The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County

4.0

CEO

Exactly what I wanted.

I have been working at The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County

Pros

Dependable employment, great people, always changing, possibolies and support to continue growth and advance.

Cons

Sometimes the administration is out of touch with day to day needs.

Listen to the professionals working for you on their areas of expertise.

Checkered willingness to grow and change; long-term career possibilities; frequent promotions from within.

Former Employee - Held Several Positions in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Held Several Positions in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay's decent. Libraries are important. This giant organization divides into small branch/department units that internally work together, fairly productively.

Cons

Sometimes communication's difficult between - if not within- branches and departments.. Lots of agendas. Not enough outside support or goal consistency.

Listen to people at the bottom. Literally walk in the shoes of branches and departments. You're not always in touch.

Great part-time job experience

Former Employee - Student Shelver in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Student Shelver in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, helpful and respectful co-workers, great overall work environment

Cons

At the downtown branch, shelvers were made to count individual materials that they shelved. Seemed to slow down the shelving process and decreased efficiency.

No specific advice. Really enjoyed my experience at the library.

The best job in the Cincinnati Area!

Current Employee - Library Assistant in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Library Assistant in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I love working for the public library! I was a volunteer for 7 years and finally decided it was for me to work there. The best experience ever! Great staff, close to home, connection with patrons, and unlimited opportunities. A lot of training to help you grow.

Cons

No cons at all. I think this is a great job for anyone at any age. Some may complain about the pay.

Keep up your great work!

Not good, but not bad

Former Employee - Shelver in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Shelver in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

The library has good pay (it is higher than minimum wage by about a dollar), easy work, and schedule variability

Cons

The library branch I was at specifically had rude coworkers, supervisors gossip about customers and employees, and minimal allowed hours.

I'd only recommend it to someone for the pay.

Enjoyed working at the Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County

Former Employee - Library Services Assistant in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Great part time job working with dedicated people who really love what they do and who they worked for. Great learning experience.

Cons

Compensation is not the best.

Great Institution, but a disconnect between service staff & management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are a lot of talented people who work in the system from all types of backgrounds. A wealth of knowledge is floating around! The variety of information & resources (print, digital, etc.) grows every year.

Cons

Having worked in several roles, I noticed the division between service staff and upper management. In cases where front-line staff will have to know key info to accurately inform the public, in some cases we're the last ones to know. There is definitely a disconnect with the front-line and management, which causes frustration among staff.

Effectively communicate with the service staff, as they are the face of the library.

Really Enjoyed My Time at PLCH

Former Employee - Library Services Assistant in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A great part time job through high school and college. Paid sick time, paid vacation, and extra hours were always available throughout the 40+ branch system. My particular branch was full of great, dedicated people who really loved what they did and who they worked for.

Cons

There was a strange disconnect between those who worked at the Main Library downtown and those who worked at the branches. It was like two different worlds that didn't see eye to eye on anything.

Finding a way to bridge that gap between Main and the branches would help improve relations and morale among the staff.

The knowledge learned from the people and environment makes up for the public level compensation.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County

Pros

I loved who I worked with and the discussions we had during our lunch breaks. They always had a lot of interesting cross-disciplinary information to share. Information and resources were readily available. There was always friendly and collaborative staff along with a high level of team integration. I was always given independence and freedom to learn material on own and was encouraged to lead my own projects.

Cons

You are at the mercy of tax payer dollars, and the levies are a constant stress.

A great learning experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, OH

I worked at The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County

Pros

It was steady work as well as interesting people to work with. It made the time pass. It was great pay for a high school job.

Cons

It could be quite boring sometimes as putting books away can be quite tedious to a degree. Sometimes there was a shortage of hours.

I believe the dress code to be somewhat strict for being a public entity. I do understand the hardship of a declining budget.

Work at The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County? Share Your Experiences

The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County