The San Francisco Chronicle

Failing Newspaper industry

Former Employee - Graphic Design  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Graphic Design in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The San Francisco Chronicle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Being on the cusp of breaking news. Staff diversity. Job security, up to a point. Located downtown. Monthly pizza days.

Cons

Poor leadership. Manager with no background, experience and little knowledge of employee job duties or skill levels. Favors attractive women over more qualified staff. Union shop with no teeth. Mandatory overtime.

Respect and fairness. Keep staff in the loop.

Grateful for the experience, but ultimately limited growth/ challenges

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The San Francisco Chronicle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As a writer, the experience I had here was incredibly helpful for my resume. While I only wrote here and there in my role, those bylines have opened many doors, which is great. The people there are very nice for the most part, and there's a lot of flexibility and work-life balance, which makes it easy to stay there for awhile. I worked in multiple departments and was lucky to have exceptional bosses.

Cons

There isn't a whole lot of room for growth, innovation, or learning new things. At least in my roles it was definitely do x,y,z every day, which can leave one very complacent and unfilled over the long term. The community isn't really connected. While I had great coworkers in certain departments, the overall vibe isn't the most upbeat and harbors a rather traditional, stale atmosphere if you're someone who likes to grow, change, and expand professionally.

Enable employees to grow and challenge themselves; prioritize company morale.

Sad to see what's happened to this place

I have been working at The San Francisco Chronicle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The employees are by and large dedicated and give it their all.

Cons

Pay is pretty low for what is asked. Guild employees have given up vacation time, pension benefits and good health coverage.
    Most middle management employees haven't gotten raises in five or six years. What happened to the supposed bonuses non-union people were supposed to get if the paper turned a profit in 2013? Obviously no one got one, but the top brass didn't even have the courtesy to send out a note saying "sorry folks, we didn't hit our numbers."
    Management seems to bounce around from idea to idea of what we need to do to be profitable and relevant, and offer very little in the way of clear direction or guidance to the employees, most of which desperately want the paper to succeed.

Be clear about what you want from employees.
    Reward hard work.
    We all realize that the industry has changed and we're not king of the hill anymore, but asking more from employees while giving back little in the way of compensation is a recipe for disaster.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard push to add quantity in Digital Accounts with a poor ability to fulfill digital campaigns

Former Employee - Digital Account Executive  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Digital Account Executive in San Jose, CA

I worked at The San Francisco Chronicle full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working in the Bay Area
    Has potential to do well in the digital advertising space
    Management willing to join sales calls, to assist in close

Cons

Too much training that overlaps and includes things not relevant to the office/area you work in
    Constant requirement to track every single phone call and email to meet your Salesforce "points quota"
    Daily hounding about how lacking your sales calls are, even if you are 500% above quota
    Horrible ability to creatively and technically fulfill clients requests/promised work. Clients quit consistently do to lack luster design and ad traffic numbers.

Get rid of the requirement for high activity in Salesforce
    Stop flying people out for training. They need to know how to work efficiently with their team, not hear about things that do not apply to them.
    Have sales meting twice a week versus daily. Daily check-ins should be individual at the start of the day, not the end. No more than 15 minutes

Good pay and good people.

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The San Francisco Chronicle full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay at The San Francisco Chronicle is great! They have some amazing talent working for them across the company.

Cons

Old facilities, equipment and technologies. Culture needs some revitalization. Overall company morale is not very positive. Not enough focus on company website.

Update your equipment and your offices. Focus more on your website and less on your print subscribers. Build user generated content on you website. Stop selling cost per day digital advertising sponsorships and start selling monthly digital advertising sponsorships.

ok while it lasted.

Former Employee - Middle Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Middle Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The San Francisco Chronicle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, nice people. easy commute location. Owned by hearst

Cons

Still run by newspaper people

Good pay, but company is on a downhill slide

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The San Francisco Chronicle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was able to negotiate a very good salary going in, and that helped me a lot. If you're in the union, you have very good work rules regarding weekly hours, overtime and holiday pay, etc., but if you have no seniority, you will almost certainly get screwed when it comes to weekends and vacation time over major holidays, or at least that was the case as of 2009. You'll get to work with incredible journalists with decades of experience, and most of them are nice people. The annual wine and makeup and book sales are amazing (when the newspaper sells samples it received to employees in order to raise money for charity).

Cons

Hardly any of us spent time together outside work. Almost no one lives in San Francisco proper. There isn't much of a "team feeling." If you're new, you're screwed when it comes to scheduling because of union seniority rules (or the way those rules are interpreted by your managers). Holidays such as Christmas and Thanksgiving are reserved for longtime employees and people with young families. The paper is constantly cutting staff and adding to the workload of the survivors.

Make the distribution of holiday time off more equitable. Don't drive away young employees with harsh seniority rules. Arrange for more employee activities outside of work.

Hard-working journalists doing their best under the circumstances

I worked at The San Francisco Chronicle

Pros

Seasoned, insightful news people who know what they're doing. Up until recently this was a fun place to work. Some of the best story-tellers in the country; the newsroom has a lot to be proud of. The Gate understands its audience and feeds the beast. All those daily uniques can't be wrong.

Cons

Time to stop dropping the f-bombs and inspire people. But not enough experience at the top to lead.

Drop the hard-ass approach and work to get staff buy-in. They understand changes are needed, but convince them yours is the right path. Keep the marketers out of the newsroom.

Frustrated Graphic Designer

Former Employee - Graphic Gesigner  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Graphic Gesigner in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The San Francisco Chronicle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Some of the staff are fantastic, really a great group of people.

Cons

Management was clueless. They were promoting the worst salespeople to sales management. They kept the old timers who were unaware of the internet. Really a gathering of fools and brown nosing morons.

Leave.

An exercise in futility do not waste your career years there

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The San Francisco Chronicle full-time

Pros

You will definitely learn how to uber multi-task, learn huge lessons in patience and get to see upper management make huge mistakes that you will never repeat.

Cons

Commission structure flawed from the outset. It's set up to punish you for doing well the following year. The commission structure has changes at least once a year. Therefore your income does trend downward where most actually make less that when they first started. This is not due to lack of selling it's how the system works. Management constantly chasing ambulances for the next silver bullet idea and stubbornly holding on to non-producing concepts. Currently deciding to repackage and rename a 3 year losing concept. Many talented and good professionals are jumping off the ship. Moral amongst employees all time low most are looking to get out the others are too close to retirement so they're stuck and riding it out.

Drop the "Tech Company Envy" HMS is a Content company. Just because you pass out long overdue laptops, make everybody sit indian style at meetings and switch the furniture around to look like a "tech environment" is not getting to the reason why sales are down. How about making sure your best people don't keep walking out the door?

Worked for The San Francisco Chronicle? Contribute to the Community!