The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County

CEO

1. Great place to work

Former Employee - Lsa in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Lsa in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, good benefits, lots of room to move within organization

Cons

Lack if funding has caused several internal and external hiring freeze

2. Page/Shelver

Current Employee - Page
    Current Employee - Page

I have been working at The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Abundant Vacation and Sick time, even for part-time employees
    Friendly coworkers
    Fairly low-stress work environment

Cons

Lower wages (though I suspect to offset paid time off)
    Disconnect between administration and public workers

Advice to Management

Issue employee satisfaction surveys. Even if you don't do anything with the results, you at least have the facade of listening to the people your decisions impact. And you just may get some good ideas.
    You can choose agency values, but stop trying to redefine words to further your agenda. It's insulting, especially to people who work among books.

3. Security Officer/Operator

Current Employee - Loss Prevention in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great professional development and continuing education possibilities. Great people. Dynamic environment.

Cons

Pay. Disconnect between administration and management/employees.

Advice to Management

Retention of good people costs a little but does pay off in the long term.

5. Oakley branch library is such a wonderful branch. I was there for 4 years and loved every minute of it.

I worked at The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County

Pros

As a volunteer and as a student shelver, my hours were always flexible. The job is not too difficult overall, but you have to work hard to get everything done and know how to deal with unfriendly patrons. Overall, the staff and patrons at the Oakley branch are great.

Cons

I do not feel there are any cons for the Oakley branch.

Advice to Management

There is a disconnect between the branches and downtown that could be minimized.

6. Checkered willingness to grow and change; long-term career possibilities; frequent promotions from within.

Former Employee - Held Several Positions in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Held Several Positions in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay's decent. Libraries are important. This giant organization divides into small branch/department units that internally work together, fairly productively.

Cons

Sometimes communication's difficult between - if not within- branches and departments.. Lots of agendas. Not enough outside support or goal consistency.

Advice to Management

Listen to people at the bottom. Literally walk in the shoes of branches and departments. You're not always in touch.

7. Great part-time job experience

Former Employee - Student Shelver in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Student Shelver in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Flexible schedule, helpful and respectful co-workers, great overall work environment

Cons

At the downtown branch, shelvers were made to count individual materials that they shelved. Seemed to slow down the shelving process and decreased efficiency.

Advice to Management

No specific advice. Really enjoyed my experience at the library.

8. Not good, but not bad

Former Employee - Shelver in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Shelver in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

The library has good pay (it is higher than minimum wage by about a dollar), easy work, and schedule variability

Cons

The library branch I was at specifically had rude coworkers, supervisors gossip about customers and employees, and minimal allowed hours.

Advice to Management

I'd only recommend it to someone for the pay.

9. Enjoyed working at the Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County

Former Employee - Library Services Assistant in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Great part time job working with dedicated people who really love what they do and who they worked for. Great learning experience.

Cons

Compensation is not the best.

10. Great Institution, but a disconnect between service staff & management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are a lot of talented people who work in the system from all types of backgrounds. A wealth of knowledge is floating around! The variety of information & resources (print, digital, etc.) grows every year.

Cons

Having worked in several roles, I noticed the division between service staff and upper management. In cases where front-line staff will have to know key info to accurately inform the public, in some cases we're the last ones to know. There is definitely a disconnect with the front-line and management, which causes frustration among staff.

Advice to Management

Effectively communicate with the service staff, as they are the face of the library.

11. Really Enjoyed My Time at PLCH

Former Employee - Library Services Assistant in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great part time job through high school and college. Paid sick time, paid vacation, and extra hours were always available throughout the 40+ branch system. My particular branch was full of great, dedicated people who really loved what they did and who they worked for.

Cons

There was a strange disconnect between those who worked at the Main Library downtown and those who worked at the branches. It was like two different worlds that didn't see eye to eye on anything.

Advice to Management

Finding a way to bridge that gap between Main and the branches would help improve relations and morale among the staff.