The Private Bank Reviews

Great Summer Internship Program

Former Employee - Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Private Bank as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Exposure to one area of the bank, however, weekly meetings with all of the other interns in the other areas for a broad spectrum on the bank. Opportunity to become involved as a team member and participate in projects that will help the area and other areas as well.

Cons

Changes are coming with time and they are working on them, the departments just need more time to get 100% adapted.

Have more protocol on certain procedures.

It pays the bills.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomfield Hills, MI

I have been working at The Private Bank full-time

Pros

Time off policy is great and I love knowing I will never have to work on the weekend or a holiday. You get your paycheck.

Cons

Not being in Chicago where the main offices are located, communication and training are poor. There is little to no room for advancement. Benefits are only so so.

Nice place to work if you're a commercial relationship manager; less so if you work in the back office.

Current Employee - Managing Director  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Managing Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Private Bank full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work life balance. Bank is small enough that you have regular exposure to senior management.

Cons

Management plays favorites and discourages out of the box thinking. Lots of lip service paid to career development, but it's all about stock price. HR is a total joke.

Consider more substantial investments in back office. Try rewarding others besides arrogant business bankers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I had a great time as an intern. Great people working there.

Former Employee - Loan Administration Specialist  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Loan Administration Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Private Bank as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The people there are top-notch, and the camaraderie at within the bank is the best I have seen.

Cons

Because their name is not totally out there, it can be difficult to find out about it.

Become more loose with restrictions on your top people. Trust them to do what is best for the company more.

Summer student internship with The Private Bank

I have been working at The Private Bank

Pros

Good hourly pay for a summer intern, got a lot of responsibilities, worked on my own personal projects, met and networked with other interns, great resume builder

Cons

At times the projects were busy work involving data entry

They think they are a good bank

Current Employee - Associate Managing Director  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Managing Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Private Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice office, pay is great

Cons

Management has no clue. Wealth Management group has never been profitable because management cant figure it out. The head of the wealth group only keeps her job because the old boys club needs to have a woman manager. Larry and his LaSalle crew thought they would come in and raise the stock price then cash out, but due to their poor management the stock is still around $15. Not sure why the shareholders allow this to continue.

Resign

Good middle market bank

I worked at The Private Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good career prospects, good exposure to management.

Cons

Culture and operations are stuck in the 90s

Forget about La Salle.

You need to be there at the right place and the right time

I worked at The Private Bank

Pros

Compensation is getting better, fast paced environment, always challenges, Never bored. Family atmosphere at the branch offices.

Cons

I worked with a global consulting firm, brought in for an enterprise project, and the lead consultant told me that she had never been to a place that had "so many meetings". There are layers upon layers of management, Middle Management and Associates are not given tools to make decisions on the operations side. "The Process" is designed to insulate senior management.

Cut the management fat. Senior Lenders who were moved to operational roles when the economy tanked need to revert back to ther old roles. Risk Managers brought in to appease shareholders and private capital during the banking crisis need to be pared down.

Poor management, resistant to change, lack of proper resources, and bad overall employee morale

I worked at The Private Bank

Pros

Compensation was decent and the competitive nature made for an exciting place to work initially. My boss was generous with time off and I was able to gain exposure to some underwriting and credit training.

Cons

My boss created hostility within other departments by sticking his nose in their business and trying to make their problems his own. We were assigned special projects that never were finished and received little to no direction while in process, and then were criticized when they weren't done the way he wanted. Was micromanaged on a regular basis and had to track all of our activities in meaningless spreadsheet that was merely glanced at whenever my boss decided he had time to kill.

Stop hiring outside kids who are fresh out of college as Credit Analysts and begin to promote your existing employees who wish to better themselves. Also, there is a poor amount of regulation and policies within the bank. Compliance and Internal Audit are important departments to any organization, but are disregarded and treated as second class citizens at this bank.

This place is fool of great people and a very professional environment.

Former Employee - Teller I  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Teller I in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Private Bank

Pros

You can move up very quickly.

Cons

It is very demanding and long hours at times.

Give employees more freedom to think of ways to change how the culture is within the company.

Worked for The Private Bank? Contribute to the Community!