The Teaching Company

Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Paul Suijk

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great job... maybe not a career

Customer Service Manager (Former Employee)
    Chantilly, VA

ProsThe Teaching Company had flexible scheduling and a well educated and professional staff. There were also opportunities to work with other departments and branch out in responsibility.

ConsBased on the size of the company and the nature of the work, there was not much room for advancement and career growth.

Not a bad experience but could be better

Customer Relationship Manager (Former Employee)
    Chantilly, VA

ProsThe product is great and there are some fantastic people who work in Customer Care. I am very happy with some of the relationships developed over the time there.

ConsEven without putting in any overtime every rep is so over worked but yet the company still seems to be losing money... or at least so they say.

The Teaching Company is not a place you want to work. Management is abusive to employees.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Chantilly, VA

ProsCannot think of one. They take yearly salaries and work you to death without compensation.

ConsManagement has some fantasy that you can take straighforward teaching videos and make them into Star Wars. What loons.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your own content material, communicate, actually speak to your employees, that might actually be a good thing. And Upper Managment, your whole company is in for a big fall, because of how your treat your people. It is called reaping and sowing.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Change starts from the top...

Customer Relationship Manager (Current Employee)
    Chantilly, VA

ProsThe Teaching Company has a great product and that's what drew me to the company. Also, they are very health conscious and offer a very good benefits package.

ConsCommunication is lacking across the board at Teaching Company. The Marketing Department runs the show but their marketing tactics are antiquated and are quite bothersome to our customers and the website almost never works. The CEO is rarely around and is not well respected at all by most of the employees. Customer Care is never staffed highly enough to manage all the call volume and the supervisors are still quite green. There really are some good people that are highly motivated and qualified to make great changes, but the people at the top are not interested in seeing what they have unless the ideas are going to make lots of money.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to the feedback you're getting about company culture. Morale is down and by not communicating clearly or in a timely fashion this leads employees to come up with their own conclusions about what is going on in the company. Respect Customer Care department more, the reps are your workhorses, and rarely get any acknowledgement from you.

Very employee-centered publisher of world class academic courses.

Customer Relationship Manager (Current Employee)
    Chantilly, VA

ProsFirst off, company culture is really positive, and all of my managers and team members are just great well rounded people. I work in the call center, which can be stressful, and repetitive, sure. But the supervisors realize this, and do more than enough to keep everyone in the call center comfortable and in high spirits. Our benefits are just absolutely outstanding for being in a call center, and we are compensated much much better than any other group of call center people that I've ever heard of, except maybe in finance. Fully paid medical, dental, and vision, 401k and IRA, with a good match, lots of learning opportunities, and literally tons of catered meals during peak times. I go for weeks with out buying lunch sometimes... That may sound silly but it's really quite awesome. Also 4 weeks of paid time off starting, and super flexible schedules. We're all on salary which starts at around 35,000, plus we get time and a half paid on any overtime we work. Then there is the incentive plan, each month we have a revenue target, if we hit it we get a nice bonus!

ConsWell, the only real downside to working here I'd say is dealing with rude customers over the phone, these are the exception, as ninety nine percent of calls I take are just fine, friendly folks. I am sitting most of the day, and every once in a while my wrists hurt from using a keyboard. TTC is a smaller company of about 200 people, we are growing but there isn't too many opportunities for advancement within the call center. I'm perfectly fine with that for the time being though.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake this company public. ...but give me stock options first!

Worked for The Teaching Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Teaching Company reviews and ratings in Chantilly, VA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Teaching Company CEO Paul Suijk. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by The Teaching Company employees.