The Standard
www.standard.com Portland, OR 1000 to 5000 Employees

The Standard Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014
The Standard – US – “Standard Plaza”

The Standard President & CEO J. Greg Ness

J. Greg Ness

Pros:
  • "Great location in downtown Portland"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Good people, good benefits, fair location"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "The news that layoffs were coming in favor of outsourcing to India was announced by the IT VP a few months ago"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Mid to upper management making poor decisions, big turn over lately"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Executive Asst

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard full-time for more than a year

ProsI had enjoyed the variety of the people in various departments.

ConsVery old school or "good ole boys" type of environment. Don't have a voice or you won't have a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring about your employees', their workload, and lifestyle; rather than your constant A to A+ Ratings. An A- won't kill you, and would also keep jobs available, rather than load up the ones left behind. Try to choose managers with a backbone and can see brown nosing for what it exactly is.....

Great company to work for!

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at The Standard full-time

ProsIts been a while since I've worked there, but, my co-workers were great and have become great friends as well. Great benefits & good place for building your career path - they have a tuition reimbursement plan for school too.

ConsWorking downtown Portland can be difficult to get to & from depending on traffic and where you're coming from.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining and having a career path is always great.

conservative company

I have been working at The Standard

Prosit feels stable and secure

Consbut the work can be boring

A job before a better job.

Absence Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Standard full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat coworkers! Benefits are pretty good, free Trimet passes etc. Downtown work location!

ConsAdvancement is based on favoritism not achivement. TERRIBLE training, even worse IT. Turnover is pretty high as people move on to better paying positions elsewhere in the insurance industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverwork and underpay leads to a brain drain.

Solid Company

I have been working at The Standard full-time for more than a year

ProsIt's a great company with good compensation, some of the best benefits you'll find in Portland, and a lot of room for job growth. The company has recently attracted a lot of talent and I see great things in the future for it.

ConsI'd like it if the dress code was a little more relaxed. I don't interact with customers so why can't I wear jeans on a monday? Though, this is a very minor issue. The company has been great in many aspects and has generous vacation polices and benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to recruit younger talent, take a look at the kind of culture that many tech-startups have. Open workspaces (minimal or no cubicles), and a more casual dress code can greatly increase morale and employee performance.

Great spirit, but almost ready to give up.

Disability Benefits Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Standard full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat community involvement.
Good coworkers
Trying to listen

Conspaper based system
too focused on upper management pay
Upper management is not trustworthy

Advice to Senior Managementif you can't give good raises to employees, don't take huge raises yourself
If you want employees to be engaged, then ask and really care.

Terrible place to work for IT

Lead Programmer-Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Standard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsJust like most places, there are usually good people to be found. If you're fortunate you will have the chance to work with others you enjoy and can learn from.

ConsOutsourcing to India has been a miserable failure. Not an open door policy -- if you speak your mind, you will be punished for it. Those who smile and do nothing innovative are the ones who thrive. The nail that sticks up will get hammered.

Perfectly Mediocre

Employee Benefits (Former Employee)

I worked at The Standard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSome nice people work here

ConsSteady decline since going public. Slowly taking away employee perks and benefits, it's a stock company afterall, and shareholders get the goodies while employees get the shaft. MANY high quality managers and solo performers have left this company over the last ten years. Remaining senior management team is NOT strong. What's worse, there are no internal employees to replace them because they've all been weeded out. Rank and file employees not held in high regard.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire. Now.

So glad I am not there anymore

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at The Standard

ProsIf you don’t work too hard, have no ambition to make the world a better place and don’t rock the boat/stay invisible you have lifetime employment

ConsVery male dominated even though most employees are women – don’t promote women often except for a few token females and when hire senior level roles externally they hire men. It’s generally a mean, passive aggressive place. Lots of smiles to your face but back stabbing is the rule right up to the executive suite. It pays to throw peers under the bus to get ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign

Terrible work environment, and promotion is all about who you know

Disability Benefits Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Standard full-time for more than 8 years

ProsDowntown location, transit subsidy, good coworkers at the "worker bee" level. Recent attempts to increase morale, environment, and growth opportunity (but only after being ripped in an employee engagement survey). Feels good to help people in a time of need.

ConsTerrible work environment - managers are not visible, and when they do, it is simply "smile and nod" as you attempt to interact. Lots of changes over the last few years in the claims department, with little to no input by the individuals actually doing the jobs. When hit with attrition, there was zero replacing employees - they simply added onto the workload and criticized when employees struggled, transitioning into micromanagement at every level. Once Actuarial figured out the impact of the lack of replacement employees on the bottom line, however, there was a rush to hire. Problem - not enough existing employees to train the new hires due to burnout and being overwhelmed with an extremely high workload; this led to even more turnover as new employees left or were fired for poor performance coming out of the training program. Completely acknowledged that it is a 55+ hour a week job and that if you don't have that capacity, you can leave. In fact, that was the managerial tag line for awhile: "Don't like it? Then leave!". Recently changed retiree health program which led to depletion of experienced staff, without the foresight to hire ahead for those losses. Workload approximately 1.5 times what is stated in the job descriptions, with the response being "job descriptions don't mean anything". Dirty cubicles with high levels of dust, shoddy paint, old facilities, and poor morale dominate the internal work environment. Poor technical capacity, with terrible IT support due to recent outsourcing to India - systems crash frequently, leaving users without access to vital systems (even phones) for days; however, employees are then criticized for not keeping up. Pay alll but frozen since 2008 with raises pretty much going only to the top levels (executive level had over a 100% compensation increase last year per SEC filings). Merit does not factor into promotions or job opportunities - it is about who you know (there is a high degree of both spousal and familial relationships at the management level).

Advice to Senior ManagementInvolve your employees in change management, listen to them, and make yourselves visible to show that you actually care more about your stock incentives and bonuses. Consider meaningful salary increases to make up for the years of stagnancy, and do the little things that show you care about those who earn those bonuses for you.

Worked for The Standard? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Standard reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Standard CEO J. Greg Ness . All 78 reviews posted anonymously by The Standard employees.