The Standard Reviews

Reset
2.3
The Standard President & CEO J. Greg Ness
J. Greg Ness

Pros
  • Allows flexible work hours, good work location in downtown Portland, Customer Service and Retirement Plans are better areas in the company to work in (in 14 reviews)

• This company has pretty good benefits (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is not trustworthy (in 8 reviews)

• Big outsourcing to India continues (in 4 reviews)

1. which job?

Former Employee - Policy Support Specialist in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Policy Support Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard (More than 10 years)

Pros

I work with some great people.

Cons

Jobs morph into something you weren't expecting. (When two teams merge into one and you are 'expected' to know how to do other team job quickly)

Advice to Management

Actively ask and listen to your employees.

It has it's goods and bads

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great, Perks are nice. Benefits are average or slightly above. PTO is good.

Cons

Raises based off of an impossible scale, management concerned more in cutting cost (ie employees) then service levels, production environment in a service industry (no real customer focus anymore). lots of focus groups with very little real action. Extremely outdated tech. Tech support avoided at all cost.

Advice to Management

You can keep patting yourselves on the back at how well you all are doing but unfortunately if the employees could tell you the truth without fear of retribution or retaliation you would find out how over work we really are. You say "Do what matters. Care about people, Ensure a sustainable Future, Take the high road, Own your choices, Imagine possibilities" but I bet if you ask most employees honestly with out fear of being let go you will find we don't believe upper management believes any of that for it's own employees. When I first started here the motto was "Take care of the Employees and everything else will fall in line." That is long gone. Now it's "Take care of the share holders at the expensive of the employees." There are still a few people in this company who care. But one by one they are dropping away. Some from retirement but a lot to other positions outside of here.

3. Disappointed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strength of company, community engagement

Cons

Does not value long term employees, low engagement and Senior Management out of touch

RN, case manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, like the flex hours

Cons

$ is sub par, work volume is too much. Lot of chiefs not enough Indians...

Play the game well and you'll be fine

I have been working at The Standard full-time

Pros

We have been told the benefits are on par with other publicly traded companies. CEO and upper management is well compensated. They encourage employee feedback.

Cons

Employee feedback, though encouraged, can be used against you. It is not safe to truly express your feelings unless you have other employment lined up. Beware of feedback solicitation by management. It will likely come back to haunt you.

Advice to Management

Please consider how your words and actions will be perceived by those lower level managers and individual contributors who keep the business moving.

Lot of nce people, some not so, terrible management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Like most anywhere there are a lot of nice people.

Cons

Roles poorly defined. Poor director level and above management. Terrible strategic decision making. The CEO and former CEO have looted the company for millions and now are selling the company. They got theirs.

Advice to Management

Clean house.

Senior executives take all; other employees are burdens

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many public transportation options to downtown location; positions in Tanasbourne are valued by staff residing West of downtown.

Cons

Way too top heavy. CEO and level below significantly overcompensated. Upper management encourages individualism, self promotion over teamwork and instituted a salary policy that underscores this view. The distaste upper management has for lower level employees is palpable. Workplace policies appreciated by the non management staff are discontinued. Stagnant salary for the majority of staff. Very limited training opportunities for the majority of non management staff.

Advice to Management

No point in offering advice. The executive team is steadfast and secure in their approach to maximizing share price: depend on a few stars who will work 24/7 with a goal of being promoted to senior staff. Staff who want to contribute their skills, but do not seek a path of continuous (self) promotion, are not valued. The attitude, reflected in CEO and HR communications and decisions, contributes to the poor morale of staff.

9. Long term employee

Former Employee - Contract Analyst in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Contract Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard (More than 10 years)

Pros

Customer service focus. Good benefits.

Cons

Instability in later years. Less focus on customer service.

The little company that lost its way

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's located in Portland, Oregon. That's it. If you own company stock it's doing well right now.

Cons

Senior management is awful. Salaries are below average. Raises are few and far in between. Managers play favorites - you will notice a few "yes men" and "yes women" getting promoted. You will also notice good co-workers moving on. They're smart: this company has no future.

Advice to Management

Please retire so the next CEO can start clearing out your team of hacks you put into senior management and then start cleaning up your mess.

Buyer Beware

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's pretty easy to get in the door if you're unemployed or otherwise desperate. The pay is okay at entry level, but not a living wage for a single person in Portland. Decent benefits; not overly competitive.

Cons

They start you off at entry level for the most part, which is hourly. They absolutely do not want to pay overtime, so at least you won't get worked to death, but you won't make a living wage if you're a single person. The only way to make a decent income is to move up, which involves taking classes and exams, on your own time, then you can move into a salaried position where you can expect to work 60 hours a week or more to meet their expectations/goals. You will not get a raise unless you can walk on water, but you'll get a 2% bonus on your paltry salary each year if you're lucky and they think you've worked hard enough. In addition to more money, you'll also get an unenthusiastic pat on the back for working 60+ hours week after week after week. We were told in a staff meeting, where some accountant guy came in and told us about the company budget, that the biggest problem was salaries - meaning they have to pay them. I am convinced that as soon as it becomes legal to make people work for food, The Standard will be first to sign up. This is a greedy corporation with the CEO making 300 times what an individual contributor makes and his 11 top "yes" men and one token woman are not far behind. So let's be conservative and say that Greg and his team - 12 people - are together making more than 2,400 of me. If I was a stockholder, I think I'd have a huge problem with this business model. Are salaries the problem? You betcha! Only not mine. . . As a result, the customer service at this joint is going down the tubes, which will affect the business sooner or later. I wouldn't buy stock if I was you.

Advice to Management

Be real leaders. All 12 of the top folks should take drastic pay cuts NOW! No one in this company should be paid more than $1 million a year. Then, start paying staff better wages and hire more people so no one has to work more than 40 hours a week. I won't hold my breath!

RSS Feed </> Embed