The Post and Courier Reviews

Great job!

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Charleston, SC

I worked at The Post and Courier full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Treat you like family and really care about your success

Cons

Not clear on communication when new products come along

Listen to the reps

The Salisbury Post HAS been a great publication it's whole life but...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Salisbury, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salisbury, NC

I worked at The Post and Courier full-time for more than a year

Pros

When I was there the staff was larger. As with many publications, layoffs and not filling open positions have plagued this one too. I left with nothing but good feelings, management has since changed so I couldn't speak for how things are now.

Cons

Mostly just that they laid off all but maybe one of their photographers over the years and now rely too much on reporters for their photos.

None other than the negative aspects above.

Putting themselves out of business

I have been working at The Post and Courier as a contractor for more than 8 years

Pros

The hours help with children at home

Cons

The management has no idea about customer service

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loved working for the company.T

Former Employee - Advertising Sales  in  Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Advertising Sales in Charleston, SC

I worked at The Post and Courier

Pros

The company is always looking for people that are motivated to learn to do more than one job at a time.

Cons

This industry has changed because people are reading the paper on line. They have been able to get the job done with far less people.

Felt underpaid and disrespected as a woman, management does not recognize and utilize talent.

Former Employee - Mid-level Editor  in  Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Mid-level Editor in Charleston, SC

I worked at The Post and Courier

Pros

The benefits are decent (health insurance, 401K). If you want to work for a daily newspaper in Charleston, it's your choice. There are some wonderful people to work with there outside of most management (support roles, some departments are run better than others). There's a cafe with somewhat edible food!

Cons

Management is terribly misguided. They are more interested in "yes people" than those who have talent and capabilities. Also, many layoffs recently have left a shoestring staff to try and run not only The Post and Courier but the many other papers it owns/supports across the state. Vacation is just 10 days for the first 5 years of employment (I tried to negotiate this but was told it could not be). I also tried to negotiate a ridiculously low starting salary but was unable to get a budge; and after several years of employment including promotions, I left there making barely more than when I started.

Listen to employees and stop rewarding those who are incompetent just because they do as they are told and don't make waves. Good management is hard to find there, and the mantra "just be happy you have a job" is repeated far too often. If management treated employees with more respect (i.e., sharing information, treating employees as equals, making employees feel valued), the company would have a better chance of surviving in today's difficult world of newspaper publishing. I never met Pierre, and I don't know how much influence he actually has in day-to-day operations.

Great place to work if you like stress

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at The Post and Courier

Pros

It is a fun atmosphere, with great people. The pay is competitive.

Cons

It is stressful, and days off have to be approved. They often aren't if it is holiday time and you haven't been there 20 years. Money is the name of the game, and it is always a game of what have you done for me lately. If you have met your goals for the past year but have a few off months, you are in the hot seat and could be out of a job.

Sr. Management is as under the gun as everyone else is and it trickles down to us all.

Family-owned newspaper company that takes care of its employees.

I have been working at The Post and Courier

Pros

Family-owned, gives bonuses when it can, survived recession by re-investing not slashing staff levels.

Cons

Typical newspaper life and hours

The Post and Courier Sales Department is poorly managed

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at The Post and Courier

Pros

Charleston is beautiful and a great place to raise a family, good schools
    Post and Courier has good health insurance
    The people are friendly but stressed
    Nice downtown location, easily accessible

Cons

Sales people are budgeted extremely high, most can't acheive ther budgets and can't pay their bills.
    If account executives do acheive bugets, management doesn't pay increased percentages as promised.
    Morale is at an all time low in Sales Department due to poor management and declining revenue.
    95% of sales force is searching for other employment.

It would be wise to communicate with your sales people, lower budgets or put a cap on month to month increases. Upper management should consider making serious changes in management before its too late.

Worked for The Post and Courier? Contribute to the Community!