The Teaching Company

Updated September 13, 2014
Updated September 13, 2014

Paul Suijk

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fantastic people to work with, but not for. Executive team at odds and competing with each other.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at The Teaching Company full-time

Pros

Smart, caring coworkers who are passionate about doing the job well. Liberal vacation policy (4 weeks, 1 week payback if you don't take it), decent benefits, great product.

Cons

Very difficult to get the time for that liberal vacation policy; lots of people forfeit time. Benefits are cut year over year. Production expectations and timelines are insane and get worse continually. Very very difficult to get promoted. The executive team backbites, competes, doesn't have a clue about how to work productively together. Old school marketing. Too much emphasis on high level of growth regardless of economic climate.

Start over with your "C" level team.

Crappy place to work

Former Employee - Customer Relationship Manager in Chantilly, VA

I worked at The Teaching Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Little focus on work quality, so employees don't need to focus so much on work

Cons

Have to suck up to your bosses or coworkers as promotion and many other benefits are determined by how you gel with others rather than your talents or contribution. Company has so much trouble to deal with that work environment is not pleasant. Generally boring, though they tend to overwork you and treat employees like slaves.

Revive employee morale

Terrible company with ineffective managers

I worked at The Teaching Company full-time

Pros

Free lunches for call center employees

Cons

Management team point fingers on critical business issues, e.g. high rank personnel in one division blamed mid level manager in other division in order to explain his division's disappointing performance, with the senior management approving that practice to cover up the issue on hand which is the company's declining business. Many employees are fired within a year of starting employment, an indication of ineffective hiring or management or employment practices. The company also often replace employees who have worked for a while with new employees with much less wage and experience levels who perform more or less the same work, resulting in business issues and unhappy employees. Company and management make false accusations and threats. Employees could end up having different hours, vacation allowance and work after starting versus what were marketed prior to joining, basically the company treat employees as easily dispensable minions, and they will do anything to get rid of people they don't want.

Need some management refresh and quality upgrade

Great job... maybe not a career

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Chantilly, VA

I worked at The Teaching Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The Teaching Company had flexible scheduling and a well educated and professional staff. There were also opportunities to work with other departments and branch out in responsibility.

Cons

Based on the size of the company and the nature of the work, there was not much room for advancement and career growth.

Not a bad experience but could be better

Former Employee - Customer Relationship Manager in Chantilly, VA

I worked at The Teaching Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The product is great and there are some fantastic people who work in Customer Care. I am very happy with some of the relationships developed over the time there.

Cons

Even without putting in any overtime every rep is so over worked but yet the company still seems to be losing money... or at least so they say.

The Teaching Company is not a place you want to work. Management is abusive to employees.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I worked at The Teaching Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cannot think of one. They take yearly salaries and work you to death without compensation.

Cons

Management has some fantasy that you can take straighforward teaching videos and make them into Star Wars. What loons.

Look at your own content material, communicate, actually speak to your employees, that might actually be a good thing. And Upper Managment, your whole company is in for a big fall, because of how your treat your people. It is called reaping and sowing.

Change starts from the top...

Current Employee - Customer Relationship Manager in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at The Teaching Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Teaching Company has a great product and that's what drew me to the company. Also, they are very health conscious and offer a very good benefits package.

Cons

Communication is lacking across the board at Teaching Company. The Marketing Department runs the show but their marketing tactics are antiquated and are quite bothersome to our customers and the website almost never works. The CEO is rarely around and is not well respected at all by most of the employees. Customer Care is never staffed highly enough to manage all the call volume and the supervisors are still quite green. There really are some good people that are highly motivated and qualified to make great changes, but the people at the top are not interested in seeing what they have unless the ideas are going to make lots of money.

Start listening to the feedback you're getting about company culture. Morale is down and by not communicating clearly or in a timely fashion this leads employees to come up with their own conclusions about what is going on in the company. Respect Customer Care department more, the reps are your workhorses, and rarely get any acknowledgement from you.

Very employee-centered publisher of world class academic courses.

I have been working at The Teaching Company

Pros

First off, company culture is really positive, and all of my managers and team members are just great well rounded people. I work in the call center, which can be stressful, and repetitive, sure. But the supervisors realize this, and do more than enough to keep everyone in the call center comfortable and in high spirits. Our benefits are just absolutely outstanding for being in a call center, and we are compensated much much better than any other group of call center people that I've ever heard of, except maybe in finance. Fully paid medical, dental, and vision, 401k and IRA, with a good match, lots of learning opportunities, and literally tons of catered meals during peak times. I go for weeks with out buying lunch sometimes... That may sound silly but it's really quite awesome. Also 4 weeks of paid time off starting, and super flexible schedules. We're all on salary which starts at around 35,000, plus we get time and a half paid on any overtime we work. Then there is the incentive plan, each month we have a revenue target, if we hit it we get a nice bonus!

Cons

Well, the only real downside to working here I'd say is dealing with rude customers over the phone, these are the exception, as ninety nine percent of calls I take are just fine, friendly folks. I am sitting most of the day, and every once in a while my wrists hurt from using a keyboard. TTC is a smaller company of about 200 people, we are growing but there isn't too many opportunities for advancement within the call center. I'm perfectly fine with that for the time being though.

Take this company public. ...but give me stock options first!