The Salem Group

Add Photos

The Salem Group President and CEO Dori Lorenz

Dori Lorenz

Former Staffing Coordinator

Staffing Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsSalem was a fun company to work for. Staffing, in general, is a fast-paced business, and you meet all types of people --- all with different backgrounds and unique personalities. It was impossible to get bored! Salem's overall approach to client service was really refreshing, and as a Staffing Coordinator, I was encouraged to do more than just recruit. I was able to build relationships with our clients, as well as our candidates. It was great to do more than just sit behind a desk.

ConsStaffing is definitely not a predictable business. We were expected to meet specific activity levels and benchmarks each day (specific numbers of interviews, phone calls, new hires, etc.), which makes a lot of sense, but probably isn't for everyone. Ultimately, I made the decision to pursue an HR role outside of the staffing industry, as it was more in line with what I was seeking, career-wise. That said, Salem equips its teams well to deal day-to-day demands and challenges.

Advice to Senior ManagementDuring my time at Salem, the company began making increased investments in its technology. I've been away from Salem for a couple of years now, but I still talk to many people there, and I understand that since I left, those investments have increased even more. I'd definitely encourage management to keep making those investments in technology so that you stay cutting edge.

Revolving door

Client Service (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI liked how they invested in technology to stay current. Their Best Practices were very effective and helped to deliver excellent client service to maintain long lasting relationships.

ConsIt is impossible to move up in the company for most .There is a revolving door with lots of turnover. Those who have made it to upper management and have been there a long time are puppets to the owners. There are a lot of corporate politics with big egos, and I suggest one stay below the radar. With client service managers, it is not uncommon for corporate to have private investigators following them in the field to make sure they are doing what they say they are doing. I know, it is hard to believe, but it is true. Raises were never given and exceeding goals was never good enough for corporate.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your employees and treat them as you would like to be treated.

Jul 24, 2014Corporate Development Manager

First and foremost I would like to offer you the opportunity to personally speak to our Executive Team regarding any discrepancies you may have regarding all aspects of our business, both past and ... More

Interesting and definitely a learning experience!

Human Resources Recruiting (Current Employee) Oakbrook Terrace, IL

ProsGood place for temporary employment while you continue to search for the career opportunity.

ConsNo Career advancement and false expectations were set in regards to growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn you associates (i.e. audience)! There is a difference between micromanagement and coaching. Communication is the essential piece of maintain a good working relationship.

Jul 1, 2014Corporate Development Manager

Salem prides itself on the ability for our employees to enjoy long-term careers with us, as so many of our employees have. The degree to which an employee advances, however, is always dependent upon ... More

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My home for 17 years

ProsI actually started my career at Salem as a temporary employee. I got to know the people at Salem, and they got to know my skills and abilities, and I was eventually hired internally. Fast-forward almost two decades, and I’m now in a Director role with the company. That’s really the culture at Salem: if you take care of the company, it takes care of you. It’s a great place to work if you’re looking for an organization that will expect the best out of you… and will actually give you the tools you need to BE your best.

Pro’s: Very consistent and fair leadership. Clear expectations. Everyone respects each other. It's a really positive environment. Everyone gets down to business, but we have a lot of fun doing it.

ConsA few other people have mentioned this, but I think it’s worth repeating: if you’re just looking for a 9-5 job, this isn’t the place for you. Salem encourages everyone to work hard, play hard – but sometimes, when people say that's what they want, they’re just really looking for the “play hard” part. There are some long hours, when a project or critical need arises… but there’s always a reward and a celebration of our success afterward.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, I'd say keep doing what you are doing. Continue to hire top performers, and keep holding everyone accountable for their results.

My short stay at Salem Temp services.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice people to work with.

ConsNot enough jobs for my skill set.

Advice to Senior Managementseek out more job in the city of Chicago, IL. Which will hard to do. For so many companies are not hiring or they are moving out to the suburban area.

