The Standard

Updated December 19, 2014
2.5

The Standard President & CEO J. Greg Ness
J. Greg Ness

Pros
  • Great location in downtown Portland (in 14 reviews)

• Good people, good benefits, fair location (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Of course, upper management received healthy salary increases while non-management salaries stagnated (in 8 reviews)

• The news that layoffs were coming in favor of outsourcing to India was announced by the IT VP a few months ago (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Things are looking up - lots of opportunity.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company demonstrating clarity of vision and opportunities. Technology adoption and deployment is increasing and getting more frequent. Flexible work opportunities and a great downtown location.

Cons

Economy is still concerning. Management needs to continue to clarify the vision and drive change adoption. Performance management is key.

Drive and reward good performance. Recognize that you need to move out lower performers to really drive change and seize opportunities.

Great employer

Former Employee - Employee Benefits Service Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Employee Benefits Service Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at The Standard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Standard truly shows support for corporate values throughout the organization. It's not just talking the talk, every department walks the walk.

Cons

Lots of balls in the air in terms of process and standards, thus a recent reorganization.

Focus on the talent you currently have in staff, you might be surprised by the hidden gems you can discover.

Great company but tough times are impacting results and moral

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Long term focus, great history, new Sales VP who is willing to change things up, great distribution network potential, top ten performer

Cons

Tough to articulate and execute a strategy, non-competitive in many market segments, lack innovation in products, experiencing higher turnover and position reductions

Take risks before becoming irrelevant

Nice Work Environment

Former Employee - Participant Education Consultant
    Former Employee - Participant Education Consultant

I worked at The Standard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere with opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Very "left-coast" company. Not necessarily a con.

n/a

Short, but nice.

Former Employee - Sourcer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sourcer in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great team. Downtown. Comfortable space. Was there only nine days so, not there long enough to cover all the pros. But was looking forward to becoming part of the team there.

Cons

Contract to hire ended too soon.

Nothing at this time. My immediate manager was great!

Weathering the storm

I have been working at The Standard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Standard cares about people. I have personally seen how this company has helped many employees with personal situations and allowed them the necessary flexibility to take care of their families. (Nursed a loved one through 2 rounds of cancer treatments, the unexpected loss of a family member, and divorce). Life is life and if you give to The Standard, they give right back. I have lots of flexibility and independence. I love it.

We have so many avenues to get infront of leadership and hear what they have to say. Comments on organization announcements, the bubble, Coffee with our CEO, engagement events, President's forum, team meetings...you name it! We are active givers in the community. It is engrained in our values and mission. I love our benefits, PTO, good medical/dental/vision, match on 401k, and much more. This company even lets you buy more PTO if you want.....GEEZ! I have an open door with my manager, and my skip level and my Executive. If you want to say something all you have to do is raise your hand.

Cons

We are an insurance company that is slow to change. The good and bad with having good longevity is that some people just want to do it the way it has always been done. That is challenging when you are creative or innovative and want to create change and efficiency. If you have enough patience and persistence you can influence eventually, but it may take a while. We have some inefficient, archaic systems and processes. I wished there was more opportunity for movement. There are short term assignments and projects and you can volunteer for anything, but not always a move to another area.

Although I have a great experience, the overall culture depends on your department. That is not abnormal but we are disjointed and inconsistent in our message.

You have to move quicker. Don't get stagnant. Educate our managers on flexibility, motivation and empowerment.

Stability

Current Employee - Supervisor in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've worker here for about 20 years, through ups and downs, demutualization, recession, etc and it has always been a solid company to work for.

Cons

Things have changed over the years; not always for the good. Annual raises for the past 4 years have been low or zero. Staff reductions have resulted in more work for everyone, with not much more pay.

Share the wealth.

Good place to work--at a stately pace

Current Employee - Senior Individual Contributor -- IT in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Individual Contributor -- IT in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really nice people, good pay, considerate management, good benefits, flexible schedules, nice downtown location--for those in Portland Home Office.

Cons

Company is very slow to embrace change and adopt best practices. People seem to be resigned to the fact that The Standard has limited ability to excel or achieve breakthrough progress.

Create a clear vision for the future that everyone can get behind, and then drive execution.

Enjoyed the experience, just found something better so moved on

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture of conservatism appropriate for insurance organization

Cons

Slow moving
    Not a great deal of career opportunity for those inclined to push through the ranks

Solid in general, some are as yet untested and somewhat unsure of themselves

Good, challenging, fast-paced, lots of work, long hours

Former Employee - Disability Benefits Analyst in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Disability Benefits Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard

Pros

Rewards and recognizing talent, stock plan option for all employees, some really supportive supervisors, and always work to be done.

Cons

Running on limited employees, work loads increasing without relief in sight, some unsupportive supervisors, long hours expected, and making hard decisions impacting people.

Staff for normal work loads, continue recognition programs from co-workers and management, find and train the unsupportive supervisors, and expect great work with hard decisions to be completed within 8 hour day.

The Standard Photos