The OutCast Agency Reviews

2.8
Alex Constantinople

1. Great Place to Get PR Experience

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The OutCast Agency full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Training, learn the ins and outs of PR, friendly employees, great office and location, dog friendly office, top-tier clients.

Cons

Pay could be better, especially given the clients, office seems to be a bit gossipy and clicky.

OutCast

I worked at The OutCast Agency full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company seemed like a fun place to work for the first few months. They have lots of employee events that were fun and well organized.

Cons

Someone else wrote that this was the worst experience of their career and I have to agreed. I worked at OutCast for 2 1/2 years and your best bet was not to make any friends. Management regularly targeted people and treated them very badly for weeks before firing them. Everyone I had become friendly with in the first year were gone by the second year and in my years in the workforce I had never experienced anything like this. A revolving door is being polite. It was a very very bad experience.

Advice to Management

Have empathy for your employees and treat them with respect. Try to create a culture where people are happy to go to work, where they do not feel overworked and stressed. If people feel valued they will do outstanding work, most of your employees have the prospect of loosing their job hanging over their head all the time.

The worst professional experience of my life

Former Intern - Associate (Intern) in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Associate (Intern) in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The OutCast Agency as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

OC has an amazing client list and portfolio of work, but the bragging rights and client exposure aren't worth the lack of basic human decency.

Cons

I'm not even sure where to start. The internship program is a revolving door of hard-working, hungry young professionals who do not realize they are being taken advantage of in a horrible job market where college grads willing to work for Facebook and Instagram are a dime a dozen. If you are not well-liked at OutCast, do not count on being hired on at the end of your internship. It is nothing more than a popularity contest where blame can easily be passed onto interchangeable interns and your fate is essentially sealed by whomever you're answering to, regardless of your work ethic.

Advice to Management

Fix the fact that most decisions and promotions are based on blatant favoritism.

Coven of witches--with one "Supreme".

Current Intern - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The OutCast Agency as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

During recruitment and early phase of employment it was a fun place to work and I was treated with respect.

Cons

Mid-level managment snipes at those beneath them. There was one employee--and when she felt threatened or if there was ever a question--even for clarity--you were then targeted by her and she systematically began eroding away not only my confidence--but the confidence that others had in me.

Advice to Management

Carefully monitor the tendencies of the person I am referring to--you know who she is--she is the one that pentultimately is responsible for the termination of the majority of the employees that come and go in this revolving door culture--why revolving?--no one can stand working/inter-facing with her, it becomes apparent, and she sees them eliminated and she moves on to her next target.

Intern/Associate: Worth every minute.

I worked at The OutCast Agency as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

If you want to learn and work in tech PR, have the BEST clients (hands down, no other firm has the top-to-bottom account wins that OutCast does) work with insanely qualified people, and set yourself up for the future in case it doesn't work out or you want to move on, then there are very few (if any) other places where you can do all that. You just need to go in with the proper expectations.

*By the end of your time at OC, you will be able to name the players (big and small) in tech media, and what they like to write about. Interns are not allowed to pitch media, but.. you're an intern, so it happens.

*Learn PR - If you pay attention, learn and perform on the things you will be asked to do on a fast turnaround, you will be better prepared than the majority of AC/AAEs at other firms. It's PR bootcamp.

*Clients - You will work with 3-4 client accounts at a time, and they will be a combination of established/startup/consumer/enterprise and at least one of them will be a major player - Facebook, Airbnb, a16z, Box, GE, Instagram, Pinterest, Spotify, etc.

*The island: My time on "the island", with the other interns was a big part of why I enjoyed the experience. Having 10 other people who are going through the same things as you, and having them as a support system, is critical. You are competing for a full-time job with them, but if the right people are there, it won't feel like that.

*Network - If things don't work out, the HR and VP/SVPs are really nice and know a people all over the PR and Tech industries that will help you find a job, if you prove you can perform.

