The Peak Organization

Richard Eichenberg, CPC

Good place to start

Former Employee - Technician in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Technician in Portland, OR

I worked at The Peak Organization as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I worked with this company as one of their contractors for about a year. Things they do well:

1. They're encouraging: My first job with Peak was my first step into real IT outside of end-user technical support and I was a little nervous about what to expect being fresh out of a couple certifications, but without much in-the-field hands-on experience. The recruiter who handled my first job seemed to understand this and was very supportive.

2. They're professional: Not much to say about this, but they do follow-up if you have questions.

3. They pay pretty well for the work: 4 hour minimums! I started at $16/hr and was getting $20/hr by the time I moved back into full-time and stopped doing work with Peak. They will make sure you get reimbursed for most other extraneous costs whenever necessary. One job that I completed required steel-toed boots because the computers were located on a factory floor. I was reimbursed for the purchase of the boots along with my regular pay. They also offered to pay for gas and travel expenses for a couple out-of-the-way jobs I ended up not taking.

4. They're flexible: On more than one occasion, they were able to work with my schedule when setting up a contract job.

5. They're friendly!: I consider this a big one when you're doing work where you won't often see the fruits of your labor or the same people in the companies you are helping. All my correspondence with the handful of project coordinators from Peak who I worked with regularly was great.

That said, keep in mind if you work for Peak as a contractor, you are still a contractor. In my own experience, however, they are one of the better companies to work for if you are looking to get your feet wet in IT and possibly make some connections.

Cons

1. Communication breakdowns:

The biggest problem I had was a communication breakdown that probably had less to do with Peak and more to do with the companies for which they provided IT contractors. This kind of issue seems pretty par for the course with short-term IT contract work (I have done work for other IT contracting companies as well). It was not unusual for me to arrive at a site and find that the date for hardware delivery was wrong or, in one case, that the entire field map for the building was wrong because the company had moved and not relayed this information. I have seen far worse occur with other contracting companies, so with the exception of the building map, Peak has still done fairly well in this area.

2. No benefits

This is par for the course with contract work as well, but it's worth noting.

Keep it up! Just make sure you get the correct information to your contractors in the field.

Personnel problems

Former Employee - Technician in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technician in New York, NY

I worked at The Peak Organization as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good client list, decent (not good) pay. Will keep you busy, if only with short-term deployments.

Cons

Low hiring standards; some of the technicians I worked with belonged stocking shelves in a store, not working in a professional environment. Most of the tech leads have no business being in charge of anyone or anything. None of the recruiters will return a call unless they need you to staff a contract.

Stop hiring anyone with a pulse. Not everyone can manage.

A close-knit quirky place filled with some really great people and other people who won't talk to you for years.

Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at The Peak Organization

Pros

You're allowed to laugh be own your sense of self.

Cons

A little old-school, a lil old fashioned, and the culture is one that will never change. It doesn't seem to be the count the calls type of recruiting agency though which is great.

Respect and treat all of your people equally. Coach senior level leads on how to treat and respect others in the team.

Class act search firm, hand off, yet needs a personality.

Current Employee - Managing Director - Executive Recruiter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Managing Director - Executive Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at The Peak Organization

Pros

Collegial atmosphere and very hands off versus other search firms, state of the art computer system for recruiting, and a fair amount of flexibility for those in senor positions as long as production is at an acceptable level. Solid administrative and technical support system in place. The company is very highly regarded as a search firm, with a long history of strong relationships with major corporations, law firms, and financial institutions.

Cons

Senior management is reluctant to settle disputes, and commission / client / candidate splitting guidelines are vague at best. The separation of the firm into two floors has eliminated company cohesiveness and the family mentality is gone.

Involve all employees in more company events...this will bring them closer and create a more positive morale level.