The Resort at Pelican Hill

Ralph Grippo

1. Featured Review

Great resort

I have been working at The Resort at Pelican Hill full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Management has great experience so there is a lot you can learn to further your career in hospitality. The resort has a great reputation so you get to work at the top resort in the country. Great benefits for full time positions. Opportunities for advancement. Free meals with each shift plus they provide the uniforms and dry cleaning.

Cons

Although there have been past issues with management, they have recently made great improvements and there are new managers in place who are committed to making it a great place to work.

Server

I have been working at The Resort at Pelican Hill

Pros

There is opportunity for growth and many people to connect with.

Cons

Hours can be long during the busy season.

Server

I worked at The Resort at Pelican Hill

Pros

It was a friendly work environment

Cons

Long hours standing on your feet and serving shifts were double what is normal in the industry and not paid enough for the work you had to do.

Spa Receptionist

Former Employee - SPA Receptionist in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - SPA Receptionist in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at The Resort at Pelican Hill full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working in the Spa was a beautiful atmosphere, calm and serene. The staff was kind to each other and the managers at that time were very nice to work for.

Cons

Low hourly salary, no training, high turn over of staff, no opportunity for advancement. Upper management non supportive of the Spa Managers and the Spa Employees or the need to supply the Spa with the necessary tools and/or materials for the staff to provide a Five Star Spa experience to its' guests.

See "Cons"

Overall, a great experience.

I worked at The Resort at Pelican Hill part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked in the spa, so beautiful and luxurious. The pay was good, minimum wage w/commission & gratuity, uniform and a daily meal, also 401K after a certain amount of time. I loved the peacefulness of the spa, the amazing co-workers and the superior products we had to work with. Overall great company, great perks, and yes I would recommend this company.

Cons

No benefits for on call employees. No holiday pay, sick, or vacation.

Have more round table discussions with the staff from each area of the spa, from front desk, nails, massage, estheticians, spa attendants, not everyone has complaints, some also have good money saving ideas, How about taking one of the treadmills out of the fitness room and finding an area backstage for the employees to use.

Professional People, High Standards, Nice Perks

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Coast, CA

I have been working at The Resort at Pelican Hill full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a top Resort where the staff is trained to serve guests professionally to the highest Five Star standards set by Forbes. There is a big focus on training to exceed the standards. If you are on the hospitality career path, it's a great place to grow and even move up if the right opportunity comes along. They focus on promoting within and opportunities to transfer between departments if you want more experience in a different area. Working here for several years, I've seen many hourly employees get promoted into management positions.

Pelican Hill offers competitive benefits and perks. They recently started offering employee rates for other hotel properties owned by Irvine Company Resorts. There are also golf, spa and dining discounts. The executives do a lot of employee recognition, like the employees of the quarter events and annual employee party. There's a talent show every year, too. It's very common in hotels, but they also provide lunch in the employee cafeteria every day.

Cons

High turnover, but that's normal in the hospitality industry.

A Little Too Late

I have been working at The Resort at Pelican Hill part-time (more than a year)

Pros

View of the Pacific Ocean, but truly nothing else!!

Cons

The company makes a positive spin but truthfully is has not been a positive experience. For instance, there is no appreciation from the executives or upper management. However, that appreciation only comes one day a year during the so-called appreciation day. Furthermore, the comment that has been brought up regarding safety, sure you say that you care about safety but the training only exists to those who are full-time or managers!! What about the many that are part-time or on-call? What about their training?! Also, there is a sense of wanting things to be perfect so if there are trash or cigarette butts on the floor, the company expects that you pick them up. It makes sense but are protective gloves provided or available, the answer is a frustrating "NO"!!!!!!!

As you can see from some of the less than positive comments regarding this company, my main frustration is the length of time between the comment to a response. Of course there is going to be this sense of wanting to have an open dialogue where one can express their ideas, concerns, and or frustrations. However, the truth of the matter is that the open dialogue does not exist. To the management team, I did leave a message and send an email asking for your feedback and input regarding something. However, the response that I receive was to have a discussion with my immediate manager about it!!! Furthermore, I also received a phone call from my immediate manager on my day-off asking me WHY I did not discuss the issue with them first before reaching out to you!!! Moreover, my intent was to understand the business discussions from up top and understand why certain decisions have been made that affects my work environment and most importantly HOW I could provide a better experience to the guests. Unfortunately, due to the backlash that I received from my manager, I have decided to refrain on providing feedback on how to better provide service to the guests!!! It has been frustrating hearing certain suggestions or requests that the guests would like to see, but because of the treatment that I received when voicing feedback to you the management and the aftermath from my manager, all I can say to the guests is "that sounds great but unfortunately the management team is not willing to try or make those suggestions because of the vision that is currently in place." Though it is disturbing to say and more so to hear, it is the truth and it will take a lot for me to change and want to provide the best to the guests because since the motivation is not there from the management, there is no point in me wanting to provide the best even though I truly want to!!!!!!

Lack of Training

I have been working at The Resort at Pelican Hill part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It started off as a great opportunity and a place to gain experience. However as time moved forward, there was no training provided or support of the training needed to move up.

Cons

There was no added training that was provided; whatever you knew coming into the job is what you have to work with. For instance, you would think that being in California and having minor earthquakes from time to time would prompt an empolyers such as this to train employees for emergencies with life saving knwledge like first aid, CPR, or even something simple as how to use a fire extinguisher. Sadly, none was provided except to those working in security. Furthermore, you would think that those working near the pool would be expected to be trained on some water-safety or life-saving techniques just in case something were to happen, but no, the company does not feel that employees should be trained unless you are a manager. Moreover, the feeling that I received is if a lawsuit was filed against the resort due to negligence, that is the time that the resort would then begin to train its employees properly. Unfortunately, that would be a little too late.

I was disappointed that there was no safety training provide as well as the lack of urgency to ensure that employees are trained and can assist in an emergency. During orientation there was a discussion on how to handle guests who refuse to leave, but there was no further discussion on safety measures such as an AED machine, CPR, and the simplest thing to have around the work station, a first aid kit. During the easter egg hunt and festivities, an elderly lady missed a set of stairs and scraped up her elbow. It didn't seem that bad despite the missing skin and blood. I would expect that a first aid kit had been placed nearby especially when planning an event where someone could be injuried. Unfortunately, there was not a first aid kit and I had watched this lady be in pain for a good 5 minutes before security came with some first aid!!! If I was this lady or a family member I would be extremely upset that it took 5 minutes before I was treated!!! It goes to show that the resort relies too much on security for safety!!! Had there been proper training, I would have imagined that someone would have thought to place a first aid kit nearby and that elderly lady would be treated in seconds instead of minutes waiting for someone!!!!!

The Resort at Pelican Hill Response

Aug 8, 2014Managing Director

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I am surprised to read your comments about lack of training, especially as it pertains to safety. Ongoing training is certainly encouraged, and ... More

Young and growing resort in Newport Beach

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at The Resort at Pelican Hill full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Owned by a great parent company, the Irvine Company, which offers great benefits and valuable experience.

Cons

Tight budgeting and volatile staffing levels/high turnover has huge impact on day to day success of the resort.

Great opportunity for some.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Newport Coast, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Newport Coast, CA

I have been working at The Resort at Pelican Hill full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity working for the Irvine Company.

Cons

Very difficult to move up in certain departments.

The Resort at Pelican Hill Photos