The Sterling Group Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
CEO

1. Not the best, but definitely not the worst!

I have been working at The Sterling Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fair pay scale - Vacation and Holiday Benefits - Great on-site team - Employee recognition/ Growth potential - Personable Upper Management - Corporate training courses, great tools to succeed for office positions Coming from another Management company that cared nothing about their employees, I find Sterling to be a nice change. If you are a hard worker and do your job well, Management does acknowledge it. Though visits and encounters are few and far between, when corporate employees are on site they do take the time to recognize you and make you feel like you are important to them.

Cons

I'm one to like structure, so reporting does not bother me all too much. The more frustrating aspect of the reports is the fact that they don't seem to be read, and then it feels like busy work at times. I think cons will vary depending on what property you work for. Working at an older community, we would love to see some more money put into the property. When you work on site long enough, it starts to feel like your second home. There is a lot of potential to be had and we are just not putting in the funds to get it there. The disconnect and opinions on what each property "needs" can be trying. Maintenance will forever be understaffed. In this day and age when people want things right away, the calculation of having one maintenance person per 100 units is slightly absurd. This is especially ridiculous when maintenance members are expected to do work orders, apartment turns, snow removal, etc. all in-house. Micromanaging is definitely an issue. It makes your job a lot harder when you have to ask several people for permission to do one thing. The time that this consumes causes chain reactions of stress for not only the employees, but the residents.

Advice to Management

As Sterling knows, they have some excellent employees. Make sure they have the tools they need to succeed (and help YOU succeed), and consider their concerns with an open mind.

2. Very Stressful, Severely Micromanaged, understaffed environment. Work, life, balance motto is a complete joke.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at The Sterling Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have no pros at this time.

Cons

Not truthful about the work load during interview Too many reports that take away from you doing the actual job and take away from customer service. You have kick the residents out the office because corporate has literally about 6 reports to do weekly that have a bout 12 tabs in each which makes the resident feel you don't care. Expected to stretch a nickel into $25 dollars No such thing as a 1 person property with the workload given Managers use fear tactics to "encourage" you Demeaning occupancy & delinquency call meetings that are supposed to make you accountable but they don't Honestly this has got to be the property management experience I've ever had and I've been in residential property management for over 10 years If you like a good nights sleep, wrong company to work for. If you have a life or family wrong company to work for. If you enjoy stress and daily management calls this is the company for you. If you enjoy emails from your manager all hours of the night including weekends, this is the place for you. If you enjoy being management and residents punching bag this is the place for you. There are 24 hours in a day and Sterling expects 22 of those from you. I've personally had to work 6 days a week for almost 3 months straight as a Salaried employee. Not to mention the countless reports I have to do at home. My manager told me since your office is busy just tend to the residents at work and do your other work at home. I've never had to work constantly from home. So therefore I know this is unreasonable.

Advice to Management

Tailor the workflow based on environment. It's okay to have a company outline just know that it must be tweaked based on the environment. McDonalds is McDonalds throughout the world but they are successful because they are first of all well staffed and change there menu based upon the area they are in. Can you truly have one person cook the food, take out the trash, wipe, the tables, run the drive thru, run the lobby, order the supplies, mop the floors, do the payroll, train the staff, work every shift and expect them to be 100% at everything. It's impossible this is the same way property management should be approached. Every on staff employee I've spoken to who currently work for the company and previously work the company feels the same way but afraid to say so because they have families to feed. Shame on you all for treating employees this way. We are stretched then and want to enjoy the holidays just like upper management does. Listen to your employees and residents. Also quit building tax credit housing tailoring to low income families and not giving them a grace period on their rent. It's unfair and Scrooge-like!!! Residents are feed up!

3. Not the best

I have been working at The Sterling Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Regional Director Fun work environment Flexible work schedule Team atmosphere with on-site staff

Cons

Corporate micromanages too much Not much support to on-site staff Crappy health insurance Low pay Excessive amount of reports

Advice to Management

The over all culture is great but seems to only benefit corporate employees. On-site teams are not supported very well by the marketing department, HR department, Payables, Regional Vice Presidents, etc. There seems to be a horrible disconnect. On-site teams are constantly asked to do unnecessary reports, procedures, follow silly policies, etc. so are not able to do their real job. Only support given is by Regional Directors and Area Managers. Other companies are all about supporting the on-site staff as much as possible. These are the people in the line of fire every day, who work the hardest, and who really have the toughest job. Without supported on-site staff, there is no company. I have seen other companies actually take their corporate employees to the sites so they can see what on-site staff have to do every day.

5. Great company for those who enjoy hard work!

Current Employee - Regional Director in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Regional Director in Detroit, MI

I have been working at The Sterling Group (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunities for advancement when you achieve results. Good 401K plan. Company owners treat you 'like family'. Annual Recognition events.

Cons

Training available for 'beginners'. Limited job growth in Midwest. Expanding in the Southeast.

6. Very structured and fun

Current Employee - Leasing Agent in Haslett, MI
    Current Employee - Leasing Agent in Haslett, MI

I have been working at The Sterling Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Structured Relaxing Atmosphere Great managers Nice People Unlimited Coffee

Cons

Corporate micromanages a lot Not the best pay No the best benefits All of the different reports

7. Not what I expected - based on what I was told during the interviews.

Former Employee - Field Management
    Former Employee - Field Management

I worked at The Sterling Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any.

Cons

Upper management should be replaced.

RSS Feed </> Embed