The Point Group

Updated Jun 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

David Kniffen

"Some of the best, smart, and fun people you could hope to work with."

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunity to work directly across multiple projects and disciplines to gain a great deal of experience; an often challenging, but also often fun environment with a great group of people; the updated office space was much needed and looks really sharp.

ConsLike any agency, the environment can sometimes be tough with short timelines and tempers; could use a better ratio of indians to chiefs to enhance efficiencies

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

High-tension, hostile environment, no leadership

Anonymous (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat location and brand new office space. Smart, talented employees although often restricted.

ConsLong work days and low compensation. Management takes the "my way or the highway approach". Horrible communication throughout the office. Management tends to take credit for others work.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to be transparent with employees. Give credit where it is due.

Hostile environment

Strategy (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat location. Other than that, nothing to add.

ConsLack of innovation, has not kept pace with the advertising market, extremely unpleasant and hostile work environment, high turn over.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Never Again

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsFantastic creatives, exciting projects. The technology is there (they all use macs), but application is missing.

ConsToo many hours, belittling bosses, no accountability for upper management. Poor use of company time. Too many in upper management are completely unqualified for the positions they hold.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company owner, Mr. Kniffen, would do well to actually be present in the corporate environment rather than locked away in his office. He is completely inaccessible to employees and refuses to listen when they can finally get in his office. He fully backs the managers without considering that they may be the issue.

The Point Group Dallas, TX

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsAt the point group you get hands on experience. Also, friendly co-workers

ConsLack of organization
    Career future unclear

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency with employees

Waste of time and gas

Marketing Intern (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsBecause the company was small I could get hands on experience with clients and projects

ConsMostly answered phones and acted as an assistant
    Didn't get much marketing experience
    B2B marketing
    Organization and scheduling

Advice to Senior ManagementORGANIZATION

Walking on eggshells

Account Management (Former Employee)

ProsLower level associates were a pleasure to work with and were always friendly. It's a small agency, so you get the chance to wear a lot of hats.

ConsThere are too many chiefs and not enough indians. The general command structure lacks communication, and upper level often scapegoated lower level employees in front of clients so that they could avoid embarrassment. There isn't much room to grow. If you want to feel like you're hard work is appreciated, this place is not for you. Credit is rarely given, and upper level employees will take the credit of lower level staff. Generally hostile work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to communicate and enforce a positive morale in the workplace. You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

If a friend told me they were going to work there, I'd tell them don't do it.

Account Supervisor (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsI worked with some great, talented people.

ConsCertain people in leadership are very difficult to work with/for.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a hard look at your reputation in the marketplace and look realistically at why that's the case.

A dysfunctional workplace that still managed to teach me a lot about advertising, with good and bad examples.

Copywriter (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe "many chiefs, few indians" authority structure allowed me to work heavily with a wide variety of clients. Some high profile, some not.
    Poor creative direction and feedback mechanisms forced me to produce a lot of work and push myself beyond the obvious, which is beneficial, even if the root cause was unhealthy.
    There are (or were) some talented, fun people working there.

ConsNo-risks mentality precluded any genuine creative innovation or surprising ad work.
    Stale management culture led to wordy creative briefs that lacked useful information.
    Poor use of available data. Most "data-based" direction was assumptive.
    Sub-standard benefits.
    I have never been mis- and micro-managed like I was at The Point Group.

Advice to Senior ManagementNurture creativity by giving space for creatives to take risks and be rewarded for pushing the boundaries. Discourage micromanagement. Don't allow major decisions to be made by people with cavernous insecurity complexes. Revamp the entire creative brief methodology, the current system is too cumbersome and engenders bad work.

Fast past, stressful, but some good people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCasual Friday. A lot of the staff are very kind.

ConsHigh turnover. Generally un trusting of employees.

Worked for The Point Group? Contribute to the Community!