The Standard Reviews

Updated September 5, 2014
2.5

The Standard President & CEO J. Greg Ness
J. Greg Ness

Pros
  • Great location in downtown Portland (in 13 reviews)

• Good people, good benefits, fair location (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Of course, upper management received healthy salary increases while non-management salaries stagnated (in 8 reviews)

• The news that layoffs were coming in favor of outsourcing to India was announced by the IT VP a few months ago (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Used to be a good company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good people, good benefits, fair location

Cons

Morale has been on the down slide for the last few years. Mid to upper management making poor decisions, big turn over lately

Pay attention to why the turnover, listen to employee's, toss the toxicity

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"

I have been working at The Standard full-time

Pros

*Company has been very humane during recent layoffs, providing decent severance packages and outplacement services.
    *Generous PTO policy.
    *HQ is in a nice downtown location.
    *Most employees are well educated and sincerely want to make the company successful.
    *Claims department does a great job despite being understaffed and inundated.
    *Claims are paid in a timely manner and using ethical standards.

Cons

*As many have said, company culture is passive-aggressive.
    *People are labeled as having "poor attitudes" when they express a contrary opinion. Once branded, there is no salvaging your career.
    *Conflict ("negativity") is discouraged, which means creativity and risk taking die. Workers keep their heads down to protect their jobs.
    *H.R. is there to protect the company, not to help employees, and some H.R. staff appear annoyed when they have to deal with employee issues.
    *Some leaders use fear as a management strategy. Without a safe environment for discussion and honest communication, morale and productivity plummet.
    *There are constant reorgs in some departments, leading to lost productivity and lack of vision.
    *Many leaders are not seen as trustworthy by their direct reports, and this is warranted.
    *Company is slow to react to economic realities and changes in the business environment, and hasn't invested in needed technology infrastructure to support growth and change.
    *Company invests in stupid ventures without doing their homework, while not investing in core business to stay competitive.
    *Cronyism runs rampant - the best way to be promoted is to befriend someone in power.
    *"Talent Management" is a joke. There is plenty of talent, but people are not encouraged to move around the company to learn new things. Smart people languish while managers hire and promote their buddies.
    *Employees work long hours while some VPs arrive at 9 and leave at 4.

Get out of the ivory tower and actually walk around so you can meet/talk to employees on the front lines. This will only work if you make it safe for them to tell you what's really going on in the company without retaliation; otherwise they'll just tell you that everything is "fine." Hint: it's not. Quit hiring and promoting narcissistic bullies who don't "care about people" and only know how to manage up. Settle on a company strategy and have the balls to communicate your vision and invest wisely toward the goals you've set.

Solid company with a strong grasp on employee appreciation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management is appreciative of their workforce

Cons

Can take awhile to advance out of positions within the company.

Maintain the benefits packages and employee appreciation incentives, and the workforce will reciprocate with high quality products.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Short, but nice.

Former Employee - Sourcer  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sourcer in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great team. Downtown. Comfortable space. Was there only nine days so, not there long enough to cover all the pros. But was looking forward to becoming part of the team there.

Cons

Contract to hire ended too soon.

Nothing at this time. My immediate manager was great!

Stability

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've worker here for about 20 years, through ups and downs, demutualization, recession, etc and it has always been a solid company to work for.

Cons

Things have changed over the years; not always for the good. Annual raises for the past 4 years have been low or zero. Staff reductions have resulted in more work for everyone, with not much more pay.

Share the wealth.

An insurance company should not be publicly traded.

Current Employee - Benefits  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Benefits in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Standard has done a great job hiring smart, experienced and well-balanced people at the lower levels.

Cons

As the company is publicly traded we are always having to answer to the shareholders and the bottom line. What drives us isn't always about what is best for the company as a whole, but what is more profitable.

You have a smart, educated and experienced workforce, use them! Decisions are being made from the top, but the people who are making these decisions are so far removed from the things they are making decisions regarding, it is almost ridiculous when we hear what they have come up with. One problem I see that influences this is there are too many layers of middle management. A few layers of middle management needs to be done away with so people who are making process and procedural changes are working more closely with the people who are actually carrying out the work.

The Standard is awful for IT jobs!

Current Employee - Data Analyst  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can get away with doing nothing.

Cons

No accountability, passive-aggressive, better to be nice than to be productive, software is all ancient and out of support.

Quit and get some people there with balls, especially David ??? the CIO!

Extremely poor management. It's all about who you're friends with in order to advance in your career

Former Employee - RFP Specialist  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - RFP Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great location in downtown Portland.

Cons

As I said before, poor management practices (at all levels).

Take some management classes at a nearby college or university.

Great

Current Employee - QA Intern  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - QA Intern in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Interesting projects, great people to work with

Cons

old systems, compensation can be better

have like a leadership program

Not a competitive company overall

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard full-time

Pros

–Upper management communicates with employees at all levels. Multiple times management would walk around my floor and asked me how things were going and so forth. This is rare...

Cons

–Cronyism to the maximum in this place. It literally pissed a lot of people off. In my tenure there, I saw a person get hired for another internal position after just 6 months of working there (there's an established 1 year minimum to apply). A woman got promoted to manager after less than a year of being there, but she was the wife of an upper management executive. I also saw a person get promoted 2-3 times from taking photographs to a higher marketing position in less than 14 months. These are just some cases from a long list of crazy promotions and things that went on there.

–Compensation is extremely low compared to competitors, below average in my career area. I got a 1% performance bonus, that is ridiculous.

–Meetings, meetings and more meetings: The culture seems to be around meetings–at least in my area–and the time wasted in meetings is just inconceivable. I have not seen anything like that anywhere else.

–Talent is not recognized. I worked with people that had degrees nowhere close to the educational preparation required, and their mistakes were covered up by managers for the sake of who knows what. Some people were afraid of technical skills and preferred keeping it simple even when that couldn't be done to answer the questions needed to be answered.

Recognize the talent and skills needed for the team to succeed, don't settle for less than that. Don't be afraid about holding people accountable and avoid wasting time in meaningless meetings.

Worked for The Standard? Contribute to the Community!