The Storage Group

4 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
3.3
Brian Pelski

1. Give More. Enjoy More. And, Be Sure to Prune the Diversions...

Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer
    Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer

I have been working at The Storage Group full-time

Pros

I am the CEO of TSG and recently read a daily motivational from Givemore.com. Their tagline is "Give More. Enjoy More”. They are behind the 212 degrees movement. "212° is the extra degree can help you inspire people to embrace the value of the extra effort and attention that goes into creating great results."

That really says it all and certainly reminds me of the business, team, vision and culture we are building at TSG. I would call that a "Pro" for working at The Storage Group.

Here’s the what Givemore.com actually posted...

“Prune the Diversions. Prune. Not the fruit. The verb. To prune a tree is to remove the branches and shoots that don't serve its growth and vigor. A diseased branch or low-performing shoot not only does not serve the tree – it drains the energy that can be used elsewhere – the energy that can produce more fruit, more flowers, and stronger branches.

Removing just two diversions from your life each week eliminates more than 100 distractions from what's most important to you. Prune the diversions ... twice weekly.

Cons

The only con I know is that it's really hard to prune diversions because of the time and effort that goes into building relations with folks. Think about it... we spend more time with our work team than our own families each work day. So, it's really a sad day when we have to prune diversions since we really give folks the opportunity to succeed and a tremendous amount of flexibility in schedules.

Make no mistake, we expect a lot from our team but we offer near unlimited resources to perform, grow, learn, etc. Employees are encouraged to SEEK out and ATTEND educational opportunities, LOOK for new tools and programs to help them perform or become more efficient, or BRING on additional labor (in-house or contract). Notice the all the proactive verbs in the last sentence. That's the key! A successful team member of The Storage Group is a collaborative minded, self starter who wants to grow, learn, excel, and serve the client on our team. He or she is a "CAN DO", "WILL DO", "GLASS HALF FULL" person.

Advice to Management

Continue building a CAN DO, collaborative minded, self starter, team of folks that want to serve clients...and compensate them commensurate with their successes!

Outdated methods, disorganization and nepotism

I worked at The Storage Group full-time

Pros

The Storage Group has a great group of employees with amazing personalities. The culture and family like atmosphere between this group is amazing outside of the upper management level. The only ones that hurt this culture is the upper management team. Since the CEO rarely shows up at the office, and the COO works remote from a different state, employees to create their positive, enjoyable culture.

This company attempts to implement a tech company culture. They allow an occasional movie on the projector while you work, some company paid lunches (rare) and beer while working (which you will absolutely need).

Cons

The Storage Group often makes rash decisions without any thought being put into them. An idea will pop into senior management's head and will be implemented by the end of the day without any research, thought or planning throwing all departments into a whirlwind. When these changes do not work out, management will refuse to admit their mistake and rather than switch things back, just blame others for their mistakes.

Due to senior management being completely remote, all communication is done via email. Daily, senior management will berate employees over email, often for mistakes that were made by management without regards to any real facts. Often, the positive atmosphere of the company is crushed by an onslaught of emails, one after another of an employee trying to defend themselves with facts. Their style of management is intimidation and threats.

Equipment and tools used are aging. Computers provided to employees are bargain basement machines, found on sale and lowest price. Breakdowns are often. Due to services provided by this company, special software and tools are required. Rather than provide these tools, the company chooses to use the bare minimum, even if it means providing a lower quality product. This level of frugalism goes all the way down to the chairs employees sit in. If you want a chair without bolts poking into you, or decent office supplies or a computer that works, you will need to provide your own on your dime.

Nepotism runs rapid within this organization. Over half of the employees are related to each other in one way or another. Non-family employees get replaced with family members that have fewer skills than the one they are replacing. These family members work their way up the ladder, even when their performance is lackluster.

It was common place weekly to find several employees breaking down into tears from emails sent by senior management. Employees are not trusted and not treated with any respect.

As one other mentioned, this company uses outdated tactics for SEO. When advise is given to improve the tactics, it is often denied due to cost or resource constraints.

Each employee is beyond maxed out and ran at redline to accomplish tasks. While middle management begs and pleads with Senior Management for more resources, they are ignored or told to figure out to accomplish their tasks with what they have.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to treat their employees with respect. Employees are willing to give so much more to a company that they care about. Prior to a certain individual moving into power, employees were bought into the success of the company and strived daily to make it something better. Now, employees strive to do everything in their power to not be yelled at that day.

The Storage Group Response

May 26, 2015Marketing Director

Thank you for your review of the Storage Group. Your feedback is very important to us and has been taken to heart. We want to make sure our company continues to thrive in the industry and to provide ... More

Small company with fast growth. Family oriented, flexible and fun!

I have been working at The Storage Group

Pros

Opportunity for advancement, periodic travel to fun locations, Las Vegas, Washington D.C., San Antonio etc for Trade Shows. Flexible schedule, capability to work remote. Fun people to work with, team lunches, movie and pizza days and other holiday celebrations.

Cons

Growing faster than we are able to hire for. Can have periods of high workload followed by nothing.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in your people and consider quarterly bonuses!

Great place to work -- if you're in the club.

I worked at The Storage Group full-time

Pros

Relaxed office environment, central office location.

Cons

Outdated practices, "club" like office culture, no benefits, cramped office.

Advice to Management

If TSG wants to stay in business they need to reassess their offerings. The face of SEO is rapidly changing and their marketing strategies are outdated, just like their websites.

The Storage Group Response

May 26, 2015Marketing Director

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate all reviews as they can only make us better. We are sorry that you felt that your work environment was “club like” and cramped. The intention by our ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed