The Resort at Pelican Hill

The Resort at Pelican Hill Reviews

Updated Jan 16, 2014

The Resort at Pelican Hill President Ralph Grippo

Ralph Grippo

Great reputation, doesn't live up to expectations

I have been working at The Resort at Pelican Hill

ProsIt is a fun work environment.

Consno room to grow a career

Advice to Senior Managementno drama.

Great Experience & People

Hospitality Services (Former Employee)
Newport Coast, CA

I worked at The Resort at Pelican Hill full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSurrounded by friendly happy over-qualified employees.

ConsCan at times be understaffed making it challenging to maintain the high standards desired.

Advice to Senior ManagementProactively find ways to use the specific strengths of each individual and work more on improvement goals that are department specific but property wide.

Great place to work!

I have been working at The Resort at Pelican Hill

ProsNo micro-management
Routine but perfection is expected
Great Staff
Plenty of OT to be had
Gratuity is good

ConsManagement is a geared towards numbers more than anything
Manager turnover is high
Long hours
People may be difficult

Advice to Senior Managementif you treat your employees half as well as you treat your guests they'd work a lot harder and with more enthusiasm.

Great Property bad reputation

Front Desk Agent (Current Employee)
Newport Coast, CA

I have been working at The Resort at Pelican Hill full-time for less than a year

ProsBeautiful Resort and fantastic views.

ConsTerribly Micromanaged, no proper training and no employees skills assessment.
I honestly don't understand how they managed to get #1 on Conde'.
I had the impression that the Resort is managed day by day except certain departments such as Revenue and reservations were programming is a must.
Employees who been there for too long are not keen to embrace changes and this will continue on the negative path .

Advice to Senior ManagementHR, aren't doing enough or they did not manage to speak loudly so the top management react correctly in order to improve.
Top Management, most of your department managers have no experience in Luxury hotels/ resorts, is mediocrity your real target? It seems so.
P.S The 2 days orientation were fantastic but after a week, I've immediately noticed that was only bubbles.

Good for entry level but very micromanaged and difficult to advance.

I have been working at The Resort at Pelican Hill full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBeautiful location and for that reason a great place to go to work every day. Coworkers are friendly and easy to get along with. Pay is decent relative to the same job at other locations.

ConsExtremely micromanaged. Very difficult to have your voice heard and therefore tough to stand out. Employees are very under appreciated. In an environment where a high level of customer service is expected, employees are not given enough decision making ability to resolve any issues that arise. Pass the buck mentality is encouraged - rather than accepting blame for issues as a whole resort there is a divisive attitude among not only individuals within a department, where everyone just tries to avoid blame, therefore people generally do not go the extra mile for the customer because they just try not to be noticed so they can go home for the day. Same attitude exists between departments. Blame for any misstep is always trying to be put on someone else and leads to very poor employee morale.

Ehh

Server (Former Employee)

I worked at The Resort at Pelican Hill part-time for more than a year

ProsYou don't have to do your own laundry, you just show up and they have it ready and ironed for you; you can eat free food at the cafeteria if you're into that kind of food; it looks good on a resume.

ConsI worked at the coliseum: Bad management, too military-like, if you work at that restauraunt you feel like NOTHING to the company, long sleeve button up/tie/slacks in the HOT summer sun working 7 days a week and overtime, the normal shift hours were NOT normal, they were 8 hour shifts and so on.....

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employes at the coliseum with more respect and gratefulness because we worked harrrrd long hours out in the hot sun 7 days a week during summer

Worked for The Resort at Pelican Hill? Contribute to the Community!

The Resort at Pelican Hill Videos

The Resort at Pelican Hill – Why Work for Us?

About The Resort at Pelican Hill®​​​​ We ​welcomed our first guests on November 26, 2008, and immediately began an ascent to becoming one of the world’s finest destination resorts. ​Situated gracefully over 504 acres… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Resort at Pelican Hill reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Resort at Pelican Hill CEO Ralph Grippo. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by The Resort at Pelican Hill employees.