The OutCast Agency

Add Photos

Alex Constantinople

Great Place to Get PR Experience

Assistant Account Executive (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsTraining, learn the ins and outs of PR, friendly employees, great office and location, dog friendly office, top-tier clients.

ConsPay could be better, especially given the clients, office seems to be a bit gossipy and clicky.

The worst professional experience of my life

Associate (Intern) (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsOC has an amazing client list and portfolio of work, but the bragging rights and client exposure aren't worth the lack of basic human decency.

ConsI'm not even sure where to start. The internship program is a revolving door of hard-working, hungry young professionals who do not realize they are being taken advantage of in a horrible job market where college grads willing to work for Facebook and Instagram are a dime a dozen. If you are not well-liked at OutCast, do not count on being hired on at the end of your internship. It is nothing more than a popularity contest where blame can easily be passed onto interchangeable interns and your fate is essentially sealed by whomever you're answering to, regardless of your work ethic.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the fact that most decisions and promotions are based on blatant favoritism.

Coven of witches--with one "Supreme".

Intern (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsDuring recruitment and early phase of employment it was a fun place to work and I was treated with respect.

ConsMid-level managment snipes at those beneath them. There was one employee--and when she felt threatened or if there was ever a question--even for clarity--you were then targeted by her and she systematically began eroding away not only my confidence--but the confidence that others had in me.

Advice to Senior ManagementCarefully monitor the tendencies of the person I am referring to--you know who she is--she is the one that pentultimately is responsible for the termination of the majority of the employees that come and go in this revolving door culture--why revolving?--no one can stand working/inter-facing with her, it becomes apparent, and she sees them eliminated and she moves on to her next target.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience has been extremely rewarding.

Assistant Account Executive (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat onboard training, extremely friendly and open environment, awesome company culture. Everyone is smart, sharp and super supportive of each other's work. HR is a great support system throughout the entire process. Could not imagine working anywhere else!

ConsMy 35 minute commute is the only thing I can complain about here.

Best PR Agency to work for

PR Exec (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsOutCast is a place that enables growth like no other PR agency. Working with amazing professionals and clients every day. Leadership listens to everyone, puts people on to accounts they want to work on as best they can, and treats its employees amazingly - especially salaries SAE level and above. It is fast paced and a place for people who enjoy working hard and doing big things for big clients. Those that find busy days/weeks overwhelming and want to be promoted based on longevity don't work out.

ConsThere are always few people that do nothing but complain or sulk or be paranoid about their status with management rather than bring ideas to the table, carve out a niche, and make an effort to learn. Not everyone has great experience because it can be demanding - some like the challenge and some dont.

Advice to Senior ManagementWeed out the people that become bitter vs. better faster

Good for a select few. Beware.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Fast paced atmosphere with great clients
    - Near all transportation
    - Hip office layout
    - Near many food options
    - Great office manager (the only thing close to HR in New York)
    - Solid upper management

Cons- Extremely cliquey: if you're not with the "in crowd" right off the bat, you will not survive.
    - No HR in New York office.
    - Employees are always "Heads Down": very quiet office with hardly any noise or conversation (except when employees are on the phone).
    - No leadership from middle management
    - Company advertises a balanced work/life environment but is not a reality in New York office.
    - Accounts have both New York, San Francisco, and remote employees. Very rarely do you meet your entire team in person.
    - No honest sense of progress.
    - Office is very cold (temperature) during the winter. Heating system either breaks down or blows cold air most of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementTwo things: 1) Bring in people who can lead. Lower management tends to go through the motions when dealing with new employees. 2) During the interview process, don't just send in anyone to interview. Make sure the potential candidate meets the people they will be actually working with.

The worst six months of my life

Intern (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe office was awesome - a very cushy place to spend what felt like an eternity of hell.

ConsWhere to even begin? The company goes to great lengths to create a facade of a cool start-up space, however there is such a high school locker room mentality throughout the office that I am honestly impressed that anything gets done around there. Interns are treated like pledges, and spoken to like children. HR pays little attention to interns work load - I found myself with a nearly impossible schedule where the majority of my days I had about 5 back-to-back meetings, one of which was an hour and a half long. However, interns were reprimanded if they failed to take their lunch break - our group of interns actually had a meeting with HR to explain that we were not neglecting to take the lunch breaks by choice, but by virtue of the fact that we were expected to be attached to our computers and phones at all hours of the day. Far too much emphasis on email - email is also used as a tool of manipulation if any conversations or work should take place offline. Blatant favoritism abound. For how much responsibility the interns are given, the remote laptops for meetings DESPERATELY need to be updated. Very difficult to take meeting notes on a laptop that will not work/connect to the internet. Slightly bewildered that a company that is so tech-focused would fail to see the irony of providing inadequate computers. No thanks on the Jawbone merch, I'd rather have a working laptop.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew computers, pay closer attention to how your mid-level employees are treating interns.

Not a good place to intern

Intern (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAccounts are interesting clients. Good especially if you want to work in tech. Occasional fun events throughout the month you might have time to attend if you actually afford to take a break. Office is cool, good location.

ConsIf you're thinking about applying for an internship, or should I say "associate" position here, don't! It seems like a great opportunity on paper - a six month, full-time paid position where you'll have the opportunity to work with some high profile clients, specifically in the tech industry. The truth is that while it may look good on your resume, it's not worth your sanity. I don't know what it's like for those in more senior positions, but as far as I could tell, the amount of work this places expects associates, AAE's and even AE's to handle is ridiculous. Expect to consistently work at least 9 hours a day, if not more. Everyone seems friendly and welcoming at first, but you'll probably quickly realize that the majority of people working here are anything but that. If you have a certain look, and manage to get the right people to favor you, you might find working here to be ok. It's still not a very pleasant place though. I know that after I left, several other interns began seeking out other opportunities and left before their six months was up. A big problem is that a lot of the AAE's the associates work with don't really have a good grasp of what they're supposed to be doing themselves. Probably because almost all of them start as interns here as well, and no one actually takes the time to teach them or train them properly cause everyone is just to swamped with their own work. It's unfortunate cause the clients are all pretty interesting, but the way accounts are handled is just poor.

This company eats their young!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCEO is great but is unaware of how the mid-management treats interns! Occasional celebrations after completing all work effort(s) for large accounts.

ConsMid-managment--a coven of witches! They use you up and throw you away. Petty back-biting jealousies when interns do well--the mid-managment is threatened and basically then work to undermine your efforts.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the coven!

This is the most toxic company I have ever worked for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCasual office and great location. Everyone seems very friendly at first and if you become one of the "in" group you will do well.

ConsConstant turnover. Instead of letting people go immediately they would mess with them for a few months to create complete anxiety and then fire them. This did not happen to me but it's not pleasant to watch.

Worked for The OutCast Agency? Contribute to the Community!