The Palo Alto Medical Foundation

Richard Slavin

good place to work

Current Employee - Certified Medical Assistant in Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - Certified Medical Assistant in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at The Palo Alto Medical Foundation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good benefits good pay great system set up

Cons

higher management, management needs better training. getting reimbursement for the cma test and favoritism

lean sucks

Steered by Sutter Health

Current Employee - Dietitian
    Current Employee - Dietitian

I have been working at The Palo Alto Medical Foundation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Encouraged and paid to attend continuing ed opportunities, maintain 2 profession society memberships. Felt supported by my colleagues, not at all competitive or catty.

Cons

Recent emphasis on productivity means jam packed schedules, no lunch break, and only 1 hour allotted for charting for salaried employees. Annual cost of living salary increase only.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Licensed Vocational Nurse in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Licensed Vocational Nurse in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at The Palo Alto Medical Foundation part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Coworkers are all professional and generally easy to get along with. Most everyone will pitch in and help when they see you are needing it. Supervisors are approachable.

Cons

The supreme emphasis on patient/client satisfaction means that there are some individuals that can get very demanding, and they know how to to play the system; but you have no recourse really as everything is geared towards making them happy.

Great, love this place

Current Employee - Medical Assistant
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant

I have been working at The Palo Alto Medical Foundation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent patient care, good to their employees.

Cons

Short staffing, becoming too "commercial"

Stick with healthcare, and quit making so many business changes. "If it ain't broke..."

Not what I expected but it's ok I guess

Current Employee - Analyst in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at The Palo Alto Medical Foundation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Comprehensive benefit package, great medical reputation, good compensation, flexible workplace, great work-life balance, ability to move around in different job functions, prize long-term employees

Cons

Very expensive medical benefits where we have to pay for half our premium (much more than all the other healthcare organizations I've worked for and even among its own affiliates!), poor management, poor communication throughout company, going through a re-org so things are changing from day-to-day and lack of communication exasperates the low-morale effects of the entire organization, not sure how leaders are chosen when they seem to know nothing and newer people who probably would be better managers at certain functions are surpassed by others who have just been here longer regardless of skill level

Two years at PAMF

Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Fremont, CA

Pros

values team work, after hours and weekend differential, great team/medical staff to work with (Urgent care) various schedules available for flexibility with school

Cons

difficult getting weekends/ vacation time off, mandatory working every weekend and holiday, no promotions offered to hard working candidates

flexibility on weekend and after hour staff

PAMF

Current Employee - Medical Management in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Medical Management in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at The Palo Alto Medical Foundation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Stable organization, job security, great benefits, relaxed office culture

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for growth.

Positive, supportive culture, great company

Former Employee - Clinical Dietitian and Diabetes Educator in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Clinical Dietitian and Diabetes Educator in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at The Palo Alto Medical Foundation part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The clinic functions at state-of-the-art, leading edge of healthcare. My department encouraged me to function independently, and develop behavior modification techniques to gain rapport with my clients as I deemed appropriate. Department team spirit came naturally as each member was respected and everyone supported each other. Our manager understood each of us personally, supported us and encouraged us to expand and take on new focuses when ready to do so, to keep our professional experience fresh and well-rounded with new learning and growth to keep pace with the field.

Cons

I am aware that not every employee in other departments shared my positive image for the company. However I have no complaints or concerns as it was a great working environment for me throughout my decade of employment there!

The top-notch quality of the clinic's culture came from top-down. Upper management created an environment where professionals were encouraged to shine and continue to find ways to function at their best. Great employee support, safety, and good open-door policies being willing to listen to suggestions and concerns. Department management provided great balance of supporting team members and maintaining focus of quality improvements, so that the team functioned smoothly, schedules worked efficiently, while maintaining a pace that supported ability to care for our clients appropriately.

great!!

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at The Palo Alto Medical Foundation as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Overall a good company to work with. I would recommend it to anybody with health care domain

Cons

no cons as such I feel. good work-life balance, personal growth is not much

Not much fun...

Former Employee - Nurse in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Nurse in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at The Palo Alto Medical Foundation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Pay was just okay.

Cons

Crappy management and tiresome bureacracy.

Forget the silly lean b.s.!