The School District of Escambia County

Malcolm Thomas

1. teacher

Current Employee - Teacher in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Pensacola, FL

Pros

Staff are friendly and helpful. The district works hard to maintain a great working and learning environment

Cons

The student population is mostly free and reduced lunch. Many of these parents are non committal to their children s education needs. Salaries are lower than most other districts

Advice to Management

continue to push for increased salaries and benefits for teachers and staff

2. Think about it before becoming a teacher

Former Employee - Teacher in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Pensacola, FL

I worked at The School District of Escambia County full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Salary is comparable to the private sector since it's only a 10 month contract.

Cons

Little support from Administrators. Plan on working late every day or from home. I taught high school so plan on teaching numerous subjects even out of field. I really hated having text books that were completely online.

Advice to Management

Become proactive to retain teachers vs cold shoulders

3. I love working for escambia county school district.

Pros

Nice pay, wonderful work environment.

Cons

The medical benefits are not very good.

5. Sub teacher

Former Employee - Sub Teacher in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Sub Teacher in Pensacola, FL

I worked at The School District of Escambia County full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pick your own schools And set you own hours

Cons

None to the management. They were well ballanced.

Advice to Management

None they were a well ran groupe

Good and bad

Former Employee - Office Machine Repair Technician in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Office Machine Repair Technician in Pensacola, FL

I worked at The School District of Escambia County full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really liked working with the teachers and fellow techs. Everyone was very nice.

Cons

Too "clickish" I was told I wouldn't get the permanent because I was a family man and I wasn't a good "fit" because I didn't care about sports and hunting, so i wasn't to become a member of their "good ole' boys" club. I was complimented on my very high skill level which I thought was the most important part of the job.

Advice to Management

Grow up! Judge employees on their abilities, not whether they align to your way of life or not.

7. Good

Current Employee - IT Technician V in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - IT Technician V in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at The School District of Escambia County full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love the people that I work with

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about this company

Overworked...severely underpaid

I have been working at The School District of Escambia County (More than 10 years)

Pros

The kids are obviously the best reason to work for this school district. Departments are usually close with one another throughout the schools.

Cons

most of the faculty are negative bc they are so overworked and so underpaid! The superintendent does NOT care about the teachers and what we have to go through on a day to day basis. The administration is more concerned about pleasing downtown at the district than they are with ensuring a teacher's well-being. I can't remember the last time we got a raise. Our union is a JOKE and anyone who contributes to the union dues are simply paying for the union reps' salaries. They do nothing for teachers....NOTHING!!! The FCAT is shoved down the students' throats bc all the district cares about is teaching to the test. Political political political! Did I mentioned our benefits??? We had our dental taken away and about two years ago our free employee health benefits were also taken away. It really pays to be a teacher in Escambia county I tell you!! Unfortunately, many good teachers continue to leave and the only ones who suffer are the kids.

Advice to Management

Care about the well being of the children for once and start investing money in the teacher benefits and teacher salaries. Get a clue!

9. Love teaching, faculty.

Current Employee - Science Teacher in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Science Teacher in Pensacola, FL

Pros

The students are amazing. They come in and go to work. At my school we do not have to worry about pep rallies! The faculty is 99% friendly--lunch is the highlight of my day. Everyone lifts everyone else up. Sometimes we talk so much we forget to eat! When I have an idea--they say--you get it together and we'll make it happen.

Cons

Would like to have running water and more students. Computers do not handle some of the programs I would like to have on there. Professional development plan waste of time.. Just grade us on student output.

Advice to Management

Insure correct content, high rigor balanced with a warm heart.

10. great co-workers

Current Contractor - Parent Educator in Pensacola, FL
    Current Contractor - Parent Educator in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at The School District of Escambia County as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

summers off and geat hours

Cons

the wasteful spending upper management

Advice to Management

cut upper management spending

RSS Feed </> Embed