The Simple Stores Reviews

8 reviews filtered by
3.7
Steve Simpson

1. Working alongside the passionate founders made a big impact on me - honest work, honest pay - demanding but fulfilling.

Former Employee - Co-op/Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Co-op/Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at The Simple Stores

Pros

The two founders of TSS work hard for you and expect you to reciprocate. They built the company up from nothing and are vested in making it last. As an employee, you're part of the long term vision of the company and they make sure to invest their time into training you to do well while at the same time being interesting, personable coworkers. Professional standards are upheld and it's expected that you learn quickly and fulfill the role you've been hired for.

Cons

The founders are not professional managers from top MBA programs, but rather specialists in their own disciplines. As such, it is important that personalities and work styles align, which should be clear and open from the very beginning.

Also, as a very small company, HR practices are not up to par with Fortune 100 powerhouses. That's the nature of such small operations.

Advice to Management

Make sure any job candidate in an interview knows exactly what they are expected to contribute to the team in order to set the baseline on both sides of the aisle. Set expectations and objectives clearly - and pay appropriately - and that should help stop any surprises before they happen.

2. Great potential for future growth with some changes.

I worked at The Simple Stores full-time

Pros

They have a winning formula to grow the company which will benefit the founders greatly.

Cons

They owners don't have the business experience to take the company to the next level. They could grow the company and become a "player" with a real silicon valley feel if they wanted to do it.

Advice to Management

You guys are smart and hard working and you have created a solid company that takes good care of you and YOUR future. Why not get the experienced advice, management or VC you need to spread the equity / opportunity and blow this thing out?? Otherwise its just a job.

3. What is their future.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at The Simple Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Run by two smart hard working guys. Both are trying to treat people well and fairly.

Cons

Little opportunity here for real money or career advancement but it does NOT HAVE TO BE THAT WAY. They may just be trying to sell and hold on to every piece of equity which is why there is nothing doing here.

Advice to Management

These guys are maxed out in terms of their business experience as to how and where to take the company to the next level.

5. The simple stores fosters a friendly, collaborative environment in which all are working hard to see the business grow.

Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at The Simple Stores

Pros

challenging and varied duties: I had new tasks every day
    hard working environment, with common goals
    creative strategies from top management, shared with employees
    friday lunch!

Cons

some tasks were repetitive, but others make u.p for it and this is something that should be expected at a startup.

Advice to Management

could use a little more feedback from management and opportunities for bottom-up communication, brainstorming, etc, to encourage teamwork. For example, present a problem to team members and give them the opportunity to come up with creative solutions.

6. Growing Company with Exciting Opportunities

Former Employee - E-Commerce Support Specialist in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - E-Commerce Support Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at The Simple Stores

Pros

It's always exciting to be at a company when it first starts. The Simple Stores has big plans for growth and is adding to their selection constantly. The office is relaxed and there is a ready supply of snacks which is great for those busy days. I really enjoyed learning about the different products and working with such a smart, capable group of people. Customer service is always hit or miss but it can be rewarding when a customer gives you great feedback!

Cons

I was one of the earlier full time members to join the team so I'm sure it's only natural to have some growing pains. During the busy season (holidays) the atmosphere can get quite intense and it may feel like you aren't being supported because everyone is so busy and stressed. During the slow times things also get a little monotonous with the repeating of the same tasks and the days blending in to one another.

Advice to Management

I think in the future it will be very important to build up a support structure for staff and regularly bring up opportunities for growth for employee retention. During our weekly meetings we were always kept up to date about our products and services but I think it's also important to also have staff development days. Including office team building events would also be a great way for employees to get comfortable with each other in a personal setting to build a strong network. A lot of times everyone is stressed from either crazy customers, difficult situations or other unforeseeable setbacks but I think the level of customer service would greatly improve if during those times everyone did something fun together to de-stress and laugh out loud! I found I was always in a better mood with customers if there was something to look forward to and in customer service your attitude is always what turns a customer around. Other than that, keep expanding and doing the great work that you do!

Challenging and Rewarding!

