The Siegfried Group Reviews

Updated April 14, 2015
68 reviews filtered by
3.3
The Siegfried Group President and CEO Rob Siegfried Jr.
Rob Siegfried Jr.

Pros
  • I met lots of great people while there (in 5 reviews)

• go for an interview, take the amex gift checks and spend it on gas to go to other interviews (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management need to get their act together (in 5 reviews)

• Projects - upon hire you will most likely be pushed or required to take a project on a Big 4 engagement (in 4 reviews)

1. Challenging, rewarding model -- great way to become a well-rounded accounting professional

Current Employee - CPA in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - CPA in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Siegfried Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Different/unique client service delivery model. Pay structure is great; don't have to travel unless you choose to do so; hours are reasonable (much better balance compared to public accounting); better insights into companies and what they actually do vs just being an auditor. Figuring out what it is that I really enjoy doing

Cons

Balancing client and firm requests

Advice to Management

Stay true to what we do

2. Awesome Company

Former Employee - Associate Manager in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at The Siegfried Group

Pros

Love working at the Siegfried. All co-workers are smart, fun and very professional. Management team treats us very well. Annual retreat on the company was awesome!

Cons

Long commute to clients sometimes.

3. Don't fall for the promises.

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at The Siegfried Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Pay. There are many great opportunities to work with fortune 500 companies.

Cons

The money isn't worth the long hours away from your family and the opportunity.

Advice to Management

Try investing in your employees by connecting with them on an individual basis, and listening to them.

If you need big 4 before going into private, not the worst choice you could make

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at The Siegfried Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the people like to party, the money is terrific, you can see all the different parts of the country if you want to, this can be the job before the job if your end game is a nice private gig

Cons

there are semi monthly meetings which can only be described as the CEO pushing his political agenda. they're on Saturdays and are mandatory.
    you are just a spoke on a wheel. if one client has a slight issue, you're gone. but that's consulting in a nutshell. do not expect them to go to bat for you, because they won't and can't
    will not advance your accounting knowledge and will not keep current with events. easy to fall behind in the profession.

Advice to Management

no real advice. it is what it is. very turned off by the CEO and his politics - and i AGREE with most of them. it just gets jammed down your throat

DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Siegfried Group

Pros

- decent salary
    - gift card for interviewing

Cons

DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE!! The Siegfried Group promises tremendous bonuses and a great company culture, but here is the reality; you are a contractor and for all intents and purposes have ZERO ties to Siegfried, so the company culture is irrelevant, I promise. I worked at Siegfried for over a month before I even met anyone at the company or had any kind of training. Furthermore, they say they care about their employees, but the company is a contracting machine- my first job that I was put on, I was put on a client by myself with no direction and before having received any training from Siegfried. I asked for help from managers multiple times but received none. It was so frustrating and such a helpless feeling, and at the end of the project when I received a less than excellent (not poor, but less than excellent) review, I wasn’t given the chance to explain my side of the story, discuss the review, or even given a chance to improve. They fired me on the spot…AFTER ONE REVIEW because I was thrown onto a job with no support.

It starts with the tone at the top, and the CEO is nothing more than a political bigot who loves to hear the sound of his own voice. As I mentioned earlier, I worked at Siegfried for over a month before I received any kind of training, and the training that I went to was only for a day and a half. Furthermore, the one full day of training that we had was the CEO aimlessly talking for literally the entire day about absolutely nothing in particular. If I had to create an agenda, it would have been, “How long can Rob talk about himself?"

The Siegfried Group sounds like a fantastic option for someone looking to transition out of public accounting, but most people want three things coming out of public: 1) better pay, 2) better hours, and 3) more interesting work. 1) The salaries at Siegfried are pretty decent, but the company really talks up its bonuses, which is what I was really excited about when first joining The Siegfried Group. However, when actually joining the company, I learned that the bonuses you receive are based off of complex stipulations and calculations, and end up being much much less than advertised. 2) One thing that bugged me about public accounting was a focus on hours rather than productivity. I hated the mentality of, “You have to work this many hours regardless of how much you get done or how quickly or efficiently you work.” It’s the SAME thing at Siegfried; they expect you to bill at the very MINIMUM 48 hours a week year-round. You’re expected to work late year-round regardless of the client you’re on, how much work you have, or how efficiently you work. 3) Much like public accounting, the work is often very tedious and painfully mundane, and the company will strongly push for you to do a Big 4 auditing project, which is what I’m sure most people are trying to get away from in the first place.

The Siegfried Group casts a wide net by constantly ramming down its employees throats to focus on recruiting. They want to add more people and grow as quickly as possible, but this is only because the company is so quick to let people go. If a single one of your clients rate you as anything below Excellent, (not a poor rating, just below excellent), you’re gone. So think very carefully before you decide to join The Siegfried Group, because there’s a painfully large gap between what Siegfried advertises and what Siegfried is really like.

7. Decent bridge from public accounting to industry

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at The Siegfried Group (More than 8 years)

Pros

Variety and exposure to new types of work. Colleagues are great. Lots of extra curricular activities.

Cons

Not all assignment are good. Risk of being on the bench.

8. Good exciting experience - fortune 500

Former Employee - Accounting Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Accounting Manager in New York, NY

I worked at The Siegfried Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- work on many different engagements
    - most fortune 500
    - Pays higher than market
    - overtime
    - great people to work with
    - become a jack of all trades
    - good work culture

Cons

- if you want to specialize in any particular area of accounting and finance, this is not the role

Advice to Management

Would be nice to see some international clients down the line. But great job. Keep it up!

This company is the about the worst company to ever work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at The Siegfried Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None to really speak of.

Cons

Doesn't come through on promises, very low pay compared to others, and minimal to no salary increases going forward. Company has multiple incentive programs in place which sounds good on paper; however, calculations at time of payout are convoluted at best and actual payout is 50% of promised so that you don't leave mid-year. Company tries to circumvent this by providing title changes; however, this does not translate into monetary compensation. The work is extremely unchallenging and you typically are more qualified than those people you report to at the company you've been outsourced to. Worst part is they make you sign a non-compete, which they WILL ENFORCE even if outsourced company tries to offer monies to Siegfried to release you form the non-compete. This obviously has caused them to burn numerous bridges in the industry with their own clients. Stay very far away as this firm burns people left and right... seriously regret having ever started with Siegfried... pls heed this warning.

All Talk no substance

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Siegfried Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Money for job Interview
    -Variety of work
    -Pay is not so bad, comparable to other big firms

Cons

Everything else. For a company that promotes work/life balance and communication, there isn't any. You get work like a dog on remedial things. Working late on engagements are expected even if you are done with your section. Yes you get penalized for being good at what you do. There's no communication on where you are heading with your job.

Advice to Management

-Practice what you preach

11. Great pay, potentially great experience, and lots of great exit opportunities

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at The Siegfried Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) The pay, especially if you travel or are on an engagement for more than six months, is really good. 2) I met lots of great people while there. 3) The work can be really rewarding if you get on the right client. 4) All the standard perks of a good CPA firm (CPA exam reimbursement & bonus, travel stipend, etc.) without having to do audit work

Cons

Sometimes the work can be low-level (depending on the client & assignment). Clients might also view you as a temp if they're not well informed about the company and the capabilities of its resources.

Advice to Management

Continue to become more and more transparent with the Resources. They are the lifeblood of the company and the more they know, the more connected they'll feel! Also, figure out a way to try and standardize the promotion process to be more objective.

The Siegfried Group Photos