The Substitute Teacher Service

3.8
CEO

1. Substitute Teacher

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Lancaster, PA

Pros

Working for the Sub Service provides a teacher with valuable experience. This is experience that will open doors to permanent positions in the future.

Cons

There's nothing wrong with the Sub Service. Just know that one needs very thick skin to be a substitute teacher. Do you remember how you treated subs in your school? Well, take that and multiply it by 100 and you'll have an idea how you'll often be treated by the students. Never let them smell fear.

2. Great company, but employees need to unionize

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at The Substitute Teacher Service part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a great flexible job while you wait for your real job. Make sure you get the phone app though (that you have to pay for) or it's really hard to get work.

Cons

Low pay and no real benefits. I don't think it's really their fault, as it depends on what districts are willing to pay for subs. Subs need to unionize together and form a union or get the already existing teacher's unions to encompass subs, because subs are teachers too and should be making more than below subsistence wages with no benefits.

Advice to Management

Help your employees unionize to drive up the payscale the districts will pay for subs.

3. It's what you make of it

Current Employee - Emergency Cert Substitute in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Emergency Cert Substitute in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at The Substitute Teacher Service part-time

Pros

STS levels the playing field for subs in districts. No more calling the daughter of the office lady. We're all equal here. Whenever I have a need for a question to be answered by a person, STS has helpful people on the phone.

Cons

Lots of clearances, etc. Takes effort to get yourself set up with an app, etc.

Need improvement

Pros

I like the flexibility. I can take a day off for appointments if needed. I have tje experience of working in different schools.

Cons

Some of the teachers are not nice. They can say say something negative about you and request for you not to come back. There complaint is never investesgated. It should be some kind of protocol to protect employees. Sts doesn't care about employees. The never offer incentives...no benefits no employee appreciation day. You never know what kind of assignment you may get.

Advice to Management

Make sure an proper investigation is done before yoi take the word of and teacher. Make sure we know what the assignment is. Detailed information such as the name of the teacher...the room number and what population you'll be working with if you accept the assignment.

6. Substitute Teacher

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at The Substitute Teacher Service part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Available jobs are posted online so we are able to look at when and where jobs are available. Substitute teachers choose which school districts we would want to work in so that our available jobs are limited to what we are willing to work. Substitute teachers also receive phone calls if still available for the day.

Cons

Sometimes phone calls will continue to be received even when the substitute teacher has selected the option on the phone to not receive any more phone calls for the day.

7. A great company to work for while waiting for a full time teaching position!

I worked at The Substitute Teacher Service part-time

Pros

It was really nice that all the calls were automated. If you didn't want the job you could just hang up, no hurt feelings! You could take off whenever and for as long as you wanted. It was basically a freelance job, but if you worked in a large district there was ALWAYS work!

Cons

The only thing that got annoying was how frequent the automated phone calls were. My district was huge so I got phone calls so often, I would have to shut off my phone!

8. STS

Current Employee - Building Substitute in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Building Substitute in Bethlehem, PA

Pros

I am a building substitute after a few months of day to day substitute work

Cons

Communication with supervisors. The staff at the school at which I work cannot e mail me or offer feedback. All correspondence must be done face to face or with STS. I have no idea who my supervisor with STS is.

Advice to Management

Allow an administrator at the schools be a liaison for communication and feedback.

9. It was okay

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher

Pros

Flexible.schedule, choice of assignment

Cons

No benefits, little respect from students and sometimes other teachers

Advice to Management

Get better compensation and benefits

10. Okay job, nice flexibility

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Media, PA
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Media, PA

I worked at The Substitute Teacher Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to choose what days you want to work, where you want to work, and how often. Finish after school lets out which is earlier than many 8-4, 9-5 jobs. Also, it's nice to see different schools and classroom setups.

Cons

Pay was mediocre. Some districts pay well if you reach a threshold of days worked there. Other districts pay have low rates of pay. Obviously, the better paying jobs are more difficult to get.

11. They treat you like your replaceable

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Aston, PA
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Aston, PA

I have been working at The Substitute Teacher Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I did get some teaching experience.

Cons

They won't tell you if a school doesn't want you to work for them. Their new policy is that you have to work so many days or they will make you inactive and won't tell you that your inactive. However, they won't tell you a set number of days which enables them to discriminate.

Advice to Management

Inform substitutes about their work status. Inform them personally if you make them ineligible or inactive about things.

RSS Feed </> Embed