*Office - "Start-up cool" looking office with open seating in a great location: MUNI stops right in front of the SOMA office, which happens to be across the street from AT&T Park. Roof deck for relaxation, too.

Cons

In full disclosure, this is a competitive, stressful and fast paced work environment. When you work on multiple accounts, accounts that are popular with media and who have no promise they will be around in a year, that's just the way it is. People are told to be hyper-professional, especially over email.

If you expect this job, or really any PR job, to be easy-going, you will be disappointed, but that is the trade-off that comes from being able to do the work you do.

HR was vastly overworked while I was there, but I believe they have increased staffing.

The staff can be a bit clique-y and not the friendliest, but they are also under the gun all the time.

The biggest issue is the monthly reports: Every account puts together monthly summaries of activities that largely fall on the interns to draft (which can take 5-10 hours each), that are detailed to a degree that hinders productivity with other deliverables. I find it difficult to believe that they represent a worth-wile ROI, considering the time/resources that go into them.

Advice to Management

Reduce monthly reporting scope, pair interns with a staff member mentor that they do not report to, keep pulling in amazing clients.

7. Great Potential, but...

I worked at The OutCast Agency full-time

Pros

Good benefits
    Some good people working here
    Casual dress code

Cons

Lots of complainers
    Very clique-y
    Too quiet!
    Not enough enforcement of policies from higher up

Advice to Management

More communication! Less endless meetings

Great place to work

I worked at The OutCast Agency

Pros

The HR folks and on-boarding process is awesome! I remember meeting loads of people my first week and getting tons of info at once but it allowed me to quickly understand roles, the agency and overall process. HR takes care of you here!

people honestly don't want you working late here. You have to make your own "balance" but folks get it when you say you need time to recharge.

Super friendly and funny management.

Schedule is flexible, you can work from home when you need to

Agency meetings are great. Folks share lessons learned and moments of excellence. Great team spirit and sense of appreciation.

Cons

Old habits die hard here.

It's always a fire drill and everything is last minute

other non traditional PR services are still being developed. Feels like folks are learning as they go, best practices often fall off.

Management is either way too involved or not involved enough. Hard to find a good middle ground.

9. My experience has been extremely rewarding.

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The OutCast Agency full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great onboard training, extremely friendly and open environment, awesome company culture. Everyone is smart, sharp and super supportive of each other's work. HR is a great support system throughout the entire process. Could not imagine working anywhere else!

Cons

My 35 minute commute is the only thing I can complain about here.

10. I had a terrible experience at OutCast.

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The OutCast Agency full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good office location. Excellent client list.

Cons

Terrible upper management and no junior level training/growth opportunities. This company is like the sorority I never wanted to join. There was so many caddy women at this office as well as women who would stab you in the back and not take ownership of when they actually made mistakes. The atmosphere is terrible. Its absolutely silent all day long all I would hear would be people sighing or expressing sighs of stress. No work like balance what so ever. Most of the employees are miserable and the agency has an extremely high turn over rate.

Advice to Management

Work on growing your junior level staff and appreciating the unique skills they bring to the table. Realize employees burn out and do not value employees for shallow purposes such as clothing or shoes.

11. I guess not everyone has the same experience here

I worked at The OutCast Agency as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Fun events throughout the month give a good, but short, break from work. Some of my account team members were very supportive and did whatever possible to try and help me succeed. Breakfast cereal and milk available all day.

Cons

I read some of the other reviews on this site, and I have to disagree with some of the pros other people have mentioned. First of all, I'm sure HR is very busy, seeing the high turnover rate and it's a larger sized agency and all, but I never really felt like HR cared while I was at OC. My check ins were regularly canceled or moved without my prior knowledge. On more than one occasion I also had account team members tell me I should stay an extra hour or two to do work, and it wasn't even stuff on an urgent deadline. Now I realize that occasional overtime is unavoidable, but when myself and other interns are coming in at 7am and working basically 12 straight hours until 7pm, more than a couple times a month, that's kind of ridiculous.