The San Francisco Chronicle Reviews

1. Service Assurance Representative

Former Employee - Freelance Writer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Freelance Writer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The San Francisco Chronicle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The location is easy to reach from virtually any point in the San Francisco Bay Area. The work environment is friendly. There is plenty of work to do there.

Cons

There have been severe cutbacks on many positions at both the exempt and non-exempt level. There is always this nagging feeling that your job can get eliminated next.

Advice to Management

It's important that management communicate clearly what jobs are likely to stick around and which ones might be eliminated. Employees should have a chance to seek other employment while they can.

2. Digital Account Executive

I have been working at The San Francisco Chronicle full-time

Pros

Employees were treated very well, and the company really invested in its employees to get the most out of them. Overall a great experience.

Cons

It seemed as though a lot of the employees had been there a long time, so it was a little bit intimidating. The longer-term employees seemed a bit set in their ways to newcomers.

Advice to Management

I loved my time at the Chronicle. The weekly training sessions were a great way to keep your employees sharp and continuing to learn and grow.

3. Working at SFGate

Current Employee - Programmer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The San Francisco Chronicle

Pros

a Chance to work with very talented people

Cons

There is still an impedance mismatch between the Chronicle and SFGate. Chronicle employees seem to have their heads in the sand with respect to the relative importance of print media and electronic media nowadays. It is really kind of quaint and even a little charming in some cases.

Advice to Management

Print is withering on the vine. Wake up.

Dying a slow death.

Current Employee - Web in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Web in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The San Francisco Chronicle part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location, good name recognition, solid resume builder.

Cons

The Chronicle is past its prime and having trouble figuring out where it belongs in the new media landscape.

Advice to Management

Pick a direction and go with it! Either turn into a 100% click-bait publication like the Mirror or stick with the hard news. If you want to do both, then split the company in a more visible way. The differences between the Gate and the Chron aren't apparent to much of the public and it's wrecking the brand.

Needs Some Newer Blood

Former Employee - Newsroom Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Newsroom Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The San Francisco Chronicle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Having the Guild there makes for a more open environment, decent working conditions. Staff members are friendly.

Cons

I thought that too many in middle management were more interested in preserving the perks of newspaper management when that medium was in its so-called glory days. There was too much focus on managing the process rather than in contributing. There seemed to be a lot of denial of how much technology has had the ability of making middle management more obsolete.

Advice to Management

I guess the Boomer managers will have to retire before there could be changes that would move the newsroom into the future.

Failing Newspaper industry

Former Employee - Graphic Design in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Graphic Design in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The San Francisco Chronicle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Being on the cusp of breaking news. Staff diversity. Job security, up to a point. Located downtown. Monthly pizza days.

Cons

Poor leadership. Manager with no background, experience and little knowledge of employee job duties or skill levels. Favors attractive women over more qualified staff. Union shop with no teeth. Mandatory overtime.

Advice to Management

Respect and fairness. Keep staff in the loop.

Grateful for the experience, but ultimately limited growth/ challenges

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The San Francisco Chronicle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a writer, the experience I had here was incredibly helpful for my resume. While I only wrote here and there in my role, those bylines have opened many doors, which is great. The people there are very nice for the most part, and there's a lot of flexibility and work-life balance, which makes it easy to stay there for awhile. I worked in multiple departments and was lucky to have exceptional bosses.

Cons

There isn't a whole lot of room for growth, innovation, or learning new things. At least in my roles it was definitely do x,y,z every day, which can leave one very complacent and unfilled over the long term. The community isn't really connected. While I had great coworkers in certain departments, the overall vibe isn't the most upbeat and harbors a rather traditional, stale atmosphere if you're someone who likes to grow, change, and expand professionally.

Advice to Management

Enable employees to grow and challenge themselves; prioritize company morale.

Good pay and good people.

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The San Francisco Chronicle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay at The San Francisco Chronicle is great! They have some amazing talent working for them across the company.

Cons

Old facilities, equipment and technologies. Culture needs some revitalization. Overall company morale is not very positive. Not enough focus on company website.

Advice to Management

Update your equipment and your offices. Focus more on your website and less on your print subscribers. Build user generated content on you website. Stop selling cost per day digital advertising sponsorships and start selling monthly digital advertising sponsorships.

ok while it lasted.

Former Employee - Middle Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Middle Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The San Francisco Chronicle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, nice people. easy commute location. Owned by hearst

Cons

Still run by newspaper people

11. Good pay, but company is on a downhill slide

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The San Francisco Chronicle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to negotiate a very good salary going in, and that helped me a lot. If you're in the union, you have very good work rules regarding weekly hours, overtime and holiday pay, etc., but if you have no seniority, you will almost certainly get screwed when it comes to weekends and vacation time over major holidays, or at least that was the case as of 2009. You'll get to work with incredible journalists with decades of experience, and most of them are nice people. The annual wine and makeup and book sales are amazing (when the newspaper sells samples it received to employees in order to raise money for charity).

Cons

Hardly any of us spent time together outside work. Almost no one lives in San Francisco proper. There isn't much of a "team feeling." If you're new, you're screwed when it comes to scheduling because of union seniority rules (or the way those rules are interpreted by your managers). Holidays such as Christmas and Thanksgiving are reserved for longtime employees and people with young families. The paper is constantly cutting staff and adding to the workload of the survivors.

Advice to Management

Make the distribution of holiday time off more equitable. Don't drive away young employees with harsh seniority rules. Arrange for more employee activities outside of work.