The Power Company Reviews

Randall Letcavage

1. I love my job

Current Employee - Energy Advisor Manager
    Current Employee - Energy Advisor Manager

I have been working at The Power Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You set the pace on how much money you want to earn Morning meeting and one on one Positive office present Commission is beyond fair Nice uniform

Cons

I have no cons for this job it is for self driven individuals who want to make money

Crafty salesmen become crafty recruiters at the Power Company

Former Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL

Pros

You get vitamin-D being outside all day. If you lie, manipulate, and say you are from ComEd and need to see the bill (though you're not ComEd), you could land some deals and make money.

Cons

You could work your hardest trying to implement all the training, advice, and various pitches they provide and still make no money after a long 10-hour day. They will flash big $1,600/week checks during your interview to get you to work for them, yet I never made over $150 in the first 30 hours of working for them. Observe how pretty much anyone off the streets gets an interview with them; they're desperate for employees and have mastered the art of "selling" how much you can make with them, yet your 10-hour day will go by with maybe one to two deals (around $20-$85). Once you go door-to-door, you can visit about 60 houses and get doors slammed on you from all but the vacant homes. If you get deals, they tend to happen around 6-7pm, after you've wasted 8 hours working door-to-door with no deals. Honestly, I advise people who need a job to keep looking unless you think you can convince tired, cranky, uninterested homes into showing you their utility bill.

Advice to Management

Be honest about the reality of the job during the interview. If the interviewer asks how many homes are visited in a day and how many sign up, don't lie to them by saying that some agents get 8 out of 8 houses. It's okay to say that they can visit 100 homes in a day with no deals. It saves them the time experiencing the very thing they inquire about and saves you the time filling out their paperwork and terminating them once they discover the truth and quit.

3. Great staff

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Power Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really good management. People that care for you and want you to succeed.

Cons

I enjoy my job and don't have anything negative to say.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work and motivating everyone to improve.

5. Solid Company with Upside

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Power Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lucrative pay schedule Everyone uses energy, therefore, prospects are limitless. Positive and nurturing management

Cons

There is competition Have to be persistent

Advice to Management

Have a benefits package

6. Great opportunity in a fast growing business.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Power Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity to develop skills and progress TPC provides training and offers career paths There is opportunity to learn new skills and become a qualified expert in the industry There is opportunity to offer new ideas towards business development and interact with senior management There is opportunity to be a self-starter and/or part of team initiatives Professionals of various backgrounds looking for a career change can excel at TPC

Cons

Because of the rapid growth of the business and success in sales teams, there is a misconception that this company is a multi-level marketing company. The Power Company is a professional energy consulting firm. They serve residential and commercial customers, but there is not a downline of sales people and the compensation is lucrative and fair.

Entry level

Pros

You can go eat at Pizza Nova on Friday with your team for free.

Cons

The Job is based off comission you have to go door to door get signatures and call in to verify information to get paid.

Just another disappointing place to work as an energy consultant/advisor.

Former Employee - Energy Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Energy Advisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Power Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- About the only pro I can give this company is that the training (when I was there) leads one to believe you are entering a very structured environment with plenty of opportunity. - The office they were/are in is a nice loft space right in the heart of the River North area. - If you get a sale, and the customer actually doesn't cancel (therein lies the trick), you will be paid.

Cons

- I literally gave these guys 3-4 different chances to keep me with the company and each time I came back there was a completely different set of faces in the office with the exception of the administrative staff. - It's strictly commission but I knew that coming in. The problem is there is no leadership or direction as to what areas of the city and suburbs the teams go out to. More times than not they are hitting the same areas with increasingly poor results which adds to the employee churn rate. - With the city and most suburbs already switching to aggregation, plus the occasional news story telling consumers not to sign up with these door to door reps, it's practically pointless to take this job on the residential side. Management (and I use that term as loosely as one can use it) has no idea how to map out or manage a territory and it shows in the sales numbers. - If you don't catch fire early and close a lot of deals, expect to be ignored. There is no useful coaching here other than, "come on, you gotta do better than that, there is tons of money waiting to be made out there!". - Unless you are focusing on business customers, your chances of making a living with this company are slim to none. At least with business customers you have more control over your schedule, where you go, etc, but you'll still need to deal with the people in the office from time to time. I left and came back to this company at least three times and each time I just felt it in my gut that it was not the place to be. Like most sales jobs, they could not possibly care less about you unless you are selling. This line of work is not for everyone and in some environments even a mediocre sales person can make it work but not with these guys.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you're doing, how you're doing it. You'll eventually fold like the rest of the energy brokers that have come and go in Chicago.

9. Great place to work!!

Pros

This position is not for everyone, which I see as a plus. If you work hard, and maintain a positive attitude, you WILL make more money than you co-workers. The office consists almost exclusively with competitive employees that will drive you to be better at your job. The training is awesome because you will be learning from individuals who have "been there / done that". And your trainer will legitimately want you to succeed. The atmosphere of the office (when you're there) is amazing. I have never had as much fun working somewhere. Nor has any other company that I've worked for pushed me to become a better person. This was definitely an experience that I learned from.

Cons

This is residential and business to business sales, depending on which job you get. You will be knocking on people's doors or walking into businesses, this business can be very rewarding if you are comfortable speaking to people face to face. If you are not, then this probably is not the job for you.

10. Everyone there is so friendly.

Pros

Everyone is nice, and very helpful. So can make a lot of money.

Cons

is commission based. so, you need to get signatures, or you don't get paid.

Run the other way

Former Employee - Entry Level Sales Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Entry Level Sales Advisor in Chicago, IL

Pros

Nothing, if you like being lied to then this is the company for you

Cons

This is a pyramid scheme. I worked there for 1 month, when I got hired I was promised $1K per week, I made a total of $280 in 4 weeks. When I went to file for unemployment I was told that I do not qualify because I was a Contractor, that was a surprise to me as well

Advice to Management

Stop lying to your employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed