The San Jose Group Reviews

The San Jose Group President & CCO George L San Jose
George L San Jose

1. Market Research

I have been working at The San Jose Group full-time

Pros

The owner of the company has been a real pioneer in the field, from whom you can learn a lot. He's intelligent and creative, so that your experience working for him is an invaluable opportunity for professional enrichment.

Cons

Mid management seems unexperienced. It is reflected in losing clients, which erodes morale and consequently human talent is also lost very often. Stressful, as you always wonder whether you'd have a job next month.

Advice to Management

I think management would benefit from formal education on how to instill empowerment, manage situations and overall appreciation of team's capacities and efforts.

2. Great Boutique Agency Experience

I worked at The San Jose Group full-time

Pros

Intimate work environment, smart and talented team

Cons

Due to the small agency environment, senior leadership and management style can feel a bit bully-ish

3. Account Services

I worked at The San Jose Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Great location. Nice office. Very nice people to work with in the office.

Cons

A lot of the agency runs on interns. It can be great experience for a young professional to take on more responsibilities, but there probably needs to be more full-time structure.

Vice President/Director Level - Single worst professional experience I've had

Pros

I'm sorry. I honestly can't think of one simple thing I would classify as a "pro" within the agency. I suppose the kitchen area and your individual work area is above average.

Cons

I'm not a malicious person and honestly have never shared anything like this before. Something recently reminded me of my time working for George San Jose and thought this forum to be appropriate. I have worked in the ad agency industry for over 10 years and have met, worked for and befriended Principals (Owners) of agencies like this all over Chicago. There are so many things wrong with the way he runs his agency. (and to be clear.... he literally runs and micromanages every aspect of the agency) There literally is no staff other than maybe the 4 full time employees he has. the rest are 10-20 (no kidding) interns entering data for a summer. He tries to mentor this group with a once a week staff meeting but he is so far removed from the trends in the industry and how successful agencies are run, his efforts teach the young interns poor habits. He is operating in the very scary capacity of selling first and staffing second. There is no "creative" team or "Creative Director". He has absolutely no expertise within the digital space and the only stream of revenue I saw a possibility in was in utilizing his "global" San Jose Network (small, boutique agencies in places like South America) in possibly charging his client an extra 10% to put a billboard in Peru or something. Anyway, the portfolio is incredibly outdated which makes winning new business hard, no creative staff so execution is usually sub par and on top of everything, George honestly is not a kind person to have as a colleague. As mentioned, I've worked for all kinds of agency owners but this was an experience I can't even begin to express in regards to the just flat out rude and managing my fear type of approach. I had potential pieces of business who George wanted to speak with in which I immediately received a call with just how flat our rude George was on the phone.

Advice to Management

There is nothing to give because there is no management. My advice to George is to have a slice of humble pie and realize your shop is not relevant in the current marketplace. I'm sure the 70's and 80's were successful as you cornered the Hispanic market. I guess maybe merge with a more digital and/or relevant agency to energize your portfolio? Either way... very poor mistake on my end for staying as long as I did.

Not a very good internship program for undergrads

Former Employee - Junior Executive Intern in Chicago, IL

Pros

the company was alright, but their internship program wasn't great; seemed like the full-time staff really enjoyed being there, though

Cons

as an intern, I received very little work (almost none at all) and it didn't seem that anyone even noticed; I wasn't paid for my time either, which is perhaps how not giving a good internship experience was justified

Reading the other reviews shows that nothing has changed. CEO is still a bully who undermines he's employees.

Pros

Location...yes that's all, nothing good in working here.

Cons

CEO bully and doesn't want to hear new and effective strategies, incompetent leadership, no direction, no growth, even though CEO is Hispanic he's racist against his own race and values white employees more, interns everywhere and unpaid

Advice to Management

Take some anger management classes and listen to your employees. You're not the only one with ideas! Hire actual experienced individuals instead of dumping all your work on unpaid interns who don't learn anything because their supervisor is incompetent.

Last Resort Only

Former Employee - Junior Executive Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at The San Jose Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting experience with good people to work with. Flexible schedule

Cons

Leads to nowhere. You're basically their free workforce

Advice to Management

Pay JE's

Good to gain experience but not ideal for the long term

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at The San Jose Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are trying to get into the ad industry, this is a great way to break in and get the much needed experience for your resume. There is free access to the fitness facilities and snacks in the building. The hr guy and operations manager definitely make coming to work pleasant and are very welcoming to everyone.

Cons

The CCO's way of thinking and running the company are out dated. There are more interns than employees (interns are unpaid). How can you expect to get quality work when the majority of your staff is just entering the industry and your regular employees look miserable. The account executive is over-worked and does not give clear directions which makes for a lot of miscommunication. You can tell she could be great at her job and pleasant to work with but they need to get her some (paid) help.

Advice to Management

Spend money on getting more regular experienced employees, acknowledge your staff for their work you are receiving at a low price; it may just help make up a little for the lack of fair pay, and last, take ideas from interns and younger staff; they may have a fresh outlook that can change the direction of the company for the better.

Good Experience

Pros

They have a small creative team so you have the opportunity to work on everything.

Cons

I have no negative comments about this agency.

Not a Great Career Choice

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at The San Jose Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free snacks. Pretty office.

Cons

Call center atmosphere. No creative input respected. Expensive parking. Management was not engaged in opportunities.

Advice to Management

Keep your brand promise to your employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed