The Standard Reviews

Updated September 28, 2014
2.5

The Standard President & CEO J. Greg Ness
J. Greg Ness

Pros
  • Great location in downtown Portland (in 15 reviews)

• The downtown Portland location is excellent for commuting by public transport (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Of course, upper management received healthy salary increases while non-management salaries stagnated (in 8 reviews)

• The news that layoffs were coming in favor of outsourcing to India was announced by the IT VP a few months ago (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Slowly Getting Worse

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard for more than 3 years

Pros

Enjoyed some of my fellow employees.

Cons

My first insurance industry experience, but: Management seemed amateurish; lots of "people managers" and not enough actual workers or employees with technical knowhow. I was told the head of the company came from HR which I couldn't picture happening in another industry. Lacking Strategic direction. When I looked for employment elsewhere, I learned from several potential employers they weren't impressed by Standard employees because of the lack of training and experience received while at the Standard. A year after leaving, and working for a "real" corporation, I think they were right. Finally, NOT a place for high energy employees who want to gain experience and move ahead.

Early retire anyone?

Solid with Issues

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Location in Downtown Portland. Depending on the area you work in, the hours and stress level can be reasonable for a corporate environment, but can't say that is consistent across all areas of the company. The company also has a very strong record for charitable giving/community involvement, though the genuineness of these efforts has lessened over the years, and it seems to be losing prominence in that regard to some other local companies. Not sure if they do it still, but they used to provide "summer hours," which meant the week ended early afternoon during the summer.

Cons

The Company has slowly evolved into just another mid-tier publicly traded financial services company managed according to the whims of Wall Street Analysts. Management seems to overreact to short-term quarterly results. Lots of outsourced functions and staff reductions in the last couple of years. Of course, upper management received healthy salary increases while non-management salaries stagnated. The company seems to make little effort to distinguish itself as an employer of choice in the Portland market.

Listen to your employees. Don't pretend that employees don't notice and resent the disparities in comp between upper management and typical employees.

Review

Current Employee - National Accounts Customer Support  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - National Accounts Customer Support in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time for more than a year

Pros

work-life balance
    values
    career advancement opportunities if you seek them out and you are a hard worker
    good coworkers

Cons

Not a very innovative culture
    Pay isn't the greatest
    Been through some tough times recently

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

conservative company

I have been working at The Standard

Pros

it feels stable and secure

Cons

but the work can be boring

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at The Standard full-time

Pros

Its been a while since I've worked there, but, my co-workers were great and have become great friends as well. Great benefits & good place for building your career path - they have a tuition reimbursement plan for school too.

Cons

Working downtown Portland can be difficult to get to & from depending on traffic and where you're coming from.

Training and having a career path is always great.

Executive Asst

Former Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard full-time for more than a year

Pros

I had enjoyed the variety of the people in various departments.

Cons

Very old school or "good ole boys" type of environment. Don't have a voice or you won't have a job.

Start caring about your employees', their workload, and lifestyle; rather than your constant A to A+ Ratings. An A- won't kill you, and would also keep jobs available, rather than load up the ones left behind. Try to choose managers with a backbone and can see brown nosing for what it exactly is.....

Awful place to work.

I worked at The Standard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Downtown location.
    Community involvement. Flex time.
    There are a few good people left that work there, most have left though.

Cons

This company does not care about employees. The Standard's motto is " Do The Right Thing" - and sells it as a promise to customers, however, they treat the employees (who are supposed to fulfill that promise) poorly. The stress and workload are terrible. Burnout is common.

The Standard gives the board members and executives large pay increases, while eliminating 100 positions and closing offices around the country.

The Standard has consistently been cutting employee benefits and incentives over the last decade. They do not value employees and have lost experienced and valuable employees in the last few years.

The Standard is a completely paper environment and are behind in IT and systems (a decade or so?) compared to other carries. There are constant IT issues that interrupt daily work.

You only get promoted if you know the right people.

Care about your employees!!! Provide incentives! Try and stand out as a reputable place to work instead of telling your employees that you are cutting another benefit to "align yourself with competitors." Get your employees engaged in their work.

Middle management needs to retire and this company desperately needs fresh perspectives in leading this company.

A job before a better job.

Current Employee - Absence Coordinator  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Absence Coordinator in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers! Benefits are pretty good, free Trimet passes etc. Downtown work location!

Cons

Advancement is based on favoritism not achivement. TERRIBLE training, even worse IT. Turnover is pretty high as people move on to better paying positions elsewhere in the insurance industry.

Overwork and underpay leads to a brain drain.

Great spirit, but almost ready to give up.

Current Employee - Disability Benefits Analyst  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Disability Benefits Analyst in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great community involvement.
    Good coworkers
    Trying to listen

Cons

paper based system
    too focused on upper management pay
    Upper management is not trustworthy

if you can't give good raises to employees, don't take huge raises yourself
    If you want employees to be engaged, then ask and really care.

Solid Company

I have been working at The Standard full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a great company with good compensation, some of the best benefits you'll find in Portland, and a lot of room for job growth. The company has recently attracted a lot of talent and I see great things in the future for it.

Cons

I'd like it if the dress code was a little more relaxed. I don't interact with customers so why can't I wear jeans on a monday? Though, this is a very minor issue. The company has been great in many aspects and has generous vacation polices and benefits.

If you want to recruit younger talent, take a look at the kind of culture that many tech-startups have. Open workspaces (minimal or no cubicles), and a more casual dress code can greatly increase morale and employee performance.

The Standard Photos

Standard Plaza

+ Add Photo

Worked for The Standard? Contribute to the Community!