The Phoenix Companies

www.phoenixwm.phl.com

The Phoenix Companies Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014
The Phoenix Companies – Hartford – “Phoenix's headquarters is a major architectural…”

The Phoenix Companies President & CEO, The Phoenix Companies, Inc. James D. Wehr

James D. Wehr

The Phoenix is an excellent place to work as the company is employee and family friendly.

Vice President (Former Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsFamily focused, flex time, good employee development and competitive salary. The company provides good training and it usually develops internal personnel and promotes from within.

ConsSmall insurance company, not well known in the mid-west and west. Company runs with a very lean staff.
    Some senior managers are not seasoned in personnel management, which may lead to poor judgement in managing their staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the staff/personnel management skills of some of the senior/upper managers for results. Consider staff retention, morale and loyalty. Don't run so lean, it causes burn-out and staff turnover.

Heartbreak

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHad a great history and some good people.

ConsSenior management absolutely ruined a once great company. Donna Young and her group of fat cats robbed the company of millions and then bailed with fat buyouts, while the foot soldiers got stuck picking up the pieces and eventually without a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementJim Weir is doing the best he can, but has little to work with. The Wells Fargo side of Saybrus Partners will continue to be a drag.

Small Company with Big Company ideals.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsI always enjoyed the people and the culture at Phoenix. There has never been another Company like it. People are friendly, almost like family. The time off policies are very good and the benefit package is top notch.

ConsCommunication has always been a challenge for this company. It is hard sometimes to understand what the Company's goals are and how to communicate it to the front line so that everyone can be working toward the same future.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much senior management for such a small company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Experience

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCompetitive salary, nice benefits , good people.

ConsClosed my regional office for consolidation.

Get as far away from this company as you can!!!

Manager of Call Center (Current Employee) East Greenbush, NY

ProsOnce a great company, now a shaddy fourth tier insurance company.

ConsToo much to really put in writing, but most current and former employees would say that management from top to bottom had destroyed a great company.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell company to a much more stable(ratings) buyer and relieve the current incompetent management and HR.

Once excellent company now a disaster...

Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsI can think of none. Read their financials-there are some ticking time bombs. Nice building-nice location-they should sell the building and rent space outside of Hartford.

ConsLimited number of products, no distribution system. No definitive or realistic plans in place to reverse the downward trend. This company should be in runoff...they're in the death spiral and refuse to accept it.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut either a sales person or an actuary in charge-not a former efficency expert.

Once great company has now hit rock bottom

Call Center Manager (Current Employee) East Greenbush, NY

ProsThe people I work with are great and the company does a lot with United Way

ConsManagement is poor at all levels and the HR department makes no effort to bring in talent to build on company

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to take good hard look at company's ratings and be honest with themselves that the company's survival in the industry is coming to an end.

Prior to the last few months, The Phoenix was a great company to work for.

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsThey're willing to listen to opinions of their employees.

ConsWith the previous announcement of a restatement, many people are concerned about the security of their position.
    The hour long drive each way is becoming wearisome.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate the status of the company to their employees more often.

It's located in the Boat building but this company is a sinking ship.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of friendly decent people. Good commuting options. Not a bad city to work in if you live in Connecticut and has close access to museums and restaurants.

ConsIncompetent management layers (at least when I worked there) A lot of broken promises companywide including layoffs. Human Resources is of no help when you have a grievance.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek more imput from ALL employees. Dont rely on mid- level management to implement this (They will scuttle it as much as possible) Go directly to employee for feedback.

Very laid back culture

ProsNice people, friendly working environment, early exposure to senior management

ConsIn Hartford and no other corporate offices.

Worked for The Phoenix Companies? Contribute to the Community!