The Running Room Reviews

2.2
John M. Stanton

1. Amazing, friendly staff

I have been working at The Running Room part-time

Pros

Being able to work with people and customers who enjoy the same passion as I do, RUNNING!

Cons

Some cons include low pay and redundant tasks. Not enough hours for part time staff.

Advice to Management

Be more involved at the store. Don't ever see upper management. Only through email I hear about them.

Good job, but ultimately left due to poor pay and poor communication from upper management

I worked at The Running Room

Pros

Great co-workers that all share a passion for running. Get to sell quality products for running and get great discounts on gear and lots of free products. Worked for the company for 9 years and was able to gain a lot of management experience and build my resume.

Cons

The pay is horrible and there is little room for advancement and little to no negotiation when it comes to pay increases. Very little support from upper management even though they expect so much. They always want us to come up with ideas to increase sales, but we have to get everything approved, and there is absolutely no follow through. Clinics and run club are poorly managed by upper management.

Advice to Management

Better pay would motivate employees more. The company will not succeed with a business model that does not treat employees with respect and as if they are valued.

Not a place to work for long term

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at The Running Room full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people that you work with at the store-level are great

Cons

Disconnect between upper management and store-level Everything you do is micromanaged by somebody sitting behind a desk in Canada No latitude for negotiating salary - they start everybody at the bare minimum Constant push to increase sales and metrics and even to go through sales training programs outside of work but no opportunity for commission or bonuses, no possibility of pay increase more than once a year no matter what you contribute

Advice to Management

Don't treat your employees like expendable cogs and still expect them to put in extra time and effort for you

5. Not a bad part time gig

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at The Running Room (More than 5 years)

Pros

staff discount on shoes was what made this worthwhile to me. Great store manager at the time and a fun work environment.

Cons

Pay was horrible - minimum wage for years. Staff were expected to take part in trainingpractice sessions on their own time, as well as "volunteer" for teaching the running clinics.

Just terrible upper management

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at The Running Room full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The running community is fantastic and I've made life-long friends

Cons

This is a family company that got way too big and doesn't know how to manage itself anymore. It's impossible to get any salient information from Head Office and they outright ignore problems in the stores. Staff are always blamed when things go wrong, including stopping shoplifters. I know an employee who had thousands of dollars of his personal electronics stolen and all Home Office did was blame him for a single pair of shoes that were also taken. There is no HR department so any complaints are completely ignored. There is no real staff training and its hit or miss whether a customer gets a knowledgeable staff member for help. The pay is dismal and barely liveable even as a full-time manager with years of experience. Don't even think about working for this terrible company.

Advice to Management

Head Office, please go public. This business outgrew the family years ago. Management is a joke now.

Unbelievably demeaning experience.

Former Employee - Office Clerk in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Office Clerk in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at The Running Room full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. Well, maybe the menial discounts you may get on some products. The hours at head office are nice.

Cons

Oh my goodness where to begin. Incredibly poor pay (I was actually compensated signifcantly more than other staff and took a pay cut to get the job). Wages freezes during times where executives take bonus after bonus. Incredibly poor atmosphere including rude management and executive body who are verbally and mentally abusive. This companny is so unbelievably top heavy there is no wonder that everyone else makes less than a livable wage. Everyone expects that you are willing to go above and beyond for a company that gives absolutely no regard for anyone that works for this bloated organization. The management will belittle you and embarass you. There is little HR involvement as they are no more than a glorified payroll centre. Everyone in a management roll has such a poor attitude and it definitely spreads to those beneath them. The general atmosphere is one of little to no respect. I had been attacked by management and executive for searching out assisstance from other departments and received no support from my direct supervisor when I attempted to address the issue.

Advice to Management

No advice will save this company from going into bankruptcy. The day they close will be a happy one. I would suggest however that you stop sending your executive and management to run in events that self promote their bloated magazine in which they over charge advertisers; that is, they should be focusing on how to improve company culture. Get to know how your management and executive treat the staff. Try to live on 14$ an hour. I feel sad that this is a Canadian born company as it cuts my moral fibre to the core through it's every action. Those Stantons need to cut middle management, axe those clueless executives, reprimand the atrocious behaviours that go on under their roof, give raises to the people actually doing the work and refocus their brand. In general you should consider your endeavours a colossal failure in the making.

Could be so much better if the company was run properly

Current Employee - Store Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at The Running Room full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Share a love of running and fitness with likeminded individuals

Cons

Poor pay. Bad upper management. Only negative criticism is given, never any good praises no matter what you do. Expected to work alone most of the time which results in no breaks even though breaks are taken out of the hours worked in the schedule. If you complain about breaks, you are told that you get breaks when nobody comes in the store... No room for advancement. Very little chance of a bonus or a raise. head office does nothing to drive sales into stores and then blame you for low sales. The current model is NOT working.

Advice to Management

Hire somebody with real business experience to make changes in the company to help it turnaround. A huge personnel change should be made from the top down.

9. Disrespectful senior management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at The Running Room full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, for the most part. No work on weekends. Consistent weekly hours. Social committee plans events for the office, though generally too athletic-focused for a somewhat non-athletic office.

Cons

Senior management is disrespectful to anyone they deem low on the totem pole; after a couple years in the office, they still don't know my name, or probably even what I do. Pay is pitifully low. Benefits are barely helpful. Communication is lacking between almost every single department. HR is basically non-existent; if you have a complaint, too bad for you. Not really room to move up anywhere.

Advice to Management

Higher wages would make a huge difference for the company. People would be more motivated to do a good job if they were paid what they deserve. Of course effort will be lacking when employees feel they're wasting their time. Get to know the people working for you; treat them as if they're people, not just positions.

10. Great co-workers, good place to work

Current Employee - Purchaser in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Purchaser in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at The Running Room full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, some of the best and smartest I've ever worked with, consistent work schedule, weekends off, social committee organizes fun events, decent benefits package.

Cons

Salaries aren't great, no sick days, limited advancement opportunities, few training opportunities.

Great concept, terrible disrespect from higher management

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at The Running Room full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

John Stanton captured what society needed in regards to health, fitness and place to find your healthy lifestyle needs.

Cons

Staying current with ever changing pay scales. Minimum wages moves so quickly that RR needs to stay on top. A huge disconnect between home office and store staff. I worked for the company more than a decade and one of the Stanton sons didn't even know my name. Upon resigning I didn't hear from any members of the family, after working as a manager and area manager. Very disappointing.

Advice to Management

I would insist that neutral exit interviews are conducted. If HR conducted them officially then RR top people would learn much more than when Brenda conducts them. For example, she could be the issue with those leaving RR but that would not be evident. Overall find a way to retain and show appreciation to the key members of your team. Underpaying + under appreciation = under valuing your people. Running Room prides themselves for having friendly knowledgeable sales people but behind the scenes their expectations are not industry comparable. For all the profit the company is experiencing the employees are not the ones reaping the benefits. Some kind of profit-sharing program would be a start. As I write this I realize I could go on and on and on, unfortunately.

RSS Feed </> Embed