The Standard

Updated December 19, 2014
2.6

The Standard President & CEO J. Greg Ness
J. Greg Ness

Pros
  • Great location in downtown Portland (in 14 reviews)

• Good people, good benefits, fair location (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Of course, upper management received healthy salary increases while non-management salaries stagnated (in 8 reviews)

• The news that layoffs were coming in favor of outsourcing to India was announced by the IT VP a few months ago (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Stay away... Look elsewhere... This place is poison...

Current Employee - Policy Administrative in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Policy Administrative in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The sense of team and family with your imediate co-workers. Cause at the end of the day you are all in the same sinking boat.

Cons

The Following:

Poor raises regardless of performance
    The class war between the salaried and the hourly employees
    Too much work, not enough people to keep up
    Useless and oblivious upper management that is only concerned with the bottom line
    Poor technology (I.E. Paper files, and 1970's billing systems)
    Poorly written contracts that are hard to administrate
    HR is less concerned with the employee's needs and only out to protect the company
    No advancement oppurtunities, not real ones anyway
    Supervisors picking favorites for open positions, and interviewing people for show
    Completely outdated dress code
    Witch hunts on employees and teams by upper management to attempt to make themselves look better, and or, busy to protect the fact that they are not effective at their own positions.
    Fake bonuses that never meet the standards that they are supposed to
    Extreme cronyism amongst upper managment, HR, and Team Supervisors

The upper management should all quit, and let new people come in. The average raise for the employee's last year was about 1-2%, barely cost of living. The officers of course, all brought home record high salaries and bonuses. They are all posted in Forbes for your review.

The companies values are to always "do the right thing"... After 5 years of employment here, I have yet to see that played out for either the employees, claimants, or customers. It should be do the right thing, as long as it makes the shareholders happy/richer. But I guess that might be too long to fit on a cheap business card.

Has potential but currently limited

Current Employee - Process Claims, Employee Benefits in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Process Claims, Employee Benefits in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits
    Fast paced
    Benefits
    Comrade ride
    Bonus for high performers
    Tuition reimbursement
    Convenient locations

Cons

Transition from privately to publicly owned company creates tension between those who want change and those who want to keep things as they were
    Departments can operate in silos, almos like they don't want to share resources
    Rapid change in leadership and turnover create significant inconsisties

Hire leaders with experience in management

Good supportive company trying to do its best.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at The Standard

Pros

Good benefits and opportunities to move up and into other positions.

Cons

If you work in a production level job, time deadlines and productivity goals are demanding. Professional level positions are quite flexible.

Invest in IT and infrastructure commensurate with competitors.

Stick your head in the sand

Former Employee - Copywriter in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits. Good location. Volunteer culture. Company has a good story to tell. Even the people who love backstabbing office politics are at least polite to your face.

Cons

Top execs have no idea what it's like to work for them. They don't communicate strategy and priorities to the rest of the company. Company has a good story to tell but woe to she who tries to tell it. Marketing rewards mediocrity. Corp Comm and Public Affairs like to pretend that the rest of the company doesn't exist. Sales hates marketing. Marketing doesn't know what sales does. The people in the trenches (particularly claims examiners) are hideously understaffed and overworked.

There's more to life than keeping your head down and squeezing another drop of blood from your employees. Develop empathy. Stand up and tell the world the Standard exists, or at least tell Portland, because when I used to say I worked for the Standard, most people thought I meant the toilet manufacturer.

Went from 5 to 1 in a year.

Current Employee - Staff Assistant II in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Staff Assistant II in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The location is great! Lots of food choices, and after hours fun. Overall, people are engaging, helpful and easy to work with. For an insurance company, they pay better than most.

Cons

My manager is scattered, and does not really know how to manage well. An example to this situation: When we are short staffed, due to vacation or illness, the manager thinks it's the right time to cross train people during this time. This behavior is consistent and many examples abound. Going to their boss is not an option as there is a 'club' among them.

The company also revised its benefit plan for the 2015 year, but rolled out this information a couple of days after their company giving campaign ended; leaving many people feeling betrayed. Since the affected benefits are vacation related, many people were making their 2014 vacation plans on the old policy, only to be surprised with this information a couple of weeks before enrollment of the 2015 year. Lots of unhappy employees because of this change.

Upper management is its own club. They are 'untouchable' in that I don't feel like I can go to them. Going to HR is also out of the question as the employee looks disgruntled. I truly feel like I could do a better job at organizing and making big-picture decisions than my boss. If there is someone causing a high turn-over, their practices should be examined.

Balanced & Rewarding

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Immense opportunities for growth, an affordable and solid benefits package inclusive of health and dental insurance and transit subsidies, time and opportunities to volunteer within the community, pay scale is well within the market range, many extra perks such as classes, resource groups, and activities for professional growth, support and networking. When I was looking for a new job, and got hired on at The Standard I can solidly say from my research and experience that The Standards pay and benefits are very much in line with, and even a bit better than the majority of what is out there.

Cons

Nothing from the company itself is negative in my book. There are the challenges you can encounter in any workplace that relate more to the dynamics of team work, cohesion, professional communications, etc. that come down to individual behavior and approach rather than company policy and procedure.

I appreciate managements approachability and communication.

Look elsewhere is you expect hard work, great job reviews and expertise to pay off.

I worked at The Standard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are very nice people.

Cons

Hard work is not valued if you don't know the right people. Doesn't promote from within or reward exceptional work, unless you are in the "right circles". Upper management is overpaid and underworked, and middle management is underpaid and overworked.

Stop the nepotism and back door promotions; hard working individuals get paid much less than people higher up who virtually do nothing. It is no secret that many wonder what some very well compensated people even do at all. Upper management is fraught with cronyism. Surveys are only given lip service. Work overtime and deliver exceptional results? Don't expect to advance more than a paltry 2% per year with a measly bonus even when you get an exceptional review. HR is fine with this. Your employees sacrifice their family time and quality of life to deliver the requirements of their jobs. If people excel they should be compensated.

Good people working hard to support poorly thought out strategies.

I have been working at The Standard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are a lot of good people at The Standard who work hard to provide good service to their customers and really want to do the right thing. The benefits and compensation packages are fair. The locations are decent and the company's involvement in the community is admirable.

Cons

The lack of strategic thinking at the senior levels has led to snowballing problems.Years of kicking the can down the road on technology projects has caught up with the company. A lack of focus on and investments in the core business has led to competitive disadvantages and no clear USP for any of the product lines. And staff reductions, benefit cuts and outsourcing of key functions have led to a brain drain and a lack of confidence among remaining employees.

You really need to learn the difference between strategy and tactics. A well defined strategy helps you focus on what you will do--- and as importantly, what you will not. The lack of a clear strategy and myriad tactical projects competing for resources have left people feeling overwhelmed and disheartened. Many people, particularly those in middle management who have enough visibility into goings on to get a good sense of the situation, wonder about the long-term viability of the company. It is time to take a realistic look at the projects under way, the service being provided to customers and the technology that supports everything and make some serious decisions about what you are going to continue to do going forward.

Great if you keep your mouth shut

Current Employee - Contact Center Representative in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Contact Center Representative in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are good people here, some growth potential if you start off low, supportive leadership for the most part.

Cons

Poor work-life balance, schedule inflexibility if working in the contact center, there can be very low morale at times, 1 praise for 10 criticisms, way too much gossip and back-stabbing.

Be more flexible. We don't live to work; we work to live.

Salary

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at The Standard

Pros

Great experience. Lots of responsibilities that grow one

Cons

Upward Mobility constraints.
    Unprofessional HR