The Scripps Research Institute

Updated December 17, 2014
3.8

The Scripps Research Institute President & CEO Michael Marletta
Michael Marletta

Pros
  • Great place for graduate students (in 5 reviews)

• Plenty of people from foreign countries is giving you an opportunity to learn and understand different cultures (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • San Diego is an awful place to live if you are used to living and like living in a big city (in 4 reviews)

• Pay is average or below average relative to other scientific institutions due to high living expenses in La Jolla / San Diego region (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Hit or Miss, but mostly good.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant, Senior in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant, Senior in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at The Scripps Research Institute

Pros

-People overall are really nice.
    -The admin network is awesome, everyone that I've collaborated with has been very helpful and a pleasure to work with.
    -If you're lucky enough to get PIs with personality and that you are able to work well with, it's the best place ever!
    -There's lots of autonomy.
    -It's a very diverse environment... you can learn a lot about lots of different cultures.
    -if you're into gossip, the grapevine here is vast. Admins are the proverbial fly on the wall.
    -The benefits are AWESOME. Some of the discounted rates are cheapest around!
    -Beautiful location. If you're lucky like me, you get an office with a view of the golf course and ocean.
    -Most buildings are really nice.
    -Lab/group functions can be very many and very fun.
    -If you're nerdy like me, you get to learn about the latest research and upcoming breakthroughs.
    -TSRI is a place that makes a difference in the world and its amazing to be a part of this.

Cons

Many of these have not personally been experienced by me, rather I was in a position to have observed them happening to my peers:
    -Lack of training: Gotta know what you're doing or be able to fake it til you make it. These PIs can be very demanding (not always in a mean way) and expect you to move when they snap their fingers.
    -On the topic of PI's some are just plain rude and DGAF about you or anything else but their work, funding and being pretentious. These will be your micromanagers and can kill the morale of the lab.
    -You may have to interact with people that just don't know how to appropriately socialize (due to the diversity in cultures) and it would be best If you're the type to make the best out of unsavory situations, or have tough skin.
    -While they do solicit positions internally first, those are few and far between and many people vie for those positions. This means that there's little room for growth - but they'll surely add on more people for you to support without much consideration or additional compensation.
    -The workload can get stressful; many complicated grant submissions at the same time with multiple collaborators, manuscript submissions, and personnel/budget issues can all be going on simultaneously and usually, all are priorities.
    -The manager (Admin manager) aims to please the person bringing in the money. NOTE: This. is. NOT. you, the admin. So, if you have a problem with your PI or if your PI has a problem with you... your SOL.. look for a new job or get with the program because they will find ways to eradicate you.
    -MOST IMPORTANTLY: NO FUNDING (highly likely) = NO JOB!!
    -With the current funding climate and leadership issues, things are a little precarious at TSRI.

The big people and their big brains bring in the money, but the little people do all the leg work in between to make this happen. Acknowledge the little people. Appreciate them and this would be a much better place to work.

Postdoc - a lot of lab to lab variance. Good place academic but with an industry flavor

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in San Diego, CA

I have been working at The Scripps Research Institute full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone's pretty friendly,everyone wants to collaborate to get stuff done, science is normally at a very high level. Library is awesome

Cons

A few issues with money like the rest of the science world. You can totally isolate yourself if you want to from the rest of the institute which isn't good to do and can be easy to do as well. Can be competitive in some labs

Sort out the money. Encourage better food around the area!

Nice place for graduate school.

Current Employee - Graduate Student in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at The Scripps Research Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

State of art facilities. Collaborative environment.

Cons

No school environment and no strong connections between PI and students.

Better management needed for cost effective operations.

Awesome place to work

I have been working at The Scripps Research Institute

Pros

independence, almost unlimited budget to research

Cons

insane competitivity, stressful, difficult life-work balance

Great experience - I miss this place!

Former Employee - Research Assistant I in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant I in San Diego, CA

I worked at The Scripps Research Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved the flexible hours. As long as I got everything done that day, I could arrive/leave the lab at any time, though finishing projects before my P.I.'s expected date was hardly an issue. I love my P.I., Chitra - very understanding and generous enough with project time frame. Environment and team was great.

Cons

I hardly consider there to be any cons. The only con, if any, might be that the lab could have been more exciting at times.

Small, Intimate insitute.

I worked at The Scripps Research Institute

Pros

Free parking is always a plus, convenient location, and opportunities to grow under the right mentor or PI.

Cons

Lab to lab differences in expectations, as in any academic institute. Figure out how demanding your boss will be before you enter.

I have worked here for my entire professional career so far.

Current Employee - Research Assistant Professor in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant Professor in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at The Scripps Research Institute part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This is a great environment for focusing on basic research with little outside distractions. There is access to cutting edge biological/chemical research technologies and the intellectual environment is outstanding. The pay is better than the average academic job.

Cons

There is generally not a lot of financial support for the average junior faculty. You are entirely dependent on funding your own lab, including your own salary.

Not worth the money

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Jupiter, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Jupiter, FL

I worked at The Scripps Research Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Possibility of high impact publications. Close to beach

Cons

High pressure constantly. Not much salary compensation.

Pay more to postdoctoral scientists.

good environment ,lively research institute and good for chemistry

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at The Scripps Research Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great science and good reputation ,beautiful view ,good for graduate students

Cons

salary is low for postdoc ,some toxic chemicals like isotope used everywhere,not good for body,they treat graduate students way better than postdoc

consider more for postdoc

Better than UCSD

I have been working at The Scripps Research Institute full-time

Pros

Unlike college campuses, parking is easy and free. There are plenty of walking spaces to get between buildings/spend your lunch outdoors.

Cons

Each building appears to have different rules. Some are fully locked at all times, some have front-desk personnel, some could be entered by anyone during work hours. Each also appears to have different facilities staff so response/results from maintenance requests wildly vary.

The Scripps Research Institute Photos