The Source Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
Updated October 20, 2014
3.3

Charles Brown

Pros
  • Employee discount on items in store (in 5 reviews)

• Lots of opportunity for personal growth, I've been promoted twice (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • I'm afraid that if something doesn't change with the upper management in Ontario, that the company will lose many more good people (in 4 reviews)

• STRONG focus on subscription services (cell phones, satellite, internet) (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

A good part-time student job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pincourt, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pincourt, QC (Canada)

I have been working at The Source part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good commission, good work/life balance, not stressful, good discounts with Bell and Virgin and good co-workers.

Cons

Sometimes really slow so nothing to do, commission salary can go up and down.

Better schedule, more products available in store

Was good to start with but later on things changed

Current Employee - The Source in Calgary, TX
    Current Employee - The Source in Calgary, TX

I have been working at The Source full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Job flexibility good traffic and decent locations

Cons

Too much targets and big inventory issues

Staff is the biggest asset company has.
    Please take care of it.

Amazing Opportunities

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at The Source full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's one of the fastest growing consumer electronics companies and its always evolving. New stores, changes and promotions make people that want to move up able to succeed.

Cons

Aggressive sales targets makes it a challenging environment but is very rewarding

Recognition and Rewards has been a diminishing part of the company and needs to take a larger roll. People enjoy recognition and without it we risk loosing people.

Great job for a high school student

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at The Source part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Base pay + commission: Make great commission if you have good people skills

Cons

- Some customers can be over the top

- Have biweekly reviews with employees to work on areas where they can do better

Very fun and friendly environment, always trying to help people out and provide a full solution.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Port Perry, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Port Perry, ON (Canada)

I have been working at The Source part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Employee discount on items in store
    -customer interactions
    -dealing with new technology
    -Easy to book time off by using the online website or contacting the manager

Cons

-required to ask about selling phones to everyone, which can be awkward
    -sometimes long downtimes between sales so you can be standing there for an hour with nothing happening

-Teach how to converse with people and the various steps of conversation

Great Company, Strong Leadership

Former Employee - SSC Associate in Barrie, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - SSC Associate in Barrie, ON (Canada)

I worked at The Source full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Source is a very collaborative environment with amazingly talented people focused on a common goal. The culture is warm and inviting with tremendous energy invested in creating a safe and productive workspace. Stores are located conveniently within close proximity most of the Canadian population and the store support center located in Barrie Ontario, a vibrant central Ontario city, just north of the GTA.

Cons

Consistency at the store level is challenging due to the large number of stores, vast geographical distribution and highly variable demographic conditions.

Good to learn but no room for growth

I have been working at The Source

Pros

Good to learn,if you love gadgets

Cons

No room for gorwth,no good pay

Average, nothing more, nothing less.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at The Source part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good co-workers
    Rewarding at times
    Flexible hours
    Solid benefits

Cons

Poor salary
    Repetitive, annoying tasks (tagging, stock, dusting, vacuuming)
    Lack of training
    STRONG focus on subscription services (cell phones, satellite, internet)
    Low commission

If the focus is going to be so heavy towards subscription sales, perhaps you could start phasing out the other items in the store and direct the focus solely on those services. Not everyone comes in for a new cell phone, or looking to hook up internet/satellite/home phone. The managers do not seem to understand this concept. No matter how good I, or my co-workers do, its still not good enough most of the time in the managers/DSM's eyes and they always expect/want/demand more.

Another problem I have, is the constant passing off of managerial tasks. Re-tagging the whole store, or doing 20 boxes of stock on your own, doing up code tags for damaged/broken products. Not to mention dusting, vacuuming, taking out garbage/boxes and other cleaning tasks that should not be associated with the job. I do not get paid nearly enough to do all the things I am forced to do on top of dealing with the type of people we have to deal with on a daily basis. I am told to focus strictly on sales, and then I'll get dropped 15 pages of tags to do, or a full order of stock. If you want the staff to excel in sales, then do not drop tasks on them that will take up all their time and focus.

If not for my fellow co-workers, I likely would have left the job by now.

Store management.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at The Source full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For the most part you are left alone to run the stare as you will, but only if you are hitting targets.
    Fun working environment. Competitive atmosphere. Bonuses commissions and spiffs. Being rewarded for a job well done.

Cons

Low starting wage. Bonus structure is great but if you have a slow month it can really suck.

Better training for management. Group training and or in store training.
    Update POS systems. Oracle has done nothing for the front lines. Make stock availability accessible. Give managers the ability to order stock for there stores. Sometimes traiting can be wrong

Defective Management and Poor Employee treatment

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at The Source part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you would like to learn about the new technologies and telecommunication services, It is a good learning experience for an entry level or a summer job.

Cons

The Management lacks professionalism and handled by a network of few Amateurs. By network I mean, false Business practices are kept in silence by Managers who works closely with District Managers behind the Bell Corporate. 75% of employees are hired part time, this gives the managers authority to use the total hours in a week (which are sent to divide among employees in each location) to use as a rewards or punishment. You can work 15 hours one week and expect 4 hours the following week. While there aren't much incentives and growth, the hours within store are divided unfairly between Managers and their chosen employees. This not only raise question of favoritism, but you can also witness discriminatory decisions. There were many unethical practices and situations ( which violates every business rule you learn in school), for example: my Manager sold a cellphone device on a 85 years old women, who could barely keep her focus on the conversation. He forced her into buying that cellphone by throwing her free stuff to persuade her, and even sent her home twice to find an ID. When I raised concern, My manager replied by saying we need a core (sales) for our store to compete in the district. There were many other occasions similar to this, when elderly women and men were tricked into buying things without giving proper information about the contracts and terms. The competition among stores sales, makes the managers to force you to shove Cellphone contracts down the customers throat. In final note, Never raise your concerns with DSM over any store activity no matter how unethical they are, because it is not confidential and often they already know it and kept it quite.

The Source Photos

this is the front of the store
We celebrate innovation!
The Source Store Support Centre and Distribution Centre
We are committed to growth opportunities and career development

+ Add Photo