The Standard Reviews

Neutral to positive

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard

Pros

Nice people to work with Lots of opportunity for systems improvement Support from business management Good recognition

Cons

Not great remuneration Job instability becasue of various sourcing factors

Advice to Management

Leadership is honest to the companies goals. That is definitely appreciatable. Leadership should look at the possibilities to make the processes lightweight to generate more output.

They have a ways to go.

Current Employee - Analyst/Account Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Analyst/Account Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard

Pros

The best thing about working at The Standard is that I am employed and have medical benefits. The people who work here are well-meaning, good-natured and generally very nice. The company is community minded and has a fabulous charitable giving campaign and philosophy.

Cons

Compensation for my career and training is far below industry standard. I have been told that the low pay is made up for by the ability to balance work and home. Not really true. There is a sad tendency to promote individuals to just above the level of competency. I have seen it in many areas in the company. Very sad.

Advice to Management

Keep trying to bring the company out of the Dark Ages into the Modern World. Perhaps you will succeed. Keep lines of communication open. Greg Ness seems to be personable and bright. Some of his choices for senior management have been sad, however.

Hey if you want to work hard and get little pay or a bonus this job could be for you....

I have been working at The Standard

Pros

Great people to work with and in my time my supervisors have been good to excellent. As a large insurance company based in Oregon they have lots of opportunities out of the home office if you live here. You don't have to relocate back east or to the midwest like most large insurers. They are a good, solid and conservative run company and this can be a good thing. They have good sound underwriting practices and don't take on a whole lot of risk by underselling to land a bigger group. As long as they run their business like then have been the future is bright for them....

Cons

however if they keep running things like they are they will have a hollow analyst pool in the future. Literally for the last 2+ years we are expected to manage a desk of 2 people. Errors are common as people are too busy to pay attention. Many experienced and long time analysts and claims handlers are burned out and will be leaving. when your bread and butter is your claims (and experience) these are the types of people you cannot afford to run off yet they have been doing so for some time. Minimal raises and a weak bonus program are not enough incentives to keep the bulk of your workforce happy. You want us to handle the amount of work we are doing perhaps a more generous incentive program would be recommended. When 3/4 quarters have been downgraded due to unfavorable claims experience perhaps instead of creating a new fluff layer of mgmt try understanding the work loads you place on people. Management would rather pay back performance guarantees then hire more people...

Advice to Management

Does Sr management actually understand the work loads of their employees?? Do they understand the consequences of new policies and procedures as many of these new procedures burden us even more. Perhaps they do but they sure don't explain this to the employees. Supervisors are well aware of the needs yet they are burned out too and know help won't be coming.

It's OK if you are satisfied with the status quo

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard

Pros

Good benefits. Lots of opportunity for advancement. Great internal training opportunities. A lot of exposure to more advanced enterprise technologies. Honest seeming to care for employees.

Cons

Very stuck in what is - change adverse. Says they want change then fight against it. Passive aggressive culture leads to a ton of back room dealing and decisions in a vacuum. Extreme difficulty making decisions - everyone must agree (consensus). Aging technology backbone. Outsourcing significant portions of IT with little confidence of success.

Advice to Management

Don't hire people for expertise then tell them not to voice opinions. Must change passive aggressive culture in order to succeed long term.

This is a congenial, easygoing company environment.

I have been working at The Standard

Pros

The people are generally cheerful and helpful. The downtown Portland location is excellent for commuting by public transport. Operating a conservative strategy has sustained the company well during the recent shocks to the financial industry.

Cons

Steady turnover of the best and brightest continues to impair our practical effectiveness. Improvements to operations seem to bypass the actual roots of the challenges and instead treat aspects that are secondary or even superficial.

Advice to Management

Senior management can help by being more aggressive in developing refinements to our existing practices first, and pursuing new endeavors second.

Extremely poor management. It's all about who you're friends with in order to advance in your career

Former Employee - RFP Specialist in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - RFP Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location in downtown Portland.

Cons

As I said before, poor management practices (at all levels).

Advice to Management

Take some management classes at a nearby college or university.

Great Mutual company that transformed into an "Okay" public company

Current Employee - Actuarial Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Actuarial Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Deep roots in the community Conservative

Cons

Shrinking currently Benfit erosion since becoming a public company

Advice to Management

Return to being a mutual company--people seemed to really love this place back then.

Was a good employer, things have been going downhill the last few years.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Allows flexible work hours, good work location in downtown Portland, Customer Service and Retirement Plans are better areas in the company to work in.

Cons

A lot of complaining/poor morale in the claims area. You have to pay for parking or a bus pass if you work downtown.

Advice to Management

Few chances for advancement in the benefits area.

10. Good

I worked at The Standard

Pros

Good products and good service

Cons

Leadership tends to be weak in field offices

Great spirit, but almost ready to give up.

Current Employee - Disability Benefits Analyst in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great community involvement. Good coworkers Trying to listen

Cons

paper based system too focused on upper management pay Upper management is not trustworthy

Advice to Management

if you can't give good raises to employees, don't take huge raises yourself If you want employees to be engaged, then ask and really care.

RSS Feed </> Embed