative and explore new possibilities.

- recent healthcare cutbacks could have huge impact on the services.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better between groups, and get the longer term employees that are set in their ways, to lift a little more weight, or let some new keen staff to move in and make needed changes.

Worked for The Ottawa Hospital? Contribute to the Community!