The Resumator Reviews

Updated April 22, 2015
17 reviews filtered by
4.2
Don Charlton

1. Fantastic business experience I couldn't get anywhere but in a start up like Resumator

I have been working at The Resumator full-time

Pros

I really like my career at Resumator. The people are diverse & very nice. I have no regrets choosing to leave a corporate job, because I learned more in a couple years about myself & business working here than in 10 years at a big company. I feel really grateful & really excited for the future. There's lots of talent here and you will never get bored.

Cons

Lots of constant changes, but I would think most companies do. You have to be the right person to deal with them all. There are many moving pieces daily & you have to know it's what you want for you.

Advice to Management

All should show vulnerability & take a break.

2. This place is going down, steer clear.

I have been working at The Resumator

Pros

Thought it was a growing company, and then they do what they did to a whole office of people. The CEO and Founder is running the company into the ground.

Cons

The ship is sinking. The "CEO" isn't running a company, he's burying his head in the sand and looking for scape goats. Well, the latest scape goat is a whole team of people in their "San Francisco" office. Oh yes, they were to blame... The ship is sinking people, it's only a matter of time before you're all his next victims.

Advice to Management

Get your head out of your design work and lead your company. Quit blaming others and nut up.

Great coworkers, mentors, and leadership

I have been working at The Resumator

Pros

Working at The Resumator means working with smart, creative, hard-working people. Even though it's a startup, there are actual "grown ups" working here. (I define "grown ups" as people with bona fide experience in their fields. They are the sort of mentors you can actually learn from to help you grow in your role.) One of the main reasons I accepted the offer to work here is because I trusted in the team. I trust the team because they're seasoned, smart, and able to get stuff done. We're not a company filled with twenty-something VPs, so if that's a draw, this may not be the place for you. However, if you understand that it's the people and their skills/talents that make companies successful, then by all means, join us.

Cons

Perks and benefits are not the best I've ever had, nor are they competitive with most companies, large or small, in the Bay Area. However, the company is still heavy in startup mode, so I hope that perks will improve with the growth and success of the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to build a culture of trust and empowerment. Hire people you believe in, then believe they're as dedicated to the company's success as to their own.

You get out of it what you put into it.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at The Resumator full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Few places care about their employees as sincerely as The Resumator, and few places have the true level of diversity it has, either. It's a real meritocracy. People rely on each other and genuinely care about each other, and there aren't cliques or clubs. Despite success and multiple rounds of funding, the company has grown responsibly, and they bend over backwards to provide as many benefits to the employees as is feasible as the company grows. The product and process are stable and poised well for growth in a very competitive market.

Cons

Not a good place for anyone who wants to coast or doesn't care about their work or the outcome. Not a fit for anyone who is entitled or inflexible. You will be asked to do things outside of your job description – it's still a startup – and the culture is more suited to those who are okay having their work bleed into their lives and vice versa.

Advice to Management

Leadership is actually too slow to fire people. Sometimes they are given too many chances.

The Resumator looks great on a resume. Great Product. Great Team.

I have been working at The Resumator full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’ve never experienced anything quite like it. It’s one of the best classes you could take while getting paid with benefits. The Resumator looks great on a resume. I’m always approached by some big name companies because they see my current employer’s name and the things I do. But, I’m not going anywhere. This company is still rather new and I’ve seen a lot of changes in the last two years. I can’t wait to see where we are headed next. I know I would never want to own a business and deal with the craziness it brings. I feel proud to say I work for The Resumator and all it has to offer – good, bad, funny & nutty. This company isn’t perfect, but you really do see the leaders and teams try to always find ways to re-invent and make it awesome. I actually feel a sense of family and protectiveness for the company. They cast some kind of spell where you just want to be the best at what you do.

Cons

You better play hard, because you are going to work hard for sure. You don’t want to be the weak link. In a small company, it’s hard to just be mediocre and say you are just going to do just enough for a check. You’ll be exposed. Frankly, it irked me working with some folks who tried to skate. So, if you want to just be another employee # where you’ll never see or have opportunities for one on ones with intelligent execs in a company, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Don't burn yourselves out. Smell some roses. No one is perfect and you don't have to be either.

Great people, fun projects, unlimited potential!

Current Employee - Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at The Resumator full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company just received a funding round in August, so there isn't a danger of it folding any time soon. In fact, financials are excellent and getting better every month.

The teams are fun to work with and everyone is smart, so you will be expected to excel. Everyone knows that we are in this together, so we do our best to position individuals for success. This includes helping each other out and a willingness to pick up other's work if necessary.

There isn't a dress code (other than wear some clothes). The office is laid back and the internet is wide open. No one cares if you have to order something on Amazon or if you get on Facebook.

The company allows for a volunteer day once per quarter, you get your birthday off, and 2 hours of time to vote on election days.

Most can work flexible hours, and some can work from home (depending on the department).

Engineering has every Nintendo console ever made and a late afternoon Super Smash Bros. fight is not uncommon.

I could go on and on. So far, this has been one of the best places I have ever worked.

Cons

The company is still trying to develop a common vision. Processes and procedures are lacking but improving.
    Vacation is earned per month at 10 hours/month (for most).
    No 401k match
    Healthcare is a little pricey
    No EAP

Advice to Management

Develop a solid company vision to align the company and enable everyone to push toward a common goal.

A great place to grow and flourish in a startup atmosphere.

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at The Resumator (Less than a year)

Pros

The Resumator has well exceeded my expectations (which were initially set pretty high). Not only is their compensation very competitive, but their leadership has a wonderfully creative perspective on how building a great product can be a lot of fun. I am regularly challenged and I love the people that I work with.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Continue to instill a close-knit start-up culture as the company grows.

Classic work hard play hard

Current Employee - Rather Not Say in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Resumator full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to take lead on projects. If a great idea comes up it doesn't matter who thought of it, it will get done. Not a lot of egos. Compensation is better than industry average. Occasional office doggy.

Cons

We work hard but I just don't see that as a con. Things are getting easier as we get better in the office and our product improves. It would be nice if we could work from home more often. Inconsistent presence of office dog.

Advice to Management

If I had anything that needed to be said and hasn't been said yet, I would bring it up with management instead of on here.

Amazing opportunity to grow. Fantastic Product

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Resumator full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working at the Resumator because we really do have the best product out there, so it feels good to be a part of that. I have so much leeway to create and manage products. We work hard but everyone wants to be here and wants to do their best. Fantastic leadership in the SF office.

Cons

You need to drink your coffee and take your vitamins because we are all working hard and making the product better and better every day.

Advice to Management

Continue pushing us to meet high expectations. Take risks to implement creative ideas from staff.

Incredible Opportunity

I have been working at The Resumator full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Foremost, the opportunity to work with a multitalented product visionary like Don Charlton is a privilege. The company is continuously introspective about the product, and it's truly remarkable how complete it has become. This is a company that recognizes hard work and rewards it with salary raises and promotions. The culture here is very inviting towards candor about your short-term and long-term career goals, and despite how large the company has grown, it's still relatively easy to get 1-on-1 time with an exec. Personally, my professional growth has benefitted tremendously from working here. As for perks, we get a very good health package, 401k (non-matching), one work-from-home day per month, generous paid-time-off, bereavement, and volunteer days, frequent company-paid team-lunches and team/company outings.

Cons

Perhaps not the most eye-popping perks compared to other VC-backed startups, but don't get me wrong: they are still very good and have come a long way since I started. Meetings in the past have sometimes run long, but we've definitely improved on that front. Sometimes, the office can get a bit loud in the sales/support area. Occasionally, you'll be asked to work during off-hours, but hey: that's life at any startup. It has taken us a while to develop sustainable inter-team processes, but we're seeing marked improvement.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Let's avoid becoming a cold, corporate machine as we continue to grow.