The Standard
www.standard.com Portland, OR 1000 to 5000 Employees

The Standard Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014
The Standard – US – “Standard Plaza”

The Standard President & CEO J. Greg Ness

J. Greg Ness

Pros:
  • "Great location in downtown Portland"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Good people, good benefits, fair location"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "The news that layoffs were coming in favor of outsourcing to India was announced by the IT VP a few months ago"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Mid to upper management making poor decisions, big turn over lately"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Stability

Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Standard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI've worker here for about 20 years, through ups and downs, demutualization, recession, etc and it has always been a solid company to work for.

ConsThings have changed over the years; not always for the good. Annual raises for the past 4 years have been low or zero. Staff reductions have resulted in more work for everyone, with not much more pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the wealth.

An insurance company should not be publicly traded.

Benefits (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Standard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsStandard has done a great job hiring smart, experienced and well-balanced people at the lower levels.

ConsAs the company is publicly traded we are always having to answer to the shareholders and the bottom line. What drives us isn't always about what is best for the company as a whole, but what is more profitable.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a smart, educated and experienced workforce, use them! Decisions are being made from the top, but the people who are making these decisions are so far removed from the things they are making decisions regarding, it is almost ridiculous when we hear what they have come up with. One problem I see that influences this is there are too many layers of middle management. A few layers of middle management needs to be done away with so people who are making process and procedural changes are working more closely with the people who are actually carrying out the work.

Extremely poor management. It's all about who you're friends with in order to advance in your career

RFP Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at The Standard full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat location in downtown Portland.

ConsAs I said before, poor management practices (at all levels).

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some management classes at a nearby college or university.

The Standard is awful for IT jobs!

Data Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Standard full-time for more than a year

ProsYou can get away with doing nothing.

ConsNo accountability, passive-aggressive, better to be nice than to be productive, software is all ancient and out of support.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit and get some people there with balls, especially David ??? the CIO!

Not a competitive company overall

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at The Standard full-time

Pros–Upper management communicates with employees at all levels. Multiple times management would walk around my floor and asked me how things were going and so forth. This is rare...

Cons–Cronyism to the maximum in this place. It literally pissed a lot of people off. In my tenure there, I saw a person get hired for another internal position after just 6 months of working there (there's an established 1 year minimum to apply). A woman got promoted to manager after less than a year of being there, but she was the wife of an upper management executive. I also saw a person get promoted 2-3 times from taking photographs to a higher marketing position in less than 14 months. These are just some cases from a long list of crazy promotions and things that went on there.

–Compensation is extremely low compared to competitors, below average in my career area. I got a 1% performance bonus, that is ridiculous.

–Meetings, meetings and more meetings: The culture seems to be around meetings–at least in my area–and the time wasted in meetings is just inconceivable. I have not seen anything like that anywhere else.

–Talent is not recognized. I worked with people that had degrees nowhere close to the educational preparation required, and their mistakes were covered up by managers for the sake of who knows what. Some people were afraid of technical skills and preferred keeping it simple even when that couldn't be done to answer the questions needed to be answered.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the talent and skills needed for the team to succeed, don't settle for less than that. Don't be afraid about holding people accountable and avoid wasting time in meaningless meetings.

Great

QA Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Standard as an intern for less than a year

ProsInteresting projects, great people to work with

Consold systems, compensation can be better

Advice to Senior Managementhave like a leadership program

Used to be great

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Standard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros* Many front-line managers try to do the best for their employees
* Many areas genuinely care about work/life balance

Cons* Lack of leadership transparency
* Lack of leadership accountability
* Mixed messages regarding corporate policies depending on which area of the company you work in
* Leaders at the Director level and above seem to throw employees under the bus when something goes wrong
* Cronyism exists everywhere...incompetent managers are given opportunities to grow & excel because they are friends with senior executives
* Forced ranking of employees has created an environment where most aren't willing to do more than the bare minimum to be successful...employees don't feel extra effort is recognized as there isn't space for more than 10% of employees to be determined as anything more than average and there isn't support from management to make the case when areas do have more than 10% doing exceeding expectations work

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with your employees...don't try & sugarcoat or avoid things. People are losing faith in you and that's just exacerbated by the fact that the average employee merit increase are less than 3% when executives are getting double digit increases, there's no feeling of trust or that employees can be genuine and honest with their managers without being viewed as a

Great learning curve

Financial Quality Assurance (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Standard as an intern for less than a year

ProsMeet a lot of great people, interesting project to work on.

ConsSome old processes are used.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep on hiring great professionals

Good place to work--at a stately pace

Senior Individual Contributor -- IT (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Standard full-time for more than 3 years

ProsReally nice people, good pay, considerate management, good benefits, flexible schedules, nice downtown location--for those in Portland Home Office.

ConsCompany is very slow to embrace change and adopt best practices. People seem to be resigned to the fact that The Standard has limited ability to excel or achieve breakthrough progress.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a clear vision for the future that everyone can get behind, and then drive execution.

This company has great benefits but career growth is very limited.

I have been working at The Standard full-time for more than a year

ProsThis company has pretty good benefits

ConsCertain people are not honest about your opportunities regarding your career at this company. Many people advance within the company if they become close to their supervisor or manager. The policy of informing your current boss any plans to apply for another job within the company gives certain bosses the opportunity to block your chances to advance. Dishonest practices are being used to keep deserving employees the opportunity to reach their highest potential to grow professionally. Also, the grade level system needs to be restructured so managers will not consider employees for higher level position if they qualify for the job. Work distribution is not divided appropriately. Some people have been there too long with closed mentality. The opinions and suggestions of the employees with seniority is valued.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a closer look at the practices of supervisors and managers. Some employees are getting special treatment which makes for a toxic environment.

Worked for The Standard? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Standard reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Standard CEO J. Greg Ness . All 78 reviews posted anonymously by The Standard employees.