The Point Group

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
2.5

David Kniffen

A smaller employee team full of nice, talented, incredible people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at The Point Group full-time

Pros

The work environment is superb. With a primary employee size of about 25 and a physically open workplace atmosphere, it's easy to communicate freely with whomever you need to. The employees themselves are some of the most down-to-earth and enjoyable people I've ever worked with; there's a strong sense of community in the building that's evidenced in particular by weekly happy hours in the kitchen area at the end of the week, where everyone comes together to have a few drinks, socialize, and talk about non-work-related things. The President really knows what she's doing and displays an exceptional managerial prowess with the rest of the PG team while also making herself available to anyone.The rest of the upper management team have their heads in the right places, too, and give the rest of the employees the space they need to excel in their work. The Point Group has recently acquired some new client business and is about to launch their new website, so exciting times are definitely ahead.

Cons

Since the company size is smaller than average, employees get the chance to get involved in several different projects over several different departments, if they so choose. That being said, a natural consequence of this is that sometimes you can get "spread too thin" as an employee, and the workload can get stressful at times. Also, things can get pretty stressful in the workplace when a client deadline is approaching, but that's a common occurrence in any advertising agency.

It might behoove David Kniffen, Sr. to be more present and available in the workplace more often -- the President, VPs, and the rest of the upper management certainly do.

Great hands-on environment with the ability to shape your career

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Dallas, TX

I have been working at The Point Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

TPG offers great potential for employee growth. As a smaller agency, individuals have the potential to develop their own career and establish themselves as a professional. The agency has a great culture and fun work environment, which include company-wide happy hours and celebrations of our successes as an agency.

Cons

Things can sometimes get fast-paced and require all employees to assist- this may require working a little longer or completing some projects at home.

Fast paced

I have been working at The Point Group full-time

Pros

The Point Group has a fast paced and fun environment where everyone can voice their opinions and ideas. Senior management is very helpful and has an open door policy to all. Potential growth is huge at The Point Group due to the opportunity to work on many different projects.

Cons

The office does get tense when there are big projects and deadlines. Like any other agency the work is demanding, but results are always delivered.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Begin Your Marketing Career

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at The Point Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Point is a smaller agency and this allows new grads like myself a unique opportunity to gain broad exposure and experience in multiple disciplines, giving a real understanding for how all of the departments work together hand-in-hand. On top of my standard AE duties, I've gotten the chance to work on projects related to media planning, digital/interactive, creative/design, and PR. It's been a learning experience to say the least!

In addition, our size requires entry level positions to work directly with upper management regularly; this means that the fresh faces get to benefit from the experience of our management team without having to jump through the hoops of typical corporate hierarchy, found in a lot of large companies.

Our team is awesome and we love to have fun with regular office happy hours and parties. We lend ourselves to the old adage, work hard and play hard.

Cons

As with any agency, we try to run a tight ship, so there are times where we feel slightly under-staffed when our workload gets heavy. The team generally does a good job of working through these times, but things can get stressful and long hours are not uncommon when deadlines draw near.

There is a perceived "ceiling" on advancement, as most of the company either falls into upper-management or entry level positions, with not a ton of middle-ground.

Setup clear goals/milestones and establish a timeline for advancement with entry level employees. It would be nice to see a light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak.

Great opportunities for career growth

Current Employee - Account Supervisor  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at The Point Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The Point Group empowers all employees to make meaningful contributions to help clients be successful. While it hasn't always been easy, I have learned a tremendous amount of new skills and honed my strategic abilities. Whether senior staff or right out of college, everyone has a voice at the strategy table. Everyone gets their hands dirty here, including the company president. So if you're entry level, you'll get to do real work right away instead of being relegated to doing one mundane task every day.

Cons

As with most agencies, it's a highly demanding atmosphere. There's always the pressure of meeting client demands and retaining them, but delivering business results takes care of that. Sometimes, we need more people when there's a convergence of too many things to be done at the same time.

Recent group personality exercises were fun and beneficial, so would like to see this continue.

High-tension, hostile environment, no leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX

I worked at The Point Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great location and brand new office space. Smart, talented employees although often restricted.

Cons

Long work days and low compensation. Management takes the "my way or the highway approach". Horrible communication throughout the office. Management tends to take credit for others work.

Don't be afraid to be transparent with employees. Give credit where it is due.

"Some of the best, smart, and fun people you could hope to work with."

I worked at The Point Group

Pros

Opportunity to work directly across multiple projects and disciplines to gain a great deal of experience; an often challenging, but also often fun environment with a great group of people; the updated office space was much needed and looks really sharp.

Cons

Like any agency, the environment can sometimes be tough with short timelines and tempers; could use a better ratio of indians to chiefs to enhance efficiencies

Hostile environment

Former Employee - Strategy  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Strategy in Dallas, TX

I worked at The Point Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great location. Other than that, nothing to add.

Cons

Lack of innovation, has not kept pace with the advertising market, extremely unpleasant and hostile work environment, high turn over.

Never Again

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at The Point Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fantastic creatives, exciting projects. The technology is there (they all use macs), but application is missing.

Cons

Too many hours, belittling bosses, no accountability for upper management. Poor use of company time. Too many in upper management are completely unqualified for the positions they hold.

The company owner, Mr. Kniffen, would do well to actually be present in the corporate environment rather than locked away in his office. He is completely inaccessible to employees and refuses to listen when they can finally get in his office. He fully backs the managers without considering that they may be the issue.

The Point Group Dallas, TX

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at The Point Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

At the point group you get hands on experience. Also, friendly co-workers

Cons

Lack of organization
    Career future unclear

More transparency with employees

Worked for The Point Group? Contribute to the Community!