The Pantry

Be The First To
Add Photos

The Pantry President & CEO Dennis G. Hatchell

Dennis G. Hatchell

Pros
  • This job is very fulfilling and offers opportunity for advancement(in 3 reviews)

• free coffee and fountain drinks(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours because employees only get 25 part time(in 5 reviews)

• It seems that upper management does not have a clear strategy or the strategy is always changing(in 3 reviews)

Store sales manger; promoted from 3rd shift to assistant mgr to store manager in one year.

Store Sales Manager (Current Employee) Concord, NC

ProsDecent pay, and had I personally had a great District Manager and Regional Sales Director. Once you had a good team the store basically ran itself. Fairly simple expectations from corporate. Great comradery with other managers.

ConsFinding and training a good team is extremely hard; not many "great" employees are lining up to work at a gas station. Long hours, the norm is about fifty but it was not uncommon to work up to seventy and sometimes not get a day off for multiple weeks. Sometimes corporate would have a "great idea" that they would hand down unfinished or completely broken and leave the stores to sort out the mess.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote the good people quickly before they get away. Adopt a small floating cashier/sales team for each district that include 1 or 2 floating assistant managers, to cover when the inevitable call outs or no-notice terminations take place.

You will be frustrated frequently working at The Pantry

ProsThe office in Cary is extremely clean, nice and new and the atmosphere is friendly. The free drinks, and free merchandise samples, are a great benefit. Depending on the department pay is competitive. The company is lean, which allows the employees to take on more responsibility and get a lot more broad experience as well as a significant amount of face to face time with upper management. Also it seems positions are always coming open because people are always leaving.

ConsThere is no women in Vice President roles, or women executive leaders.The corporate office runs really lean in a lot of departments. The Pantry rarely promotes within and fills most roles using external candidates. The company doesn't do a great job with developing the pool of inner talent and developing succession plans. The Pantry is a revolving door for Senior Management. It seems every year bonuses, department G&A budgets get significantly smaller. Most corporate support center employees don't get a bonus. Benefits are not great, they make you wait a year to enroll in 401k and company match.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Pantry should look at the employees (store associates not just corporate employees) as an asset to be maximized. Cutting labor at the store may be a good strategy for a quick boost of profits but this strategy in the long run will kill the Pantry. Turn over will continue to soar and the company will never grow or fight off competitors if The Pantry doesn't change how it does business. At the end of the day you can put all the expensive equipment and programs into a store but if you don't hire and keep hardworking motivated associates that see value in their job you will continue to have poor execution and a continue to offer a poor customer experience. As competition increases Quick Trip and WaWa are going to win every time because they deliver a better customer experience and that drives customer loyalty. .

Store Manager

Store Manager (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

Prosyou are paid weekly and they have over 1500 locations thru multiple states

ConsNo long term employee loyalty

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on the employees who have worked for the company for numerous years instead of hiring part time employees so you can offer less pay and no benefits.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

not good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosbenefits, company car,company phone

Conswont you to work 7/24

Advice to Senior Managementgood ol buddy system

Worst place to work

Store Manager (Current Employee)

Pros1500 locations on east coast

Conspay is miserable at best
    lack of caring from district managers and higher ups
    hours suck
    store managment busts there butts to make stors better only to be belittled for not doing enough
    Distract managers will "throw managers under bus" when ever they feel like it
    High turnaround in employment

Advice to Senior Managementnever

Total lack of caring for anyone except shareholders, customers bedamned.benefits

ProsBenefits for mgmt team. Weekend off and vacations time IF you can work it in with your labor guidelines.

ConsVery long hours, always short handed due to labor constraints. Employees want to do a good job, and work in a clean organized store. We feel frustrated in having too give something up for "making labor". NO communication from support center, we seem to find things out after the fact. New monthly promotions always wrong 1st day or 2.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo into other convenience store and see what is working for them. Copy that, don't just give us the less expensive version. Pay and part time hours and raises for new hires are all bad. Full timers with insurance take on a more this is my store attitude than a tired part timer trying to juggle 2 jobs.
    Large stores need to be run differently than low volume.

No financial stability allowed!!!

Lead Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIt's a job, but not a career.

ConsEverything else. The pay sucks the hours suck they hire to many people for low pay then force them to work under 28 hours, so turn around is extremely high!!! They really don't care about there employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise salaries and limit part time employees. Focus on full time people who what to work. Mapco pays $11.50 to start kangaroo pay $7.25 to start then pretty much no raises.

Poor training but great access to internal opportunities.

ProsStarting pay is a dollar higher than min. wage.

ConsTraining was poor.
    Poor communication between managers.

Ineffective, disorganized, and unstable

Developer (Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsMost people are cordial; Some of the IT projects are interesting; Health insurance costs are modest for mediocre coverage

ConsHR cannot be trusted; Legal dept exists only to make sure managers are protected from their abuses (like forcing employees to work off the clock); Most ineffective IT group I have ever worked for; Took 8 years to upgrade their ERP system and still can't track costs to the item level; Installed multimillion dollar fuel pricing system that resulted in the worst fuel sales in company history; Installed multimillion dollar time clock system that doesn't work; Took several years to install POS that works in only half the stores; Also they only pay lip service to SARBOX controls (audit nightmare); Management doesn't listen to nor do they care about the employees; Bad employees and managers are often protected by legal team- Innovation is discouraged

Advice to Senior ManagementIT management needs to be completely removed; Senior HR management needs to be completely turned over - Biggest need is to listen to the employees!!!!!!

Avoid at all cost

Store Manager (Current Employee) Gainesville, FL

ProsNo education required for advancement

Cons... No education required for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementSet real world standards for hiring management

Worked for The Pantry? Contribute to the Community!