The Provident Bank

Add Photos

Christopher Martin

great work place

Call Center Agent (Current Employee) Iselin, NJ

Proswork life balance is great , great hours and great people to work with .love the atmosphere love my job period

Constraining needs to be a bit more organized but nothing else wrong overall great work enviornment. schedules are a month in advance

Meet your sales goal! or Else!

Teller/Platform (Former Employee) Dunellen, NJ

ProsThe customers and employees are good people(for the most part), 401k and stock sharing

ConsNo advancement, absurd sales goals with very little actual sales training. Really the only thing they care about is making that specific number using a made up credit system. They are very strict in paying out their made up credits, constantly cheating employees out of sales because of a silly referral system. Saw many talented people get fired or leave the company simply because of sales, disregarding every other aspect of their job. No bonuses (unless you count 1 $5 lottery ticket given to the whole branch from the president at Xmas)

Advice to Senior Managementget rid of the referral system and go back to customers first mentality. Customer service is what keeps customers happy, the sales will come when the customers are happy.

Work here if you want to be harassed, stressed out and never promoted.

(Former Employee)

ProsNo taking work home, set hours, decent benefits, system in place to ensure you get a 5 day vacation

ConsThe only focus they have is on sales goals. They want you to basically harass the customer every time they come into the branch to subscribe to one of the products. No upward mobility whatsoever. Horrible management who are painfully out of touch with reality. They also want you to stand in an EMPTY lobby to try to get people to open new accounts. Threats of termination almost daily. Training biased towards those in the corporate office not branch employees. You can be the most effective, kind, customer service oriented employee but if you don't make your sales goals you're gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe system is broken. Stop with the outrageous sales goals. Managers are incompetent and out of touch with reality. How high does the turn over rate have to get (and it's already high) before someone realizes that customer service should come before aggressive sales.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"Obsessed with sales goals, not with people."

Teller (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits and pay were competitive. Lots of different training is offered....if they can spare a teller in an understaffed branch.

ConsThe company is obsessed with sales goals. You could be the best teller in the whole company. No differences every member loves you. You will be threatened with termination daily if you don't make your sales goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmphasize customer service over sales. The sales will come when you have a content staff that aren't scared for their job everyday.

Small Bank struggling to fit in today's financial industry

Manager (Former Employee) Iselin, NJ

ProsAbility to take on responsibility which enables you to build the skills needed in the financial industry.

ConsYour hard work is not accounted or accredited for. Bonus is given only to back office employees. Career Advancement is basically nonexistent if you're a branch employee. Promotion is based on tenure not performance. A typical employee of Provident Bank resembles a kindergarten teacher. The bank lacks innovative thinking, wouldn't be surprise if a outside bank merges with Provident to build a NJ presence. The bank is pretty much nostalgic focusing on the past not the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house with Upper Management put ambitious college educated employees in the position to make critical decisions.

This very stable community bank provides tremendous opportunity to learn, with little room for career advancement.

Lending (Former Employee) Iselin, NJ

ProsStable, intelligent pedigree. Employees are asked to do more with less, so the opportunity to learn is incredible. Conservative policies have allowed for 180 year lineage.

ConsLack of upward mobility. It takes a lot to move up due to the length of time most executives stay in their position. It's almost stability to a fault. Employee growth gets stunted, and fresh ideas do as well. Many are doing the same job for life. Too many stars leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on identifying and keeping stars. If there is no clear path up the corporate ladder due to legacy execs from a decades old merger, move the energetic and interested employees sideways or diagonally. Focus on keeping your best talent who bring a solid bank into the next millennium, instead of protecting the legacies with old school banking work ethics.

Healthy culture, good people.

SBA Intern (Former Employee) Iselin, NJ

ProsLaid back work environment, with a lot of great employees.

ConsNo offices in major cities.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work and the exiting deal flow in the SBA department, small businesses are the backbone of America.

Ok place to work

ProsGood training and ok benefits

ConsVery hard to move up in the bank

Not worth it.

Teller (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly co-workers with flexible hours and good starting pay.

ConsTraining is awful and is just about non existent. For anyone new to banking its the worst place to begin your career. Management is clueless when it comes to the computer system and will never help you out if you have questions or need help. There is hardly ever any way to advance your career. With a limited amount of locations, promotions are just something that doesn't happen. I would never recommend this bank to anyone looking for a banking. job.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your employees.
    Train yourself.

Great Place to work

Teller (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsGreat people, okay salary, learned a lot

ConsSalary, work life balance, culture

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at salaries.

Worked for The Provident Bank? Contribute to the Community!