All of these glowing reviews are a joke

Recruiter (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIt's a paycheck until you can find something better. The company is so mismanaged that many people coast for years before anyone notices.

ConsPlease consult the review from Jun 5, 2012. It's the only accurate reflection of the company.

All of the positive reviews are obviously written by internal marketing; to believe otherwise is delusional. Note the month in which these ecstatic reviews start and the month in which they finally hired a business/marketing strategist. These several "reviewers" can't think of a single con other than "this place is too perfect!" Give me a break.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart with getting a technology system that's not from the 1980s. Stop hiring sycophants who do little more than throw tantrums and power trip. Actually invest in the company and find a way to distinguish it from the dozens of other small, mediocre staffing agencies. Until you do so, expect to continue having a C-list clientele and revolving door of employees.

Mar 26, 2014Corporate Development Manager

Any company that has stood the test of time truly has its outstanding employees to thank for it. That said, leaders of such companies will also share that, over the years, there will be undoubtedly ... More

Great Place to Advance

Manager Service Coordinator (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe best thing is that the managers not only help move you up in areas you are skilled at but they also take your interests into mind and help you develop yourself for a career in your field. Even if your field is something different then where you started with the company, Salem really tries to maintain employees by keeping them happy in their every day duties.

ConsIt is a small company so many times you are wearing a lot of different hats and do many things. Sometimes this is overwhelming, thankfully Salem has a great support system so it is very common that managers step in and help out.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to help out with members of your teams. It is so great and makes the employees feel like they are part of a team rather then a hierarchy.

Recruiter

Recruiter (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSalem empowers their employees to think outside of the box. The opportunities and possibilities are endless. Management is warm, friendly and passionate about helping those around become their best selves within and outside of work.

ConsThere are never enough hours in the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel blessed and honored to work beside our Management team. They have integrity and intelligence. However, I would like more obstacle training.

Working at Salem

Branch Manager (Current Employee) Oakbrook Terrace, IL

ProsIf your looking for a work hard, play hard environment Salem is the place for you. The company is constantly providing training to help each individuals personal improvement which is fantastic. I thoroughly enjoy working with this group of people and the many clients we have gained over the years. Last year was the best year in our 30+ years of doing business and I look forward to many more.

ConsI don't have any negative comments to add at this time although I wish there was more time in our schedules to connect outside of the work environment!

Epitomize Excellence

ProsThe Salem Group demonstrates key principles for success: action, integrity, and excellence. With visible leadership, cooperative efforts, team collaboration, and transparency into the direction of the organization this company is the best of the best.

For any industry, growing the business is a must. The Salem Group has cultivated a culture rich in effective communication to share insights, recommendations, and strategic ideas to grow the business. More importantly, leaders put their trust in their teams to make it happen! As a result, The Salem Group does in fact change words into action and are represented by people of great integrity, strong work-ethic, and passion to do great things.

Working for The Salem Group provides an opportunity to grow with a company and build a career. With senior leadership supporting key success factors such as, knowledge, developing talent, creating opportunity, effective management/leadership, and transparency they do all they can to support the motivation, engagement, and development of their employees. Additionally, the relationship with leadership is mutually beneficial, and by putting in the work to achieve results one will create great opportunities and growth. At every level within the company everyone is valued, involved, and treated with positive regard. This creates a positive workforce and sets people up for success.

The Salem Group mission rings loud and true. "We do more for our clients than provide them with stellar candidates for each of their requisitions. Instead, we serve as a true partner, guiding our clients through each of their toughest workforce challenges, providing the cutting-edge solutions and service offerings that will help move their staffing programs and their organizations as a whole, from where they are to where they truly can be."

The talented team as a whole is rich in knowledge, diversity, and expertise, which contributes to growth across all divisions, and as a result, they get the people thing right and epitomize excellence!

ConsThere are no cons or downsides to working with The Salem Group.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet the bar high and expand our visiblty to other markets.

Worked for The Salem Group? Contribute to the Community!