The Salem Group

Updated October 13, 2014
3.8

The Salem Group President and CEO Dori Lorenz
Dori Lorenz

Integrity, visionary leadership, exciting, challenging, industry leader

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at The Salem Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The leadership team, from the CEO down, is made up of exemplary people who make an investment in every person hired onto Salem. Competitive pay and benefits? Sure... but that's a drop in the bucket compared to all the other reasons why I love working here. The Salem Group has fostered a true team environment where creative ideas and morale flourish.

Cons

The clock. Most days it doesn't seem possible that 5:00 can arrive so quickly.

They need to deal with more clients rather then limited themselves to one large company

Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Salem Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Their communication needs to be more accurate with its employees

Cons

The challenges were not being awarded for attendance, recognized for work ethics and above all not taking in consideration the hard work and above beyond the call of duty. Should stay in constant contact with supervisors.

Even though there are many individuals seeking employment, it should be standard practice for the agency to work on a constant basis with the employees who they know with stay with a job no matter how demanding or frustrating it may become. Look for those individuals first and stay in contact with them at all times regardless if they completed their assignment or not.

Sep 4, 2014Corporate Development Manager

I am sorry you have had a less than positive experience with Salem. It is our goal to keep an open line of communication with our Assignment Employees and we value your feedback. I would encourage ... More

FRUSTRATING

Current Employee - Project Manager in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at The Salem Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is nothing good I can say about this company

Cons

I have worked at one of The Salem Group's client for a year, I got extensions, raises and very positive feedback while I was there, the only reason they could not continue to extend me was that they could only keep contractors for 1 year then they have to wait 90 days to bring me back in. I made the Salem Group alot of money! When the assignment ended I heard nothing from The Salem Group in 3 months!, In fact they deleted me from their database and told me that it is common practice and I have to reapply. The company is interested in me returning, since I am no longer in Salem's Database I am going to use another agency to work with the client and make them alot of money

Try to hang on to the talent you have, when the assignment is over, don't just ignore them, give them something small to keep them working until something big comes along, you guys ignored me, now I am making an additional $10 on top of the great salary I was making with you (yes your lient company wanted me that bad!) and the commission is all going to Randstad!

Sep 15, 2014Corporate Development Manager

First, please allow us to apologize: it sounds as if we miscommunicated something to you. We never remove candidates from our database - so, if we gave you the impression that we would be removing ... More

Director

Former Employee - NO THANK YOU in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - NO THANK YOU in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Salem Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits and ok salary.

Cons

There is no Management Team. No one knows what they are doing. There is No respect. There is No Process for Growth.

Learn how to take advice and learn how to Listen. Be mindful of how employees gossip. Worse environment.

Revolving door

Current Employee - Client Service in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Service in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Salem Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I liked how they invested in technology to stay current. Their Best Practices were very effective and helped to deliver excellent client service to maintain long lasting relationships.

Cons

It is impossible to move up in the company for most .There is a revolving door with lots of turnover. Those who have made it to upper management and have been there a long time are puppets to the owners. There are a lot of corporate politics with big egos, and I suggest one stay below the radar. With client service managers, it is not uncommon for corporate to have private investigators following them in the field to make sure they are doing what they say they are doing. I know, it is hard to believe, but it is true. Raises were never given and exceeding goals was never good enough for corporate.

Get to know your employees and treat them as you would like to be treated.

Jul 24, 2014Corporate Development Manager

First and foremost I would like to offer you the opportunity to personally speak to our Executive Team regarding any discrepancies you may have regarding all aspects of our business, both past and ... More

Interesting and definitely a learning experience!

Current Employee - Human Resources Recruiting in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - Human Resources Recruiting in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at The Salem Group (less than an year)

Pros

Good place for temporary employment while you continue to search for the career opportunity.

Cons

No Career advancement and false expectations were set in regards to growth.

Learn you associates (i.e. audience)! There is a difference between micromanagement and coaching. Communication is the essential piece of maintain a good working relationship.

Jul 1, 2014Corporate Development Manager

Salem prides itself on the ability for our employees to enjoy long-term careers with us, as so many of our employees have. The degree to which an employee advances, however, is always dependent upon ... More

Former Staffing Coordinator

Former Employee - Staffing Coordinator
    Former Employee - Staffing Coordinator

I worked at The Salem Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salem was a fun company to work for. Staffing, in general, is a fast-paced business, and you meet all types of people --- all with different backgrounds and unique personalities. It was impossible to get bored! Salem's overall approach to client service was really refreshing, and as a Staffing Coordinator, I was encouraged to do more than just recruit. I was able to build relationships with our clients, as well as our candidates. It was great to do more than just sit behind a desk.

Cons

Staffing is definitely not a predictable business. We were expected to meet specific activity levels and benchmarks each day (specific numbers of interviews, phone calls, new hires, etc.), which makes a lot of sense, but probably isn't for everyone. Ultimately, I made the decision to pursue an HR role outside of the staffing industry, as it was more in line with what I was seeking, career-wise. That said, Salem equips its teams well to deal day-to-day demands and challenges.

During my time at Salem, the company began making increased investments in its technology. I've been away from Salem for a couple of years now, but I still talk to many people there, and I understand that since I left, those investments have increased even more. I'd definitely encourage management to keep making those investments in technology so that you stay cutting edge.

My home for 17 years

I have been working at The Salem Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I actually started my career at Salem as a temporary employee. I got to know the people at Salem, and they got to know my skills and abilities, and I was eventually hired internally. Fast-forward almost two decades, and I’m now in a Director role with the company. That’s really the culture at Salem: if you take care of the company, it takes care of you. It’s a great place to work if you’re looking for an organization that will expect the best out of you… and will actually give you the tools you need to BE your best.

Pro’s: Very consistent and fair leadership. Clear expectations. Everyone respects each other. It's a really positive environment. Everyone gets down to business, but we have a lot of fun doing it.

Cons

A few other people have mentioned this, but I think it’s worth repeating: if you’re just looking for a 9-5 job, this isn’t the place for you. Salem encourages everyone to work hard, play hard – but sometimes, when people say that's what they want, they’re just really looking for the “play hard” part. There are some long hours, when a project or critical need arises… but there’s always a reward and a celebration of our success afterward.

Overall, I'd say keep doing what you are doing. Continue to hire top performers, and keep holding everyone accountable for their results.

My short stay at Salem Temp services.

I worked at The Salem Group

Pros

Nice people to work with.

Cons

Not enough jobs for my skill set.

seek out more job in the city of Chicago, IL. Which will hard to do. For so many companies are not hiring or they are moving out to the suburban area.

All of these glowing reviews are a joke

Former Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Salem Group full-time

Pros

It's a paycheck until you can find something better. The company is so mismanaged that many people coast for years before anyone notices.

Cons

Please consult the review from Jun 5, 2012. It's the only accurate reflection of the company.

All of the positive reviews are obviously written by internal marketing; to believe otherwise is delusional. Note the month in which these ecstatic reviews start and the month in which they finally hired a business/marketing strategist. These several "reviewers" can't think of a single con other than "this place is too perfect!" Give me a break.

Start with getting a technology system that's not from the 1980s. Stop hiring sycophants who do little more than throw tantrums and power trip. Actually invest in the company and find a way to distinguish it from the dozens of other small, mediocre staffing agencies. Until you do so, expect to continue having a C-list clientele and revolving door of employees.

Mar 26, 2014Corporate Development Manager

Any company that has stood the test of time truly has its outstanding employees to thank for it. That said, leaders of such companies will also share that, over the years, there will be undoubtedly ... More