The Sacramento Bee

Be The First To
Add Photos

Cheryl Dell

Had a good run

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosno comment at this time

Consstaying employed long term and avoiding being laid off

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

Intern

Summer Intern (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsWrote a TON of stories-one front page!

ConsNot a lot of young people there.

Worked here for many years and loved it.

Major Accounts Coordinator (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsOn site childcare, benefits, interesting

ConsLoss of staff since downturn in newspaper revenues

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great newspaper with big problems in the advertising department.

Account Executive (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsIt's a great newspaper and our society needs one in every major market in order to keep the spotlight on politicians/government, as well as big business. This type of journalism is even more important than tv news because of the in depth reporting they do.

ConsManagement problems in the advertising department.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful who you hand those management jobs to. Not all of your managers have been fair
    or treated their employees with respect.

Twee, and I can't say that in 5 words.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are signs marked "EXIT" clearly posted that help you find the way out. Unfortunately, almost everyone left is too scared to lose their paychecks and healthcare, so they will never use them properly.

ConsWorking there. Period. Can't put it any better.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt least openly admit that you are milking a dying cash cow, and substituting...

- substance with appearance, and
    - innovation with desperation.

A nice experience, but also dependent on your boss

Staff Writer (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsI really enjoyed working with my colleagues. They are a smart bunch. I didn't have any actual personal problems with my colleagues. It's been a while, so that might have changed. I've had a couple different bosses and there were ones I learned more from. They were supportive in my work. There was a personal situation that got out of hand and my bosses really backed me up.

ConsYour experience, like many other jobs, is dependent on your boss. This is especially true if you are a reporter/writer. You need to have a close working relationship with your boss and trust his or her abilities. I had a particular boss who could be nice, but also very capricious, which made working extremely difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think it's important that management vet the skills of their employees and listen more to troubled staffers about a particular person.

Not a bad place to work, but it's a pity the whole industry is going downhill

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsLike the work culture that is based on trust.

ConsSomehow the culture is close to a government agency; And a lot of employees are still living in 90's, if not earlier.

Great company while I was there...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsTrusted institution - high caliber coworkers and management - hard workers - good benefits - community partner and leader - happy employees

ConsNow that the newspaper industry is fraught with competing technologies, changing lifestyles and increasing costs of an outdated business model, along with the ailing economy, the company has been forced to make tremendous cuts and sacrifices that has eroded talent, loyalty, quality and morale. Too sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember the good old days and cherish past friendships as you transition into another venture. Keep your faith, spirit and resolve in tough times. Keep what's near and dear in perspective and you'll make it through. Good luck and God bless.

It is a good place to work, however the current economic climate has made the working environment extremely difficult

ProsWork with an extremely qualified and professional people whose goals and objectives are to promote great journalism and support local businesses

ConsThe current economic climate makes working here very stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue staff and get a better training program that allows people to promote from within.

Worked for The Sacramento Bee? Contribute to the Community!