The San Jose Group

The San Jose Group President & CCO George L San Jose

George L San Jose

Last Resort Only

Chicago, IL

ProsInteresting experience with good people to work with. Flexible schedule

ConsLeads to nowhere. You're basically their free workforce

Advice to Senior ManagementPay JE's

Good to gain experience but not ideal for the long term

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsIf you are trying to get into the ad industry, this is a great way to break in and get the much needed experience for your resume. There is free access to the fitness facilities and snacks in the building. The hr guy and operations manager definitely make coming to work pleasant and are very welcoming to everyone.

ConsThe CCO's way of thinking and running the company are out dated. There are more interns than employees (interns are unpaid). How can you expect to get quality work when the majority of your staff is just entering the industry and your regular employees look miserable. The account executive is over-worked and does not give clear directions which makes for a lot of miscommunication. You can tell she could be great at her job and pleasant to work with but they need to get her some (paid) help.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend money on getting more regular experienced employees, acknowledge your staff for their work you are receiving at a low price; it may just help make up a little for the lack of fair pay, and last, take ideas from interns and younger staff; they may have a fresh outlook that can change the direction of the company for the better.

Junior Executive

Junior Executive (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat people to work with. You learn a lot from management. This internship is what you make of it.

Cons- Unpaid internship
    - Use interns to do a lot of work that should be payed for

Advice to Senior Management- Pay interns or don't rely on them

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Experience

ProsThey have a small creative team so you have the opportunity to work on everything.

ConsI have no negative comments about this agency.

Satisfied

ProsSmall and easy to interact with people. They also treat interns very nicely

ConsMight get too small sometime. the pros becomes the cons

Hated it, but I needed experience

Junior Executive/Intern (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsA good amount of people you work with an sometimes make the 40 hour day/no pay worth it and the experience looked good on my resume after just finishing my freshman year in college.

ConsI worked under a micromanager who was surprisingly immature for her age. Thankfully she left so maybe their internship program got better. Other than that, I would not recommend applying for their internship program unless it did in fact get better--They basically use this program as free labor

Advice to Senior ManagementInterns work hard and make up a huge chunk of the office. Don't they deserve more?

Not a Great Career Choice

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsFree snacks. Pretty office.

ConsCall center atmosphere. No creative input respected. Expensive parking. Management was not engaged in opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your brand promise to your employees.

Internship looks good on resume, but doesn't teach much or allow for opportunities

Chicago, IL

ProsThe field of multicultural marketing is an interesting one with a bright future

ConsInternship was unpaid, SJG hires too many interns so there is not enough work and there are more interns than employees, full-time staff do not have enough time to teach interns anything or really spend time with them, there are very few opportunities for growth or a full-time job

Advice to Senior ManagementHire fewer interns, pay them, and teach them- they will produce quality work for you

Intern

Chicago, IL

ProsCan work on real time projects

ConsNo pay and false hope of ever getting a job since the office runs on free interns

Advice to Senior ManagementPay interns and build a internship program that offers the possibility of a future job

Worth it! (If you're willing to work for it)

Junior Executive to International Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Pros-You are going to be assigned more than intern work (I personally was asked to pitch the agency as to real clients). How could you ask for anything better?!
    -To the people who are complaining that it's hard work, would you rather be doing hard work or coffee grabbing?
    -Killer location
    -Awesome people (interns, CEO, VP, management) people I would want to grab a drink with
    -Track record of stellar work with more to come!

Cons-No pay, but check with your university there are many scholarships offered for "pro-bono" internships

Advice to Senior ManagementSomeone is going to pull a Liam Neeson on me after I say this, but please continue start interns as unpaid. *gasps* Why would you say that?!

Well, the interns who were proactive, always sought a new project and were assigned some of the most high end stuff you could possibly complete as an intern (aka rebranding new business) were given and deserved those opportunities. When the intern has proven themselves then you can offer some hourly payment.

If you want to sit back and kick your feet up browsing through social media all day like the former grumpy former interns on this page there is reason why you are unpaid.

If it was your money would you give it to a lazy college kid who happens to be good at schmoozing the HR during an interview, then shows up to work to message his college buddies on Facebook. I'll let you answer that one yourself.

Keep up the good work George & Mark and don't be afraid to try something new, risky, yet innovative.

Worked for The San Jose Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The San Jose Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The San Jose Group CEO George L San Jose. All 41 reviews posted anonymously by The San Jose Group employees.