The Retirement Group

John Jastremski

Financial/Investment Analyst Intern

Former Employee - Financial/Investment Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Financial/Investment Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at The Retirement Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I was a Financial/Investment Analyst intern at TRG last quarter of 2013. Some of the pros of working at this firm are:
    -Very practical and hands on. As an intern you will not be getting coffee for the higher ups and stapling their paper work. You will work with actual client portfolios, perform cashflow analysis and asset allocation.
    -Develop professional relationships with Brokers and other Associates within the firm.
    -Learn about portfolio management, research and legal document interpretation.
    -Great support from fellow Interns as well as from management.
    -You will take on a role of a Financial Analyst, Research Analyst, Investment Analyst ... etc. extremely diverse an a well rounded program.

I am glad I had a chance to learn and work at The Retirement Group. The knowledge I gained here has opened up a lot of doors for me.

on a side note, all the negative comments are most likely from individuals who do not posses the work ethic required to succeed in this industry.

-Yuriy C

Cons

No real cons. A lot of work, but that's not really a con.... rather an opportunity to learn.

Keep pushing your interns like you have been doing, It creates strong work ethic.

Intern

Former Employee - Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at The Retirement Group part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hands on experience
    Chance to learn the ins and outs of an RIA
    Chance to learn and use institutional software

Cons

Long hours
    You will feel taken advantage of
    Use this place as a springboard - Do NOT stick around too long

Stop engaging with interns on projects that regular staff should handle. Can't base research off intern's hw.

Sam Goerss - ATT Specialist

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at The Retirement Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked as a financial advisor trainee at this firm. I worked very closely with Sam Goerss. He taught me the pension and 401k plans for AT&T employees. I found it very interesting and useful. I have no complaints.

Cons

I didn't like the long hours or the commute. Sometimes I felt overwhelmed. I wished there were more food places close to the office.

Hands On Internship, Fast Paced, Demanding, Happy I Survived!

Former Employee - Financial Analyst Intern in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at The Retirement Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was hired as a "financial analyst" while finishing SDSU. I didn't get to do a lot of "analyst" work like I expected at first, but was instead thrust into many different projects. The pros of the internship were that I was able to work with all different people in the office, from other interns to financial advisors, to trainees and marketing... this was not at all what I expected. I thought I'd be sitting behind a computer all day, assisting a senior analyst on investment portfolios. After some time I was able to help in the financial planning process and work on real client accounts, but I had to earn the chance to do so.

I ended up learned about different aspects of the company and the industry, but certainly had to "pay my dues" (I think) in the very beginning. I started doing research projects and analyzing company benefits before I was able to look at any investment analysis. In the end, I'm very happy I was able to learn more beyond the scope of what I expected, but it was not easy. I've read the other reviews on here and I understand why people have said there is no work/life balance! I'm grateful for the experience I had, but I'm not ready to fully dedicate my self to such a demanding business.

The other "pro" was that I was given a strong standing recommendation to help get my foot in the door somewhere in the future.

Cons

The biggest "con" was that I wasn't fully prepared for what the internship really meant. I worked hard, but there was always more to do. Even when I thought I was done with a project, there would be a next step to complete. I can see how a person might burn out quickly. The people there were supportive, but they expected me to be self-motivated and push myself without constant direction or oversight. At times, I wasn't always sure what to be doing so I had to reach out and ask for help. I would have liked to see a little more structure, but it is a relatively small firm (about 35 people in the corp. office) so I understand why everyone was always busy. I think this would be a great career for the right person who has time to dedicate to it.

Slow down! We students aren't always ready to work at this pace!

Financial Adviser training under Michael Lee

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at The Retirement Group part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Michael showed me the ins and out of the ATT pension plan. Working with him he taught me how to plan according to interest rates and make sure clients get the most benefits possible.

Cons

Office moral is really low from everyone being overwhelmed. No team building excercises. No employee benefits

Make employees happier in order to keep the work place more productive

Financial advisor trainee

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in San Ramon, CA

I worked at The Retirement Group as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

I received a tremendous amount of support and mentorship from Michael Lee who worked as a financial advisor here. He taught me the ins and outs of the AT&T pension Plan. He showed me how knowing these benefits can bring value to clients.

Cons

The amount of time required at this company is immense. Taking time off is very frowned upon. The work never stops and is overwhelming at times

More benefits would contribute greatly to company moral.

Worked an an Intern in Los Angeles

Former Employee - Portfolio Management Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Portfolio Management Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Retirement Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Learned that people actually work more than 8 hours a day. After working in retail I learned that I am capable of working at a higher level

Cons

Top management not available to meet on a daily basis. They are only available to chat in a monthly meeting and during birthday parties

Spend more time with interns

Internship Scam

Former Employee - Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at The Retirement Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Free gym membership, met some smart employees, most interns were very smart and motivated.

Cons

I was an intern for over 7 months until I finally realized that there is no hope for full time employment as promised. Interns do all the work within the firm. No senior members of staff to train or overlook interns.

Advice to Advisor trainees / interns: you are never going to become a broker or a portfolio manger at this firm, if the CEO was interested in bringing you on board, he'd get you licensed right away. Stop wasting your time chasing the rainbow and go elsewhere. Its sad seeing "Advisor Trainees" work 10+ hour days for years in hopes of becoming brokers, when in reality they're not even licensed yet nor are they going to be within the foreseeable future.

Intern analysts: go to any other advisory firm, you will be handsomely compensated to do the exact same work.

John Jestremski, the CEO has quiet a record. Look him up on FINRA.org as well as do a basic Google search on him. Don't buy into the management's promises.

Hey John, stop lying to all your employees. Run a business like it should be ran: with morals and ethics.

Jesse Reinle - Financial Advisor

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at The Retirement Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Jesse Reinle was my direct mentor. He taught me about the Merck pension and 401k. His knowledge was immense and detailed. He was very enthusiastic and helpful. Jesse is a very hard worker and made work fun on a daily basis. I had a great time working with him.

Cons

The con for me was that I had to travel very far to get to work. The commute was too far for me to make on a regular basis.

There is a lot of talent in your training program.

The Retirement Group (Jesse Reinle Financial Advisor)

I worked at The Retirement Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

My experience with The Retirement Group was a positive one. I had a hard time balancing school with work... oops, I guess I should save that for the next section! Anyway, I learned a lot about the financial industry. Jesse Reinle was a pleasure to work with. He is very smart. He knew the Merck, Exxonmobil, and Northrop Grumman plans better than anybody. He had a way of connecting with people and helping make complex concepts really simple.

Cons

Between work and school it was very difficult to balance my life. I didn't want my schooling to suffer so I had to focus mainly on school. It was nice to learn about subjects in the classroom and in the real world. When I graduate I will apply for a full time position.

Be more flexible with schedules.