Current Employee - Customer Support Supervisor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Supervisor in Boston, MA

I have been working at The Simple Stores

Pros

-Small company with lots of positive and hardworking people
    -Ability to provide input to senior management and help shape the culture and the future of the company (You don't have as much influence at larger companies)
    -Steady growth year to year
    -Business casual work environment
    -Good benefits (Health Insurance, 401K match, Paid Time Off, etc)
    -Every day is different and has its own challenges. This is perfect for me, because I enjoy learning something new every day, problem solving and thinking on my feet
    -Ability to do many different tasks on top of customer support
    -Free lunch on Fridays and snacks in the office
    -Customer focused company!
    -Management is accessible, always asks employees for feedback and promote a "door is always open" environment
    -Fun team activities outside of work
    -Company reading library
    -Close to public transportation, shops, restaurants, parks, etc

Cons

-Street noise can sometimes be heard by customer's over the phone
    -The holiday season is very busy, but that is normal in retail
    -Free all day street parking was recently changed by the city to 2 hour parking (However, there are many buses you can use to get to work)
    -Difficult commute, but I live far outside the city (many employees walk, ride bikes, or take buses)

Advice to Management

-Continue to find ways to improve the culture and office space
    -Continue to be accessible to all employees
    -Continue to improve procedures and systems to increase efficiency of staff
    -Spend some time each month doing customer service tasks, so that you are always up to date on what the staff deals with (faster procedure and system improvements could come from this)
    -Continue to hire the best employees that fit the culture

Hard Work That's Actually Rewarding

I have been working at The Simple Stores

Pros

- Small company that works closely together - horizontal or flat structure
    - Company does not emphasize 'titles'. Focuses on truly providing stellar customer service and a great customer experience
    - Company encourages open dialogue and looks for ways to improve
    - Fun to be part of a growing company where you can see your impact on the whole
    - Multitasking keeps me moving from different tasks and projects which involves me in multiple areas of the business
    - Down-to-earth, relaxed work environment.

Cons

- Improve office acoustics. Find ways to decrease noise.
    - Work to streamline new employee training.
    - As the company continues to grow, focus on hiring the right 'cultural' fit
    - Continue to add to the company reading library!

Advice to Management

Focus on more steady feedback to employees at regular intervals. Standard reviews are fine, but more structured feedback will always allow us to know how we're doing.

Overall, negative.

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at The Simple Stores

Pros

- Free lunch on Friday.
    - 40 Hour Work Week
    - Tightly-knit group, which is good for some
    - Learn a lot about furniture
    - Learn how to resolve all sorts of different customer issues
    - Learn a lot about logistics, which can be interesting.

Cons

- Mundane, repetitive tasks. After a few months your functionality and interest as a customer service specialist basically plateaus. One day begins to bleed into the next.
    - Zero commission
    - Low, almost unsustainable compensation for the greater Boston area. They'll upsell the job during the interview and define the salary as "competitive," but you'll soon realize they're not only low-balling but taking advantage of recent college grads cause they can. (brutal job market)
    - Negative feedback from management. Due to the fact that the office is so small, the president is constantly browsing through all of your work, listening in on all of your calls. He spends most of his time nit picking on how you could have done a better job and taken more time responding to a product question. Yet, he doesn't take into account the non-stop phone calls and order issues you're being assigned to throughout the day. Don't expect any compliments, he's impossible to please. Be ready to kiss some a** on day one or he'll have it out for you.
    - Zero room for growth. For the full year I've been working here they have yet to promote from within because there essentially is no hierarchy at The Simple Stores. It's you, the CSR, then the supervisor, then the owners. There are literally no other positions within the company.
    - Crime-ridden, downtown office. They call it the "South End," but most people would call it Roxbury.

Advice to Management

- Treat all employees the same -- this means fair pay, better benefits, and better leadership so expectations are clearer
    - Eliminate the 'growing company' spiel ...Sure, the company's growing, but this isn't translating to higher pay, more promotions, or anything of that nature. Just more money in the pockets of management.